Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Got my first call from someone wanting to know how i got into the business

+3
eviedejesus
rthling
Maxell
7 posters

Go down

Got my first call from someone wanting to know how i got into the business Empty Got my first call from someone wanting to know how i got into the business

Post by Maxell Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:06 pm

I know i Have read it on here before about getting phonecalls from people wanting to know how you got started. This lady calls me today to ask me where i got my training, where i found all my products, and would I be willing to teach her. Basically she wanted me to pass on all my knowledge of trial and error and countless video watching, conversing, and forum reading so that she could then go out and "do it, cause it looks like fun". So, in my head in 3 seconds I have decide how to deal with this.

My market area is not big enough for 2 "professional" facepainters. No one yet pays for facepainters to go to B-day parties yet. I am also greatly concerned about the image of facepainting in the area. I have a very nice booth....i use a separate sponge for each child. I am a registered nurse, and use hand sanitizer between kids. I stick to the rules of no one under 3....I have insurance...I don't get lumped in with the other "facepainters" who draw whiskers and a nose on a kid and call it a cat. I have spent the last year working hard to get to the level i am at.

So....I basically tell her that it has taken a lot of work...countless hours of reading, watching videos...conversing with others to get to my level. I also inform her that what she saw in my kit, is literally about 1k in supplies...and you can ask my wife...it is. I then inform her about the quality of brushes I use. I said, you ever been to Micheals? She was like yes....i told her next time go down the brush isle and look for Loew Cornell black handle....look at the prices and you will end up spending 100 bucks just to start out to get the range of brushes I have. I informed her that each one stroke she saw ranges from 15 to 18 dollars...remember, I am in Canada...with shipping, exchange rate and taxes...its not cheap to order in Canada

I talked to her about hygiene....about not using acrylic paints....sponges....and then I said...oh don't forget insurance....she was like "what???". I said any and every legitimate facepainter should have insurance. I said if a child you paint has a reaction... or falls out of your chair, I said, the parents can sue....You need insurance. I think that was the nail in the coffin for her idea of getting into facepainting. She was like, "You need insurance?"

I told her that everything she saw in my booth i bought myself...from the tables, chairs, canopy, a frame, directors chair, garbage pails...water buckets...the chain that surrounds my booth, the mirrors...etc....I said my booth cost me over 400 to get it too the level you saw it at. I am the type of person who likes to present a good image.

Do you need all this to start out?? Of course not, but I have to say, I'm irked at people who think facepainting is a joke. Oh, I forgot to tell you how she started the conversation, "It looks so easy to do and that's why I want to do it." Wow...i read on the forums and on facebook that people say that to facepainters, but when it actually happens to you....my blood pressure went up. I said... to do what I do, is anything but easy.

Part of me feels like a s@!t for doing this...I honestly don't want competition, as I am just starting out, but I could tell from her questions that this was a person who was just gonna do it for "fun" and was not going to put the time and effort into doing it right and potentially ruin what I tried to start in this county. I therefore felt that I wasn't going to aid in her decision to start painting. Also, I do have a person who I have been training who wants to do legitimate work....good quality paints...brushes...the desire to do good work...etc. She is a co worker of mine and she has put the time and effort in.

Was I wrong??? or right??? what have you done when faced with this very same scenerio?

Maxellbia

P.S. Maxell is my gaming name from the 90s...and BIA is "Brothers in Arms" I have 2 younger brothers who play online games as well and we use this as a name ending....it has stuck...just wanted to explain what that is...don't know why...just do.

I am James btw!!!!!!

Maxell
Maxell

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2013-05-24

Back to top Go down

Got my first call from someone wanting to know how i got into the business Empty Re: Got my first call from someone wanting to know how i got into the business

Post by rthling Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:59 pm

James,
I think it's important to let potential competitors know what is expected of a professional face painter. If she wants to start painting face, you won't be able to stop her. And if she is run off by the info you gave her, she doesn't want to do it for the right reasons. I would classify her as unworthy of instruction, but I'm a hard*ss about such things.
If she is truly interested in joining the face painting community, having someone who understands the level of professionalism you want for your neck of the woods, could be invaluable for you, in terms of networking.
You dun good, James.
rthling
rthling

Number of posts : 1830
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Got my first call from someone wanting to know how i got into the business Empty Re: Got my first call from someone wanting to know how i got into the business

Post by Guest Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:12 pm

Exactly how I handle it! Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by eviedejesus Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:33 am

Until now, I assumed you were a married lesbian (not that it matters). I think you handled it well. I wouldn’t get too upset about people saying “it looks easy”. As an artist, I thought the same thing when my daughter would get painted at festivals - until I tried it!!! When they say things like that - I just say “yeah, that’s what I thought too” and sometimes follow with “it’s not like painting on paper”. For the most part, if they think it’s easy they will quickly find out it isn’t when they first try to do it.
eviedejesus
eviedejesus

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2012-06-08

http://www.fantasyfacedesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxell Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:48 am

Well...I think Im gonna have to drop the BIA then...LOL....Maxell it is.
Maxell
Maxell

Back to top Go down

Post by FacepaintingByTanya Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:39 pm

I was painting at a market just last night. A woman barged into my booth (while was painting a wee person, of course) and this is how it went down...

Blunt lady: "I just saw someone walk by with one of your paintings. Looked good."
Me: "Thank you."
Blunt lady: "So I decided I want to be your apprentice. I used to paint and do art, I was pretty good. So what do I have to do be an apprentice? When can I start?"
Me: "I'm sorry, I'm not in a position to accept an apprentice at this time."
Blunt lady: "Well, but I want to learn from you. Can you teach me?"
Me: "I don't offer classes, but if you are interested in learning about facepainting, there are a lot of great resources online, and there are several conventions which offer classes you can..."
Blunt lady: (interrupts) "So you won't teach me? I don't want to learn from the internet."
Me: "Well again, I do not offer classes or appren..."
Blunt lady: (interrupting, stomping over to my kit) "Well, what kind of paints are these, are they oil based?"
Me: "No, they are water-based pai..."
Blunt lady: (interrupting, again) "So where did you get them? What are they called?"

Ok. I just want to point out by this time I was pretty done with dealing with this lady. She had broken 2 of my 5 booth rules: she was had poor manners, and she was in my booth without my invitation. I can be forgiving of someone who is enthusiastic and curious. She was just demanding and rude. I don't like demanding and rude, and I was on the razor edge of losing my patience. So I turned to face her (because during the conversation I had been painting the kid in my chair, and talking as I worked) and here's what I told her:

"I source my paints from several suppliers, they come from Europe. I invest thousands of dollars into my setup, and have spent hundreds of hours to learn how to do what I do. I've told you that I do not take on apprentices, and I do not teach classes. You have a good day."

And then I turned back to the wee person in my chair. I think we were talking about how we both love sparkles... honestly I don't remember, because at that point I saw from the corner of my eye this lady harumph loudly, and her hand reaching out toward my kit. And I think she really would have stuck her fingers into my paints, except luckily for her, she had a shining moment of clarity, pulled her hand back and quickly left.

Now, I'd like to believe that my words and tone sank in at that point, that she got the message and that's why she stopped herself.

But far more likely, it was the fact that I had stopped painting, turned to face her, and can imagine at that point the look on my face and the defensive position my body was in changed her mind. Because had she chosen to ignore that moment of clarity, and stuck her fingers into my paints, I will honestly admit that I would have rapped her hard across the knuckles with the brush in my hand, then grabbed and twisted her hand into a wrist break hold. Wrist break holds are quite effective for stopping people twice your size, because it only takes a few pounds of pressure to snap a wrist like a twig... even the biggest person will yield with a small amount of pressure.

Now, this is not something I would normally do. But in this case, my kit was less than a foot from me, I had made it clear she was not welcome, and she was clearly pissed at my response... her body language was tense. That puts me in defense mode - I've got a kid in my chair, I don't know this lady, but from the couple minutes I interacted with her, I could tell that she was pretty dense, much larger than myself and now pissed.

The mom that watched this all unfold while I painted her daughter commented, "Wow, she was rude. You must get asked that a lot, you're pretty amazing." I replied, "I get a lot of requests to teach or apprentice, but usually those requesting have enough sense to have manners. She did not."

It was an interesting day.
FacepaintingByTanya
FacepaintingByTanya

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2013-04-17

http://www.facepaintingbytanya.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxell Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:18 pm

good one...i might have to keep a wooden spoon near my kit to smack fingers of anyone who touches my kit...i will be sure to put up a sign..."Touch my stuff and I wrap you knuckles!!!!!"

Maxell
Maxell

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainbow Brite Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:53 am

I haven't had anyone say it looks easy yet. They say 'wow, how long did it take you to learn that?' So I'm honest (and a bit sheepish) in confessing, yes facepainting is so much more amazing these days, I thought it'd be easy too. I practiced every day for six months before I began. It's not just having a design, it has to be adjusted to each face. And there's always a request for something you've never done before...

Love your response about set up and insurance. Will remember!
Rainbow Brite
Rainbow Brite

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2012-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post by a_better_man_now Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:16 pm

I think we all get the "how long did it take you to learn this...' questions, and my normal response is, i've not been actually doing it professionally for long, but I practiced for a long time before i painted for pay. How long did it take me to learn? I'm still learning, every time i paint, and with every face i paint. It's not as easy as it looks, I promise.
a_better_man_now
a_better_man_now

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2013-10-01

Back to top Go down

Post by sarahralva Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:33 am

As a full time photographer, I run into photographers that only see each other as "competition". The sharing of knowledge and wisdom is a big "Hell, no". Why? Why is it better to keep fellow artists in the dark about the way they do things? Why is it so horrible to encourage others? Because they might be better than you eventually? Because they might get more business than you? Nonsense. No two artists will ever be the same. Everyone has their own style. No one can be better than you at your craft… and if you feel like they are, then that is speaking to your feelings of inadequacy. You are only in competition with YOURSELF. Feeling your paintings aren't as good as Person XYZ? Then practice. Get as good as you want to be. Stop looking at other artists and comparing your art to theirs. Your art will never be the same as theirs. That person you gave advice to is suddenly making millions of dollars while you are scraping by? Maybe they are marketing differently, might have NOTHING to do with their talent as an artist. BUT aren't you glad you gave them friendly advice? Because now YOU can call her up and say, "WOW! I remember when you were coming to me to get started in your craft!! Now you are doing so well! By the way, I was wondering, how in the world are you booked EVERY weekend ??? I need to do what you are doing!" Give and take. Learn how to give with one hand and say thank you while taking with the other.

Having said this, honesty in how hard you have worked to get where you are and how much money everything costs, etc is not a bad thing. But are YOU doing it from a place of personal lack, or just stating facts? Personal lack = There is not enough jobs for two painters, everyone is my competitor, my skills are better/worse than Person XYZ, No one gave ME any advice I had to learn all this stuff on my own Why should I GIVE it away to this person. These 'personal lack' conversations are all made up in your head. You can come from a place of lack or a place of plenty. A place of plenty shares because it knows that there will always be a gift in return.
sarahralva
sarahralva

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2014-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down