Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

staining the skin!

+4
FacepaintingByTanya
eva
Misha
Felicia_Ribizzle
8 posters

Go down

staining the skin! Empty staining the skin!

Post by Felicia_Ribizzle Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:58 am

Hey everyone!
I'm fairly new at body Painting.. i have had a hand full of gigs but I have a question about the paints. I have all different kinds in my kit (Tag, Wolfe, Arty cakes, Paradise, Snazaroo, and Fazmataz) I've noticed that some tend to stain the skin.. some pretty badly. Are their certain paints that dont stain the skin as much as others? Which brand is the best for not staining the skin?

One more question.. I have been using regular folding chairs while face painting but find myself leaning/hunching over to paint the kids. Sunday I painted from 6am- 8pm at events and actually pulled 2 muscles in my back from leaning and hunching over. What types of chairs do you use? I seen the director chairs being used sometimes but can't seem to find them cheaper than $150.00.. any know where I can find a cheaper director chair or some type of chair better than a folding chair?

Thanks!

Felicia_Ribizzle
Felicia_Ribizzle

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2014-06-10

Back to top Go down

staining the skin! Empty Re: staining the skin!

Post by Misha Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:08 am

I have the same problem with hurting my back. Home depot has a a folding patio chair that is at bar height for $60. If you have an IKEA around they have a folding bar stool that some people on here use (Franklin bar stool) it's only $35. I think I'm going to have to take a trip to IKEA myself this week!
Misha
Misha

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by eva Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:11 am

This is just my opinion, but I would just wait and save up for a aluminum filing director chair. They are super lightweight, and durable. I watched amazon for a couple weeks and landed my earthchair for $69 + free shipping. It has lasted like new for 3 years and holds a really high weight, like 350 or 400 lb. it has saved my back. But beware if you move to standing eat good shoes because instead of your back, your feet will hurt.
eva
eva

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2008-12-13

http://www.cincinnatifacepainters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eva Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:12 am

As for staining, certain colors in most brands stain. I advise rubbing lotion or olive oil on stained areas.
eva
eva

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2008-12-13

http://www.cincinnatifacepainters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Misha Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:07 am

I like the idea of just being able to wipe down a dirty chair. Kids are gross, lol!
Misha
Misha

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by FacepaintingByTanya Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:47 am

Aluminum directors chair by Earth Products. Amazon has them, sometimes "used" (returned and sold at discount price). Google around for Earth Products VIP directors chair and you'll find a good deal. I've used mine 3 years, rock solid, no issues. For staining: you can do a white underbase under known stainers. Also, try rubbing lotion you've had on the skin before into the design and using a warm washcloth, then follow with a good face soap. I've also found Global FX colors have much better washoff for vibrant colors than other brands like TAG, DFX. Could try those as well. Good luck! Smile
FacepaintingByTanya
FacepaintingByTanya

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2013-04-17

http://www.facepaintingbytanya.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Felicia_Ribizzle Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:35 pm

Thank you everyone, this helped me greatly! I ended up ordering the chair from Ikea. I actually have some more questions for you guys. This weekend I'm completely booked with 3 birthday parties. How do you handle payment?..do you collect the money before or after the party? Also do you have them sign some kind of agreement?
Felicia_Ribizzle
Felicia_Ribizzle

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2014-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:42 pm

I have a service agreement, which I modified from another forum member. Here's the link. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1t3zQdb0XC9lgcoSriJBNIOK86KjEafV_t6Xd-a7caMk/edit
I require a 50% reservation fee, which I usually collect via Paypal.
I accept the balance in cash ONLY, when I arrive at the party.
I try to collect before I set up, because I like to leave without waiting for payment when I'm done.
Sometimes collecting first doesn't happen, for various reasons.
I always remind the client before I come that I only take CASH for the balance.
No one ever has a problem with my practices.
rthling
rthling

Number of posts : 1830
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:44 pm

And I don't worry too much about staining the skin. I tell the parents to use a little baby oil or makeup remover on stubborn colors, like teal.
rthling
rthling

Number of posts : 1830
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:10 pm

Some colors stain, that's just the way of things, if you try to mix too many brands you are going to run into other issues with blending. Best to have removal instructions on the back of your cards. Soap and water, remove stains with moisturizer. Do not remove with wet wipes!

can also use baby oils, or makeup remover for stains.

As for the chairs, you can switch to a stand up station and have the child sit on a higher chair, or you can adjust your posture. ALWAYS work from the side of your dominant hand to avoid over reaching and pulled muscles. and be VIGILANT about that. WATCH your posture and don't lean in too closely when you don't have to.

As for payment, I usually wait until after as it's a better way to get tips on top of your rate!
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:34 pm

I sit all day - for 10 to 12 hours at my dino shows.  I can not stand up to paint because I have problem feet and legs.  

I use my own chair - a short director's chair and keep a pillow behind my back.  This has helped me immensely... and if I don't use it I will most definitely put my backouttawhack!   For the kids, I use whatever chair the dino venue offers, which is usually your basic standard fold-up metal chair.  But the trick is to turn the chair sideways and then when the kids sit down just have them swing their butt and legs to face you.  This prevents them from leaning backward away from you and you won't have to lean forward.
Miss Ronnie
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Staley Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:45 am

Great tip Miss Ronnie

Staley

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2014-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down