Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Calculating Cost of Supplies-How dyou figure yours out?

5 posters

Go down

Calculating Cost of Supplies-How dyou figure yours out? Empty Calculating Cost of Supplies-How dyou figure yours out?

Post by pandapants Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:35 pm

Hi all, and thank you for paying attention to my first post. Been creeping the boards for awhile so figured its about time to participate.

I have had clients either 'pay me for supplies' on top of my wage, or on the rare occasion where I paint out of the goodness of my own heart, i just charge for supplies.

I can't figure out a way to measure these down to a science. I just picked up a $112 haul from a face painting shop [I use high quality stuff, never anything cheap, and just about never use snazaroo, those gross cream grease paints that i see people use, etc.]

I estimated the last one at $40, largely because i finished my white cake off, but i can't get the math. How dyou figure out yours? What is a rough ballpark figure of what you charge? I cant exactly measure the precise amount that came out of my 90g paint..

Actually i guess i could, with a very small scale, but no.

Thoughts?

pandapants

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-10-06

Back to top Go down

Calculating Cost of Supplies-How dyou figure yours out? Empty Re: Calculating Cost of Supplies-How dyou figure yours out?

Post by fesspenter Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:59 pm

Dear pandapants:
Welcome to the Forum!
Come on over to the "Introductions" thread and post about yourself.
If you go into your Profile, above, and post your general location, you may get more specific, and useful advice from your local face painters. It is easier to get noticed and invited to local jams when people know you are in the neighbourhood.
In the beginning, I ploughed every penny, and then some, back into my kit. Now, I try to reserve 10% of the payment back into my kit. That is working fairly well, to keep me from overdosing on face paint, glitter, brushes, airbrush, & sponges.
I had some huge events coming up, and I want to create kits that are identical to my own, for each of my team members to use. So I just ignored my 10% rule. That is a one time exception.

You will find different answers from different painters.

Happy Painting!
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Calculating Cost of Supplies-How dyou figure yours out? Empty Re: Calculating Cost of Supplies-How dyou figure yours out?

Post by pandapants Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:40 pm

brilliant, that is a great tip. will check out the intro forum.. thank you!

pandapants

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:19 pm

usually, the advertisement for the face paint will tell you an estimate of how many faces you can paint with that size cake. you could try to do an estimate based on the number of cakes you have, and how many colors per design, along with all the accessories you use per event.

however, i think you probably just need to use up some supplies to figure it out.
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:13 am

The cost of face paints is rolled into ones overhead. Most small businesses can figure 30% as overhead. Very small may be higher, and larger businesses will be lower.

What you want to do is make a job cost sheet. There is an actual business formula to figure the actual/gross/net on each job a business performs.

Since you are asking only about supplies then as posted you do need an idea of how many applications per paint cake, ounce of glitter, ect used per person. Then do the math. If you do not know then one must make a guess. Having used a cake already you should have some idea how many people you painted.
Sweet Loretta
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:28 am

I have a spreadsheet to calculate my costs per face

You can find it on my webpage to download under my 'Links" tab or on my blog at http://shannonfennell.wordpress.com/2012/07/01/business-tips-for-face-painters-body-artists-and-make-up-artists-7-setting-your-rates/ which goes through the process with instructions.

Back to top Go down

Post by amylady222 Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:07 am

I was just going to suggest Shannon's spreadsheet.

It is pretty awesome!
amylady222
amylady222

Number of posts : 1176
Registration date : 2012-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down