Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Calculating costs. How and why??

+2
Psalmbook
maurs
6 posters

Go down

Calculating costs.  How and why?? Empty Calculating costs. How and why??

Post by maurs Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:01 pm

I was at a meeting of artists today and the usual conversation about us under valueing our work came up. I thought this thread might be helpful to folk who forget to, or don't factor in certian costs. I also found that when I explained my cost's to the client, they were fine about it.

Anyway, I'll get the ball rolling, this is how I calculate travel simply...

Travel.
I usually charge €10 per hour while I'm in the car (driving is a job, I charge 25% more than min wage for Ireland because I reckon a drivers licence is a qualification) plus the petrol. For example, I had a gig about 2 1/2 hours away on Sat, it had some tolls and the petrol was almost a tank so I rounded it up to €100 travel. It was a corporate gig, I imagine a private party wouldn't book someone so far away.

The furthest private party was about 1 hour away (€20) and another €15 petrol. Again they were fine about it.
maurs
maurs

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2010-07-19

Back to top Go down

Calculating costs.  How and why?? Empty Re: Calculating costs. How and why??

Post by Guest Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:57 pm

I charge mileage ($0.50 km) IF the venue is OVER 50 kms round trip from my home - that is for the total trip, not just the part over the 50 kms.

It is a very long distance between places up here and while I COULD charge them an hourly rate it would vary as highway driving (at 100 or 110 km/hr) and gravel road driving (60-80 km/hr) is very different time wise, AND weather conditions have a bearing too.

I often do jobs 252 kms away so the mileage charge on that is $252.00 That is easy to calculate too - just the one-way trip in dollars!

Back to top Go down

Post by maurs Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:41 am

I hope Daizy doesnt' mind, I'm pulling a quote of hers from another thread because it got me thinking about costings. There's nothing like experience to teach you lifes' lessons.

Daizy wrote:It is hard too, the splitting thing, so far I have just done a few small events so have kept their cash 'under the table', although I made the fatal mistake of just splitting 50/50 (straight after an event so I was not able to think clearly) and I forgot to take out the stall fee, the kitty I put in, the lunch money they already took out.... needless to say I came out very empty in the pocket.

The lesson here I guess is to always have in mind 'expensise first, pay after'. Cost the gigs expensis before you even negotiate.
1) Travel
2) Food
3) Stall
4) Extra crew
5) Extra bought stuff especially for the gig, eg. a themed item or neon paints for a night gig.
6) Time slots that cost more or less (is mid-week a cheaper time for the client, what about Saturday nights??).

I have to admit, I've often been lax in these matters and I really think it helps to bounce these ideas off others. Big thanks, Shannon for being so generous with your experience with fellow painters

Smile
maurs
maurs

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2010-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:46 pm

You're welcome. Very Happy

Just have to say - that is why is it SOOOO important that you take the time to figure out your costs BEFORE you set your rates... You HAVE to cover them, plus some profit, or why even bother?

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:02 am

Can't I just charge $500/hr and be done with it Very Happy
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:35 am

Psalmbook wrote:Can't I just charge $500/hr and be done with it Very Happy

cheers
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:49 am

well you could.... but I don't think you'd be very busy. Laughing
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:00 pm

$500 a day is fine with me. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Terina Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:23 pm

I am still trying to figure out all the costs involved with traveling. I think after reading this I should rework things. I usually do a small travel fee for about $25 for something within an hours radius of me. This covers the gas expenses. Are there other things I should be considering instead of gas?
Terina
Terina

Number of posts : 616
Registration date : 2010-09-27

http://www.royalmagicevents.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BluAngL83 Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:53 pm

I charge on distance/time traveled. If it's going to take me an 1 hr to get there + 1 hour back for a 2 hour (minimum for that distance) gig, then I charge maybe an $50-75 more b/c you are loosing gigs that could be closer. But thats just me Smile
BluAngL83
BluAngL83

Number of posts : 851
Registration date : 2009-06-22

http://www.heavenlyfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:34 pm

Wear and tear on your vehicle, insurance, registration, gas, oil, etc. All the costs associated pro-rated out.

But I like the figuring based on lost gig time too!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down