Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Practice on your own face?

3 posters

Go down

Practice on your own face? Empty Practice on your own face?

Post by stunningaxis Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:02 pm

I have been hobby face painting for a few years now, and am slowly stepping up the complexity of my designs. I see alot of you practice on your own faces. Do you think this helps when painting others? Or is the better bet to get a practice head?

stunningaxis

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2017-07-19

Back to top Go down

Practice on your own face? Empty Re: Practice on your own face?

Post by Meadowlark Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:43 pm

So far I've been practicing on wax paper and my arms and thighs. My own face gets made up when I'm trying to figure out a contour for a design, or else how soft/rough a new kind of sponge or brush feels, so I'll know if it's gentle enough to use on someone else.

I haven't used a practice head yet, but I'm sure it'd be useful. You can only get your friends and family to sit as models so many times before they go on strike. Wink
Meadowlark
Meadowlark

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2017-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:39 pm

i tried practicing on my own face but it's kind of the opposite of painting someone else - your brush is aimed in the opposite direction, you are looking in a mirror, it is much slower.

so i don't think it is useful for developing on-the-job skills. more useful for those who do tutorials.

i got a practice "face shell" that slips over a head, i use it on a cheap styrofoam head.
practice heads and faces are notorious for staining, need to scrub with rubbing alcohol and scrubbing sponge.

i find my arm is the best medium - real skin, i can point my brush in the right direction, cleans off easily.
the downside is there's not a lot of real estate for larger designs, lol.

the new plastic practice sheets get good reviews.
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by stunningaxis Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:59 am

Meadowlark wrote:
You can only get your friends and family to sit as models so many times before they go on strike. Wink

HA HA HA - love this line - it is so true. My kids have told me no more - I tried to get my husband to sit down and let me practice on him - but that was a no go! He is bald and I told him I would just paint his head! (he did not like that comment!)

anywhoo - thanks for the advice!

stunningaxis

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2017-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down