Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hospital wanting proof

+5
Psalmbook
martha
sweethavenarts
mlittlefriends
alexandra_1992
9 posters

Go down

hospital wanting proof Empty hospital wanting proof

Post by alexandra_1992 Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:51 pm

Hi could anyone help me I need concreat evidence of the benefit of belly painting iv been painting whats an midwifes would like to proof of benefits to baby and mum x would help greatly x

alexandra_1992

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2011-05-12

Back to top Go down

hospital wanting proof Empty Re: hospital wanting proof

Post by mlittlefriends Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:07 pm

Oh no I was wondering when something like this would happen.You could give them a list of the ingredients in the paints you used and something from the manufacturer saying they are safe for the skin.
mlittlefriends
mlittlefriends

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2011-10-23

http://www.melissaslittlefriends.com

Back to top Go down

Post by alexandra_1992 Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:59 pm

Its not the paint they r bothered about its what it could do to the babies x

alexandra_1992

Back to top Go down

Post by sweethavenarts Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:17 pm

A hospital is worried about what FACE PAINT will do to a baby??!?!?
OH PLEASE DON'T GET ME STARTED.
I'm not going to rant and rave, I'm not. I'm not.

You are touching a mama's belly with love. Seriously. I'm not going to go off.
sweethavenarts
sweethavenarts

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2011-06-20

http://www.sweethavenarts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by alexandra_1992 Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:25 pm

Lol I truer to explain it relaxes mum an stimulates babies

alexandra_1992

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:11 pm

Yeah, the little beggars kick the crap outta me as I paint!! No problems there... the babies are pretty well protected in there...

Back to top Go down

Post by martha Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:07 pm

Tel them your touch is similiar to effleurage. That's a type of light massage sometimes used during labor to distract mom away from labor pains--lightly skimming fingers over tummy. I'm a nurse and that they would even think that painting a tummy is detrimental seriously bugs me!
martha
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:00 pm

It's no more harmful to the baby than the deodorant, lotions, hair products & makeups the mom's wear & use every day. Let the hospital know that while it's called "face paint" it's really professional quality cosmetic grade make-up that is safe for the skin. Show them the MSDS pages on each brand(they're available on most company pages). The amount of time it is on the skin will not in any way harm the baby. Be careful of the words massage, since many massage therapists will not work on pregnant mom's for fear of causing labor. There's no real study on the benefits to the baby, but the baby does react to the stimulation of the sponge & brush & will often wake up & kick the brush. I've had pregnant mom's say it's very relaxing to be painted & they love the outcome. It's very spiritual & the mom's love it(and love the attention they get from everyone after they're painted). The big question is does belly painting cause harm? I've never heard of a case of mom or child having any adverse effects & it's always been a positive experience. The biggest harm that I can see is the mom not taking enough breaks or keeping up on snacks & fluids while being painted. I always plan for breaks & make them mom take a lot of them.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Criss Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:32 pm

Ask them what the benefits are for an expectant mom when she is treated with kindness, love, respect and gentleness? Ask them what the benefits are, for anyone, to decrease their stress levels, relax and be the focal point of positive attention? As individuals in the health care field, they should already know the answers to these questions.

Also ask them to perhaps clarify, exactly what they're looking for, in a response.
Criss
Criss

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Fun2Play Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:45 pm

Surely it's a bonding experience between mother and baby? A creative and beautiful expression of love. I'm no scientist or medical practitioner but I fail to see how it could have any negative affect on either mother or baby.

Concrete evidence? Well, I doubt there's been any studies done on it, but perhaps you should invite them to establish their own study? Wondering if it would be physiological or psychological, or both? Hmmmm.... Know any uni students in a field that might suit? Would be a great honours project!
Fun2Play
Fun2Play

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2011-06-04

http://www.fun2play.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcatfin Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:20 am

I don't think you will get any concrete PROOF of BENEFITS of a baby bump paint, (what a stupid thing for the hospital to ask for) unless they wire a mum up to an ECG or something as you paint.

I sell them as pampering sessions which is what they are.
If you are using good quality cosmetic paints it is NO DIFFERENT to the mums wearing makeup. (And how does that benefit babies, ask them?).

As long as you keep mums comfy and don't paint to long its a happy/ relaxing experience.

CAt x
Wildcatfin
Wildcatfin

Number of posts : 502
Location : Mainly being a fairy face painter at Bewilderwood in UK
Registration date : 2008-12-16

http://www.bodypaintingbycat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by leapinglizards Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:38 pm

It seems like there are different questions being asked than being answered.

I think the original poster was asking for proof of the benefits of prenatal painting for the mother and baby.

I don't see any way to offer said proof. It will all be anecdotal. Perhaps if you can find studies "documenting" the benefits of gentle massage, you could us that.

leapinglizards

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2009-10-31

http://www.livecanvasart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Criss Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:35 pm

Good insight Smile
Criss
Criss

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2009-06-07