Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Airbursh System Help

+9
JBax
jenjenhana
Criss
SuzySparkles
Sweet Loretta
Tash
Megan in slc
Spectrum
sparklingfaces
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Airbursh System Help Empty Airbursh System Help

Post by sparklingfaces Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:21 pm

So I'm thinking of purchasing an airbrush tattoo system.
Here are some questions I need guidance and information on.

What's a good website for purchasing a complete system?
- I've never tried this and dont want to have to buy everything piece by piece, I'd rather have everything here and ready for me to use. I've looked at three different sites and their systems are soooo different, I'm a bit confused as to which to buy.

What are the down falls of air brushing?
Do you prefer the air compressors or the CO2 tanks?
What are pros and cons of each?
If I buy a system with a compressor, is it easily interchangable with a CO2 tank, or would I have to buy a different system to use the CO2 tank?
Because I want to do Tattoos with the longer lasting paints, do you find that your system gets clogged very often?
How long have you had your system?
How many times have you had to buy replacement parts?

How long was it before you started getting regular air-brushing gigs?
How much do you charge for an air brushing party / event?
How much would you say you made last year with your airbrush system alone?
Do you think that air brushing is faster than the brush?

thanks for your help!

*** more questions may be added as I'm thinking...lol
sparklingfaces
sparklingfaces

Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2009-09-20

http://www.sparklingfaces.net

Back to top Go down

Airbursh System Help Empty Re: Airbursh System Help

Post by Spectrum Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:38 pm

Wheeew-weeee, you sure know how to come up with questions, NO QUESTION ABOUT THAT!!! (too corny?)

Lets see....about airbrushing.

Usually artists use C02 tanks when electricity isn't available, like if you are at a fair or in a part of someones back yard and you dont want a 100ft extension cord running across the yard for guests to trip over all day. (For some reason people dont enjoy falling like they use to, and for some reason, I hate my airbrush getting unpluged 20 times a day, hehe, haha & a couple of tra-la-las). Compressors are great for indoors, they arent loud like the thing your dad has in the garage to pressure wash the house or blow up flat tires, so dont worry about that. They are also easily portable.

There are many pros and cons of each and believe me, people are QUICK to defend their method of choice. For the most part one of the biggest pros on airbrushing is that along with free hand designs, it allows you to use stencils (there are amazing stencils designed for 1/4 - to 1/2 - to full faces on the market. They come out razor sharp every time and look beautiful.....so really, the client is always getting what they paid for....they really are never dissapointed when their design doesnt end up looking like the picture they chose from your display board. Every once in a while you get that little angel who just doesnt think their traditional face paint (pot & brush style) deisign is up to par, we've all had them. With the airbrush...with practice of course, you always seem to get consistent results. HUGE PRO!

Systems arent cheap....they do have lower cost ones on the market but they are kinda whimpy and are more aimed for cake decorating and nail art...invest in something like an Iwata Smart Jet Pro, that's what I use and I love it....you will find that it's easy to use and built to last, I havent had any issues with mine PERSONALLY.

Tattoos, well, just because you want longer lasting designs for your tattoos, doesnt mean you need a thicker paint...there are some great airbrush paints out designed for tatoos that are finely micronized that are perfect for a day of clog free spraying. I personally really enjoy Graftobian FX Aire....it's a quality paint, FDA approved and all that jazz. It's been ground down finer than any paint on the parket and that means that clogs are few and far between, you just have to keep you gun well maintained and take care of it.

I've had my system for about 2 years now and I havent had to invest any money in replacement parts for any part of it. Again, this just varies on how well you keep your equipment, like I never use my airbrush to hang pictures when I just can't find my hammer. I crack myself up, sometimes...really I do!

Airbrush gigs come quickly because it's exciting and new, people love to watch it and you'll get a million questions about it...before the day is over you'll have one person convinced that they MUST become an airbrush face painter/tattoo person. That's a good feeling!

Cost for the gigs varies just like with traditional face painting - all depends on time and group size. Quality airbrush makeup isnt cheap but you do quickly get your money back. I encourage everyone to make good use of their business license and find a supplier who will sell you items at wholesale rather than retail...considering wholesale is about 50% less the majority of the time. PROMBLEM SOLVED COST WISE! Although I do also encourage that we support other face painters who are also dealers, in other words BUY THINGS FROM METINA...Im sure she's priced just as well as anyone and I've heard she's one cool chick.

Earning potential is unlimited...the more you work, the more you make. I've sat back and waited for people to just mail me money and for some reason the checks never come. But come to think of it, I've never just sent people money for no reason either, unless of course it's a holiday. I do really well with the airbrush system. Keep in mind, you can use it right along side with your regular face paint kit...no one is gonna stop ya.

Okay here we go...I hope this doesnt end up being controversial, as far as speed...of course it depends on the design, since some people have cheek art mastered and some people can hammer out 20 spiderman faces in 10 minutes. I personally find airbrush style face painting to be much faster than traditional style...It really amazes me how quickly I can blast through a line of people and how quickly my cash box gets stuffed with money.

I would like to say that I'm not saying that it's superior to traditional style face painting or much more grand....they are both super art forms and tons of fun. The above is just my opinion on the subject. I do both forms of face art and I enjoy them both. Anyone who is reading this, I think you are the best face painter on earth....and feel free to toss out your opinions. You will find that not everyone agrees with me, although they should!!!!!! Smile Joke.
Spectrum
Spectrum

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Megan in slc Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:34 pm

So I have a question for you. How many guns or what ever they call them do you work with when you are working. Are they all conected to the compressor at the same time?
Megan in slc
Megan in slc

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2009-04-24

http://www.clownarific.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:57 pm

I have two guns a good supply of tattoo ink and about 50-60 stencils.I consider this a very small set up. Obviously I have a compressor too.
I haven't advertised that I do this yet because I think I need more better quality stencils and some display signs etc before I allow people to book me for it. If someone hires me for a teenage or older party for face and body painting I usually offer it as an extra service for $20 an hour on top of my normal hourly rate. Then I make my man come with me and tattoo people - he's a carpenter so he will only use stencils although he did freehand a guys ears with zebra stripes once!
So what I need to know is ...... can I use the same gun for face painting that I use for tattoos? Even after I give it a good clean I'm still not happy about using the same gun for the different paints.
Also Spectrum can you share some pics of full faces you have sprayed?
I would like to see the difference.
I would love to try airbrushing face and body paint, but after buying all my face painting paints and all the airbrush tattooing equipment I need to make money before I spend it.
Oh and Sparkling Faces DON'T buy stencils off ebay - unless they come numbered in a book. Learnt that the hard way.
We bought our ink from Airbrush Body Art, they say they have the best ( doesn't everyone?) Not very happy with the red - it's very orangey so I use the magenta instead.
I've got to say - Using stencils makes me feel like I'm not really being very creative. When I paint I can use my imagination to the max - when I spray I feel limited and I get very sick of spraying a playboy bunny on a chicks boob!
I like the fact that if I go to a party where all the boys want tigers I can have 10 differnt tigers running around - not a carbon copy of the same tiger.
Also Spectrum while I'm here - do you find the little kids don't like the 'cold' spray on their face? And how do you handle going close to their eyes?
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:24 pm

Well, having airbrushed for over 30 years and having taught many an airbrush class since being one of the first few to do airbrush tattoos and even few to paint airbrush face art - my take on it is a bit different than Spectrum. If fact we differ greatly on some points - and I am not being controversial, and sorry because I know this reads mean and I do not intend it too ..... but I am reading this to my 17 yr old who works as an airbrush artist for me and has been at it longer than 2 yrs......... well we just have different input for answering. I do see your new and very enthused about airbrushing - cool.
You love it and you'll do good at it becasue of that.

And certainly too if I answered all these questions some will disagree with me. But certainly too, I have taught a few well know painters how to airbrush and they could have easily paid someone else, I value their trust.

And honestly, I did began to answer this and realized it just so much. I charge for private classes. At less than 1/2 through - pasted into Word it was 2 pages long..............

SparklingFaces I can say take a class, or join an airbrush forum to read archives and then ask questions for clarification......... which really will get you the best information - really -

but knowing how that, with the above differing of answers - some may then say I am not nice for not answering your questions........
do say anyone is free to email me for help and with questions to which I give my all.

Based on the fact you have never done airbrush I ( as I do for everyone) question the purchase of complete set-up which locks you into something that really may not be best suited for you - and can actually start you out at a higher cost than buying what you actually need and want - as noted by some questions such as inter-changeable parts.

Pre-made systems do work for some people - but they are more limited in what you can do with them rending one I think less artistic. And they are not a one stop price.
Sweet Loretta
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectrum Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:51 pm

I would love to read your opinions Sweet Loretta, I browsed your post but I didnt really see any pertaining to the questions the original memeber asked, would love to check them out if you get a few minutes one day. You'll get all kinda opinions, diversity is what makes the world go 'round. You didn't offend me at all...but then again I'm not easily offended, partly because I always think I'm right, partly because I don't care what anyone else says. Just joking...well, maybe! Smile Not offended. I love reading what others have to say.

I totally agree with Loretta on not buying a system as they are sold, many times they arent tailored to your needs although I do know of one website that does sell them pretty much complete with what "I" think you will require.

I don't know that i believe that anyone who has 50 years of experience is any better than someone who has been doing something for 6 months. I've seen artists less than a year in practice who are in my eyes MUCH better than some that have been painting for YEARS. Each person has their own artistic abilities and some are just naturally better than others (In my eyes and tastes). Experience is worth a ton though and that should be noted. Never let anyone discorage ya - most of the time it's just advice being taken from people who attempted something and just couldnt get the hang of it...not that it makes them any less of an artist, they could be killer at some other form.

I say that all of you can airbrush if you practice. I've never in my life wanted to do something that I couldnt do with a little practice....except horse shoes, that just aint for me!

Okay so I just typed a LOOOOOOOONG post answering some questions and I hit something and it went away *POOF* I will work on typing it back up in a while...I have to clean my 2 aquariums right now though. Clean tanks = happy fish
Spectrum
Spectrum

Back to top Go down

Post by sparklingfaces Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:26 pm

thanks for the info ladies, I was going to buy the bare minimum, but I didn't even know where to start. It just sounds easier to have a full set-up kit that's work-ready.

Will definately look for an airbrush forum.

thanks
sparklingfaces
sparklingfaces

Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2009-09-20

http://www.sparklingfaces.net

Back to top Go down

Post by SuzySparkles Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:45 pm

There is no need to be snarky over someones years of experience. Rolling Eyes

I just bought a gun... I hope to get some air brush paint soon so I can practice!! I used to airbrush paint my dad's slot cars and I remember it is mostly about controlling your spray... which just comes with practice!! Smile It was fun to do though!!
SuzySparkles
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:57 pm

Good I don't mean to offend. I am far past being right as in being humble I have learned far more.

I know many airbrush artists creating many types of varied art. And experience does matter. In saying you think your opinion is.... it shows your lack of knowledge of the depth of the airbrush.

Your are right in noting "people who attempted something and just couldn't get the hang of it" yet wrong in noting "all of you can airbrush if you practice".
Yes not everyone gets everything. Not everyone will get the hang of the airbrush. That is the beauty in diversity and in art.

As noted in my original post I did not answer the questions because there were far too many. I join forums to rah-rah painters and give information, thus support. I do not lay out my entire class - my livelyhood in one post for millions on the internet to read.

SparkleFaces here are some good forums -

Yahoo Group via Neil Roth - airbrush-temporary-tattoosand-bodyart
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/airbrush-temporary-tattoosand-bodyart/

Tat Connect via Ladyoh
http://www.tatconnect.com/

and all those sellers have fourms it seems - the most popular
via The Tat Store
http://www.tatstore.com/forum/
Sweet Loretta
Sweet Loretta

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectrum Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:08 pm

I'll answer any questions anyone may have to the best of my abilities, I'm not aiming to impress anyone but I will certainly do my very best to help each and every person I can. You can count on it!! Smile If you have a goal...GO FOR IT! I will never stop believing that anyone can do anything, that's how I've gotten to where I am in life. I have a strong faith. I wish ya the very best of luck and I see potential in everyone.
I'm just cool like that Smile I was raised by parents who instilled this in me and I will take it to my grave. Thanks for everyone who's commented, I enjoy you all. Smile
Airbrush is no more complicated than a paint brush once you get going....YOU CAN DO IT!!! This all reminds me of The Little Engine That Could for some reason.
Spectrum
Spectrum

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectrum Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:13 pm

You are so right Suzy....as with anything the more you practice, the better you get. Controlling the spray is a huge part for sure. Why do you have to be so cool all the time??? Smile You rock!

No hard feelings to anyone....I share my ideas, you share yours...we're all in this together. As soon as you start thinking you are better than others, thats when ya go downhill.

SPECTRUM
Spectrum
Spectrum

Back to top Go down

Post by Criss Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:14 pm

If your not interested in sharing information and ideas, don't respond
Criss
Criss

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:06 am

All of that and I'm still waiting for someone to tell me if I can use the same gun for the different paints and inks.
And I'm still waiting for someone to share a full face airbrushed design.

I agree that if you don't want to share your knowledge then don't answer the post.
If there is someone here that can and would like to answer all Sparkling's questions then Great! If others want to keep their hard earned info to themselves then good for them but we don't really need to know that you have the answers and won't share them.

Is Metina ok with posting links to other forums??
Even if they are affiliated with face painting, I would keep the other forum link sharing to private msgs... but that's just me.
Wlidcatfin has done some awesome airbrush work..... but I haven't seen her around here in Ages...... wonder where she got to??
Sparklingfaces have a look at wildcatfin's website, she does some awesome work and I'm sure she would be happy to help you out with any questions you have too.

Happy Paintings people!!
Tash
Tash
Tash

Back to top Go down

Post by jenjenhana Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:20 am

Well, I don't own my own system, so I can't answer your questions on where's the best place to buy stuff (I will ask my boss this week, he's a frugal SOB so he knows the best deals) and get some more info. I only have a year of experience. However, I think that is long enough to consider myself proficient with putting paint on a stencil. Free hand, I tip my hat to you.....
That being said, at our company we use the Iwata Eclipse guns with 8 hose regulators and CO2 tanks. We use those brushes for both regular paint and tattoo ink with the only difference being in clean up. We use alcohol (not the fun kind) to clean the stencils, etc. With the 8 hose regulators we have access to 7 colors without any change-over. We have the basic 5 (white black blue red yellow) plus green and pink. That leaves us an extra hose (just in case). I have not used a compressor, but, omg, if I had to have it plugged in at every event I would cry, we can't get our clients to remember small requests and I don't want to add a new one. However, you would never have to worry about filling and transporting pressurized liquid gas. CO2 tanks can be heavy and should be secured to something at an event (just in case).
There are a lot of "just in cases". With anything mechanical, you have to be prepared for something to just not work. We clean and lubricate our equipment after every event, but ocaasionally, a brush just gives us the finger and won't play. Was it the brush? Was it the adaptor cap? Was it the paint consistancy? Lots of variables, not as straight forward as pot paint, you know? So you need to be prepared with a back up plan. With regular maintanence though, brushes last a loooooooong time. Our brushes have hundreds of uses a year, and we have not had to officially retire one of the Iwatas yet. We have had to repair small parts (needles mainly, they are so fragile and can bend at the tip) but that's it. Regulator hoses tend to succumb to abuse quicker, maybe because we don't respect them as much, lol.
I do have to say, when it comes to cheek art and small eye designs, airbrush is faster. Unless you can find someone who can paint 70 faces an hour. And I'm talking multi-color with embellishments and glitter, no cheating! That would be awesome, and I will eat my words. We get a lot (almost two to one) requests for airbursh artists, mostly for big venues like school carnivals and sports events, fairs etc. People really do get a kick out of the airbrush systems and they think it is more sanitary (whatever, of course I think that is silly). We charge 20% more for our AB than our free hand face painting. I think that depends on your market and I would google your area and do some snooping. Out of all of the entertainment services our company offers, AB is the biggest seller. I can't think of anything else right now.
Ah! Yes I did.....you have to adjust your approach with AB. Kids love getting painted, we all know that, but once they see this big silver gun that looks like something painful at the doctor's office, they get scared. So, you have to "woo" them. Paint mom or dad first, older sibling, legs or arms instead of the face......it tickles them, or if your pressure's too high, it stings. Really! That $%!# can sting! Then they will jerk and ruin the whole thing. Oh, and I love this one - you will continually have parents literally holding down a screaming, writhing child and tell you to put one on "real quick." So, once again, practice your diplomacy.......I have to be very careful because I get really ticked off at those types of parents. I mean, are they insane? It's just face paint for crying out loud, not a life saving vaccine! Bunch of bozos.
Ok, seriously, I need to go to bed...I hope this helped. Have fun shopping! I love getting new toys!
jenjenhana
jenjenhana

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2009-10-08

http://www.fenixfaba.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectrum Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:57 pm

The above article was very very very well written...I'll add some more info when I get off work, or I will try to. I'm on lunch now so I gotta be getting back!
Spectrum
Spectrum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:30 pm

I don't mind answering questions - hence I posted.
My goal is to get SparkleFaces what she needs. However, it was a lot to answer in fell swoop, something as I wrote and privately let her know was best done via emails. I find it interesting that some want folks to write all the answers here yet question then giving resources.

The reality is a good deal of what she wants is already written out there by folks who are well respected authorities in the airbrush industry. There is only value it doing one's homework. It is one thing to answer a question or three, but to write a book in a post is redundant. Even after one reads a replies here - they still need to check the facts - hence go straight to the source.

In doing one's homework in fact they will find I have written online in detail much information over the years all the answers to what she asks. So it is no secret that I have over the last few years told people get in a class, email me privately and pointed them to resources. Generally short of taking a class - which I advocate, if you want it online it is already there waiting for people in its proper place. And if you ask about airbrushing people, henna, glitter tattoos, body painting, hand painting tattoos, or FX effects on a face painting forum certainly it is only correct to direct people to magazines, books, classes, conventions, DVD's and online resources to help them find what they need.

As for snarky - I'll bite my tongue here and note read the thread more carefully. I have been in this business a long time and I am perfectly content in being perfect and perfectly flawed. Those who promote themselves with being "right" or answering it all, reply to every post, whatever...... is fine. I know who I am. If we were all the same what a boring world that would be.
Sweet Loretta
Sweet Loretta

Back to top Go down

Post by SuzySparkles Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:57 pm

I think it is great that we have people like yourself who have many many years of experience and I think it is great to have people here that are just starting out. It makes for an interesting group of people with all different opinions. She asked a few general questions to the group and those who have experience offered their opinion and that was that... If you had just simply said "If you want to email me I will give you some help but there is just too much for me to write out here" That would have been fine, but you used it as an opportunity to cut down other peoples ideas and years of experience. No matter how long you have been air brushing, it doesn't mean that other people's opinions don't matter. She didn't ask you specifically anyways. I think we have a great group of people here and I would hate for people to start getting snarky and rude.
SuzySparkles
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectrum Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:15 pm

I love the forumness (I'm sure that isnt a word) of this whole site, I guess what I appreciate most is that everyone throws their ideas and opinions out there and we all talk about it together...for everyone to see. If we turned the whole thing into private messages well, there wouldnt be any forum.

Let me be the first so say that I don't think I'm better than anyone on here but at the same time I dont think there's anyone any better than me. You kinda gotta feel that way to be successful & positive. (In my little world) It also keeps ya humble. I always say that confidence has a certain charm, conceit does not. My opinion is never the final word...I have a lot to learn and I enjoy every one of you. Hey you reading this...EVEN you! Smile

To answer a previous question...I've seen airports or manifolds that support anywhere from 3 all the way up to 11 airbrushes at a time, that way you dont have to swap out your color cups each and every time. You can just pick up a brush and go! It is usuallly cheaper to buy the guns or airbrushes as lots, meaning it's cheaper to buy a group of 6 rather than just piece by piece. You can just use one gun the entire day time though, you just have to be prepared to be slowed down a bit by constantly having to swap out your color cups...no biggie, just much easier when ya got a few guns. When you make money you can invest in more guns as you go along if you dont have it upfront to invest in 6 or 8 right away. Don't worry about it! Smile

You can use airbrush makeup and then swap to something else like spray tanning with no problem, you just have to properly clean the brush each time. Spray tanning can make you tons of money, especially the more aware people become of how hamful UV rays are from the sun. It's a high dollar industry and there is MUCHO money to be made in it. This is another reason that airbrushes are well roudned and less likely to sit idle.

On the first page of this posting I commented on user who wrote a great response....and that had a lot of good information in it...I really enjoyed reading it, I would post who read it but I'm afraid if I hit the back button all of my typing will vanish. Suzysparkles also made some great points about how important controlling the spray flow is....and she also mentioned how with practice you dont even think about that anymore and it ends up coming more easily. As long as you follow the reccomended P.S.I. suggested by the makers of the product and set your guage to that level, you'll be okay. I love the feel of airbrush paint being sprayed on the skin, it's cool...and very lightweight. You dont have to worry about consistency nearly as much because it's premixed in most cases and it holds up great. You dont get nearly as many runs in paint from having it too wet. Again you have to practice, just like if you hold a spraypaint can in one place and spray for too long you will get runs.

I'm working on getting a website up and running now so that I can show you guys some of my work!

I have to go cut the grass now, unless someone wants to come on over and do it for me.....I'll airbrush your face, give you a spray tan and a hug! C'mon, any takers???? You all rock!

SPECTRUM
Spectrum
Spectrum

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectrum Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:19 pm

Oh, it was jenjenhana who wrote a nice response to the questions the orignal poster asked. I thought it was written really cool and had great info....check it out!

SPECTRUM
Spectrum
Spectrum

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:51 am

Come on guys, Seriously? Have we turned into one of those forums where we don't give everyone the benefit of the doubt cause this medium doesn't allow for bodylanguage and inflection?

Loretta has been around here forever, she just doesn't talk as much as I do. I think she gave her experience for crediblity purposes because we have tons of new members. And she did offer help.... suggested classes and offered email support.

And Specturm said he wasn't offended by her statements. scratch So what's the problem?

I think this speaks to a general change in the tone of the forum that I've sensed, and it's unfortunate. Sad
JBax
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:55 am

JBax - you are right.
Just because a post is read as mean, doesn't mean it was intended that way.
All she wanted to do was help point in the right direction.
I was hoping that this forum had a ' My info is too valuable to give away' virus
protection.
All the information I have has come from someone nice enough to share it with me so by passing it on I feel I am returning the favor.
I apologize to Loretta if I sounded harsh, I didn't mean to.
I fully respect her experience and her decision not to share everything she knows.
It's just the first time I've come across this on this forum.
Stay Happy people, this is a happy place for happy painters.
Lets keep it that way.
Each to their own I always say.

Very Happy
Tash
Tash
Tash

Back to top Go down

Post by paintedyou Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:58 am

I would say don't be afraid to start smaller and add on. I started using one-two airbrushes with black only and using a little colored cosmetic shine powder to add color shine (this also sets the tattoo), and people were happy with this, and I still often do this. You can get stencils and tattoos even on ebay, and don't let anyone tell you that the quality is bad just because you didn't buy from Temptu. TribalInk.com and ABA (airbrush body art in Australia) are great. I have a selection of tattoos from all different places, and if you're good on the computer you can scan the stencils or spray them on paper and scan for custom flash. Full systems are a big investment and it could take a long time to make that money back. You can buy small compressors used online too. I have a badger compressor that my Dad's friend gave me. It's about 20 years old and works great- it's probably made better than anything made now. I use badger anthem airbrushes - they work great, so don't let anyone tell you that Iwata is the only quality airbrush available - I have used Iwata eclipse for a job I had a couple summers ago and it's not really any better. Get a coupon to Michaels or AC moore and get it badger anthem 40% off, as long as you clean it properly, it will work great. I hope this helps. Everyone has great advice, and this is mine.
paintedyou
paintedyou

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2009-06-01

http://www.paintedyou.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:16 pm

Thanks for the support. And I never feel an apology is need unless you flat out accuse me of a falsehood. As I wrote I know who I am, and trust me I have no small ego, but I do know when being humble behooves my spirit.
And to those who think I was snarky - hey when the shoe fits I wear it.
I found it and do find it offensive for someone to contradict themselves in posts and yet tout to be always be right - hence I pointed that out - as it continues however, I'll stop here.

It is very easy to find out who I am, I am all over the WWW and make no bones about what I do and do not know. At times I am guarded in this very public setting, especially when I do not find information on who you are. Other times I am pretty open.

Therefore you can always be assured what I know and post - publicly or in private - I have learned hands on as a pioneer in this industry, and thru the many valued relationship and friendships I have within this industry.

I find this a place to discuss face paint and find other better sources for airbrush.

I have sent information to SparklingFaces and sent her resources, and feel confident she know she can ask me anything.

Last edited by Sweet Loretta on Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sweet Loretta
Sweet Loretta

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectrum Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:14 pm

If anyone still has any airbush questions, I'm here on this forum and I'll be glad to answer them for you. They might not be to everyones liking but I assure ya I will give you honest answers from my personal experience Smile I'm not going to post any links or anything because this is the forum I enjoy personally.

If I don't know an answer I will just let someone else pick it up where I left off. I'm not sure what the rule is on posting links...I've seen them posted here on the forum but seem to remember something about them in the guidelines, just cant remember the specifics at this moment. Donna Nowak is an awesome person FILLED with knowledge about airbrush and face painting if you want to look her up. She also has AMAZING stencils that do not look generic whatsoever...ones you would never get tired of using because they are interchangeble and just awesome. I know she's a busy lady but everytime I've interacted with her she's a doll and teaches classes at FABAIC...so she surely knows her stuff! You can learn from any of these fine people on the forum as well...I'm not sure if Donna is a member or not.

I'm here for for support and to give support....I'm gonna do my best to keep it that way. I've only been a member for a short time but with I really do think all the people I've met so far are cool cats, SSIMFT.

SPECTRUM <------ because that's me!
Spectrum
Spectrum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:28 pm

Sorry I can't resist ----

Having just spoken to Donna ........

Many of those folks whom I hold in my heart are the well know instructors, as as for airbrush I know for a fact I will not give any different advice than my friends - Donna Nowak, Stephanie McGrathy, Marta Fischer, Pashur, Neil Roth, Nick Herrea, Mark Greenawalt, Alex Hanson or Star Sheilds will give you - I've sat in some of their classes and some of them in mine. If you want to ask any of them as Spectrum suggests - let me know they're all in my cell phone. But do take their advice with a grain because they like me are all experienced and you know what Spectrum told you experience isn't worth anything.

I know that airbrush forums are more male based and 100% snarky in every non urban dictionary sense of the word - but of course we can't all swim with snarky sharks in the big ponds. And I do post information to resources so those asking can find out where these folks are and to help you find what you want to know. There is not much point in me carrying bucket after bucket to you when I can point you to the lake. For now I'll be at the lake with my shark friends when it comes to airbrush. I can't possibly think there is anything on airbrush I will ever post here that Spectrum won't have to tit-for-tat because of course he is always right.

Still Sweet - and always Snarky,
Loretta
Sweet Loretta
Sweet Loretta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down