Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are everyone's estimates on what it costs to paint a face?

+4
Doe
Perry Noia
martha
TinafromNY
8 posters

Go down

What are everyone's estimates on what it costs to paint a face? Empty What are everyone's estimates on what it costs to paint a face?

Post by TinafromNY Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:25 pm

I'm just curious...without liquid bling, etc, just with glitter, what do you think a face costs to paint? Like the type you would do at a birthday party or festival? I've read on some sites like Silly Farm that it's about up to 15 cents. I know my paints last a LONG time, even after doing multiple parties, festivals etc. It's got to be only pennies. Curious what others would estimate! Thanks.
TinafromNY
TinafromNY

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2012-07-05

http://www.facefanaticfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

What are everyone's estimates on what it costs to paint a face? Empty Re: What are everyone's estimates on what it costs to paint a face?

Post by martha Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:59 pm

Shannon had it figured out but it was more than pennies by the time you figured in insurance, supplies, travel, advertising, and time. Maybe she will weigh in on this one.
martha
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

What are everyone's estimates on what it costs to paint a face? Empty Re: What are everyone's estimates on what it costs to paint a face?

Post by Perry Noia Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:34 pm

yeah, there's way more to account for than just the paint that goes onto their face... gas to get there, training, wear and tear on your brushes and sponges, containers, director chairs, booth fees, etc. etc.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Doe Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:01 pm

Snazaroo lists how many faces you can paint with each of their palettes - it does help you to figure out basic supply expenses... but, of course, we all know that supplies are not the only expenses.
Doe
Doe

Number of posts : 406
Registration date : 2011-08-26

http://www.doearts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:14 pm

Here is all you could ever want to know about figuring out your cost per face:

http://shannonfennell.wordpress.com/2012/07/01/business-tips-for-face-painters-body-artists-and-make-up-artists-7-setting-your-rates/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:22 pm

Doe wrote:Snazaroo lists how many faces you can paint with each of their palettes - it does help you to figure out basic supply expenses... but, of course, we all know that supplies are not the only expenses.

They do... but frankly I have never felt those numbers were accurate.

I can use up an 18ml cake of Snaz White in a week if I am doing a show - I'm talking, say, 10 animals a night for 2 dress, 4 performances... that's 60 faces... and just one cake of white. So I wouldn't put any faith in advertised face counts!

Last edited by Shannon Fennell on Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Back to top Go down

Post by martha Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:01 am

Shannon, you have some freaking awesome resources! Thank you for sharing.
martha
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by amylady222 Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:56 am

Shannon is pretty amazing! We really are blessed to have some unbelieveable knowledge in this forum---I would name names, but I am sure to leave someone out!! I stumbled upon another facepaint forum thing and it didn't seem nearly as good in quality of pictures and information. Glad I found this one first or I would be still so lost!

amylady222
amylady222

Number of posts : 1176
Registration date : 2012-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by daphne78 Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:11 am

Shannon, this is a brilliant way to set the wright price, but in the starting period it's still difficult.

I have a wish to get payed, but still just 1 gig (oke, it will help when other people know that I'm available Smile that part is my own mistake.... I feel a little ashamed to promote it, but that's the only way people are going to know)

So I have no clue about how many hours I will be painting.
At this point I'm checking out the other painters in my town, but... I'm a newbie and they are not!
If I'm going to set my price lower I might get some of their bookings, but to be hounest...I don't know if they have bookings! Last time I saw a facepainter in my town it was from a different town...

Oke.. different subject sorry Very Happy
(but I'm going to change you're great XLS form in to Dutch and I will use it... if only for my mirror on my costs)
daphne78
daphne78

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2012-08-22

http://daphneschminkt.webklik.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by mamakatrien Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:40 am

fantastic overview, thank you shannon!
mamakatrien
mamakatrien

Number of posts : 486
Registration date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:08 am

Even in terms of simple paint cost, you need to factor in practice sessions, I think. After all, if you paint every single day to improve your skills, that's going to deplete your stash over time. That drives up the actual paint cost per face at a gig.
Kammy
Kammy

Number of posts : 1408
Registration date : 2012-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:46 am

Yes, and it should. Practise is part of the equation so your total use of supplies is factored in. It is all overhead costs.

You have to look at this all as a business and ALL related expenses have to be considered when calculating the actual COST of painting a face.

Back to top Go down

Post by TinafromNY Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:06 am

Thanks everyone.
Shannon, thanks for the link to your article. Can you tell me how much the ebook is? It didn't seem to have a price anywhere without checking out (unless I missed it somehow).
TinafromNY
TinafromNY

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2012-07-05

http://www.facefanaticfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:15 am

Tina, I recall it being about 25.00 (GBP) here, if that helps?
Kammy
Kammy

Number of posts : 1408
Registration date : 2012-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:46 pm

Yes, it is GBP 25 which paypal will convert to your currency *exchange rates vary.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down