Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Open house? Good or bad idea?

+2
helena
Who B What E
6 posters

Go down

Open house? Good or bad idea? Empty Open house? Good or bad idea?

Post by Who B What E Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:10 am

I finally have all the paints and supplies I need, of course there are other things that I "want", but I really need to work on my speed before I advertise. I told my husband I won't order anymore paints until I start making money doing this. I have only done a few free church events and 1 craft show. I do have a facebook page for my facepainting and everyone tells me what a great job I do, but I just don't feel ready to really start up my business yet.

So I am thinking of having an open house and inviting all my facebook friends and their kids to come so I can practice all day to see how many faces I can paint in an hour. Is this a bad idea? What if they all come at once? I would appreciate any advise....
Who B What E
Who B What E

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2011-10-23

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Smiley-Faces-by-Jo/27768237893

Back to top Go down

Open house? Good or bad idea? Empty Re: Open house? Good or bad idea?

Post by helena Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:09 am

I would suggest inviting particular people that you know to your home - that way you're staying safe (rather than openly inviting strangers) and are more in control of who comes to your home.

If you don't mind the 'stranger-danger' thing, and wanted still to invite facebook friends generally to your home, you could say something like the first 30 people to contact you can come and then let them know individually that they 'got in' - then put up a notice saying that the spots have been filled...

Good luck! Could be fun Very Happy
helena
helena

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2011-04-13

http://fancythatfacepainting.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MasterpieceFacePainting Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:25 am

I was thinking of doing that, but I want to do it somewhere other than my home... Cause my home's a mess and I don't like everyone knowing where I live.

It's a great idea 'cause you can practice speed and get photographs for advertising and your board! I was thinking getting permission to use a local play park...
MasterpieceFacePainting
MasterpieceFacePainting

Number of posts : 509
Registration date : 2011-11-11

http://www.masterpiecefacepainting.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by rharris524 Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:21 am

I also think that i would do it outside of my home, like at a park...not sure what your weather is like right now...that way you can paint and not have to worry about "entertaining" everyone else while you paint. Besides, I'm not a big fan of large groups in my house, but that's just me. Natural light makes for nice pictures, too.
rharris524
rharris524

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2011-07-21

http://Www.kathisklowns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:01 pm

I would NOT invite strangers to my house en masse like that. When I recruit models it is by appointment individually or in family groups.

I would suggest contacting childcare programs, afterschool activity/care programs, recreations centres.... places where they have lots of kids to keep entertained. Offer to paint the kids as an activity in exchange for the right to take photos of your work... then you can practice, get your speed up AND get photos.

I did this many years ago at a local park where they had daycamps in the summer... they had parental releases for the camp for photos etc. and the kids that did not have signed releases did not get photographed.

Back to top Go down

Post by skjfunny Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:38 pm

#1 to me is to let people know you are experimenting with new designs. This gives the impression that your work is usually much better, warning it can get out of hand and frantic real quick.
Don't forget the p's.......
Proper prior preparation prevents poor performance
We have set up with a poverty after school program and donate our time several times a year. This is clearly a donation and they are thrilled.
There is a clear plan in advance of what faces we want to work on. Definitely have a plan or you'll be doing all the favorite faces over and over and this may prevent you from reaching your goal.
All three painters setup and from the time we enter the room it is full on working mode. No I'll take my time and setting up or chatting this is a freebie attitude. We require a different room which usually is the computer room at this school and then the children are brought in 3 at a time. We all three do the same face as it will be on our board as quickly as possible....BUT can stop to ask questions. (The children do not pick the faces, we already have a plan of what we need to work on.) I critique each face since we are the only ones in the room and show what changes would help. Each painter has their own camera and snaps a shot of each child.
This has been an incredible learning experience for our painters. They grow, have photos of each face to evaluate and to see exactly how many they did in the allotted time...really a reality check.
We send the school photos and each child takes home a picture with our info on a sticker on the back.
Now I don't mean it isn't a pleasant experience for the kids, but it teaches new painters how it is on a real job, you have to smile, laugh, deal with runny noses and move at the speed of lightening. When we have just asked for friends and family to volunteer we do not seem to accomplish as much. They all have ideas on what they want and those are welcome but not at this time.
This helps our community and we are surprised at the gigs it has brought us. Director at the school has given our name out to many well paying organizations. They see that we work to be better and are willing to give to our community...and all those little faces were showing up on fb and stopping by to see their grandparents and friends.
Would be very wary about posting on fb for open house. sunny
skjfunny
skjfunny

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2010-08-17

http://sunshinetheclown.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Fun2Play Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:54 pm

Oh wow, this is a great tip skjfunny! My mind is ticking!
Fun2Play
Fun2Play

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2011-06-04

http://www.fun2play.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Who B What E Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:08 pm

Great ideas everyone, thanks! I might just invite a bunch of my daughters friends over for an afternoon of facepainting, then the girls can take turns playing wii while they are waiting for their turn.
Who B What E
Who B What E

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2011-10-23

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Smiley-Faces-by-Jo/27768237893

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down