Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A little lost because of all the face paint brands

+2
fesspenter
MissHolland
6 posters

Go down

A little lost because of all the face paint brands Empty A little lost because of all the face paint brands

Post by MissHolland Fri May 09, 2014 4:05 am

Sorry another tread witch I started, but I am soooo lost!
There are so many brands now that I do not know what to choose.
I need a few basic colours adding to my kit. Like orange yellow and red.

I read that some brands are better for blending then other ones.
I read that Paradise is good for blending but not for linework.
DFX is good for linework but blending is harder because it dries so fast.
What about cameleon and superstar/FAB or TAG?

what brands and colours do you recommend and why?

MissHolland
MissHolland

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2013-12-09

Back to top Go down

A little lost because of all the face paint brands Empty Re: A little lost because of all the face paint brands

Post by fesspenter Fri May 09, 2014 8:28 am

Dear MissHolland:
There are so many great, and different, brands of paint because there are different kinds of painters.
Face paints are generally either wax-based, or glycerin based.

Examples are:
Wax based: Wolfe, TAG, Krolan, DFX
Glycerin based: Paradise, FAB, Superstar

I use different brands for different reasons/effects.
I would highly recommend meeting up with your local face painters for a Jam! You can try different brands and peak into your compadres kits...and share shipping costs on paint orders. If one person orders Paradise Beach Berry, and the other orders Cameleon Red, you can split the cost in half, and cut the cakes in half, so each of you gets to try two different brands/formulas of paint without risking a huge expense in paint you will never use. There are some paints I purchased and did NOT like...and then I grew to respect/love them (Hellooo Paradise Dijon). Other paints, I loved right away, used too much, and now use them more reservedly (Hellooo Kryolan Interferenz Copper). It is a deeply personal choice... there is no one true, right choice.
I know I have given you a wishy-washy answer. You probably wanted an exact answer. Other painters may be able to help with more exact guidelines.

Play in the paint.
Have fun!
Aaaannndddd...
I prefer;
Yellow: TAG, Cameleon
Orange: TAG, DFX
Red: Snazaroo Red, Paradise Beach Berry, Cameleon

Happy Painting!
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

A little lost because of all the face paint brands Empty Re: A little lost because of all the face paint brands

Post by l!zzie Fri May 09, 2014 3:02 pm

Hi there MissHolland!
I'm from the Netherlands too.
I love to use Superstar for blending and the base, because it's very soft en blends easily.
The metallics form PartyXplosion and Cameleon are very good for that too.
I love PartyXplosion and Cameleon for linework. The colours are very bright!
You're from Assen, right? That's not in my neighboorhood, so it's a long drive to jam.
Nevertheless... Always welcome if you want to try some different paints!
l!zzie
l!zzie

Number of posts : 2256
Registration date : 2011-09-28

http://www.detiskwant.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by MissHolland Fri May 09, 2014 3:33 pm

Hey there fesspenter!
Thank you for your answer! You helped me al lot.
Fortunatly I think that there are not a lot of face painters in my neighberhood :-(.

Hey Lizzie! I am indeed from Assen. To bad that you don't life around here!
Thank you For your answer!

I think I go with the superstar metallics I have two of them and like them a lot. The cameleon metallics become very soft.
I never have used partyXplosion maybey I have to give that a try.
Thanks for the invite, you never know. I just don't know where you life. And the Same to you ofcourse! If you are planning to go to Assen them your very welcome!
MissHolland
MissHolland

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ Fri May 09, 2014 3:40 pm

I am newly in love with Cameleon marshmellow pink. It is rapidly running out from my trial order. I will be shelling out more green for the pink soon.

JJJJJ

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat Fri May 09, 2014 3:57 pm

Some companies, sell tiny sizes of paints, usually labeled as refill sizes for palettes. I know Silly Farm offers refill sizes for Paradise and Kryolan and possibly others. They're a great way to try new products without committing to buying the usual 30-32g size. That was my process until I honed in what I loved about different colors and brands.
TheGildedCat
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by l!zzie Mon May 12, 2014 1:18 pm

MissHolland wrote:
Thanks for the invite, you never know. I just don't know where you life. And the Same to you ofcourse! If you are planning to go to Assen them your very welcome!

I live in a town near Venlo. So I'm in Limburg!
l!zzie
l!zzie

Number of posts : 2256
Registration date : 2011-09-28

http://www.detiskwant.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by MissHolland Mon May 12, 2014 1:44 pm

Ah ok! That is realy on the other side!

Thank you all For your answers! You all helped me a lot
MissHolland
MissHolland

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Wed May 14, 2014 5:37 pm

I started with mehron, and I switched to TAG.

Here is why.

Mehrons served me well for many years, I even made my own rainbow cakes before the online stores caught on and started selling them. I bought my first tag one strokes and LOVED them. But also the colors were WAY brighter then my mehrons EVER were. Them mehrons looked so bland by comparison, and i found myself dipping into my one strokes for certain colors. At that point I shelved my mehrons into my FX kit where more nutral colors are great for FX work, and got myself a TAG pallet. and i LOVE it.

I honestly don't know why people say they don't blend as well, because they blend fine for me. Maybe I work the paint faster, or do things differently but i didn't notice any problems with blending.

I did keep a paradise black for a while, but they do suck for line wrok when compared to the TAG. The TAG has so much more POP and the colors are more opaque, so i don't have to use as much paint like i did with the mehrons.

I have tired almost a little of everything, a color cake here and there. Tried wolfe and DFX and they are similar to TAG well enough. Aquacolor i found to be too 'creamy', and Tuplip stained, and snazaroo is way to chalky for me, and i HATE how the edges of the cakes crack so quickly. Short shelf life before they end up looking like crap. Grimmas as much the same, chalky and bland colors.

I haven't tried FAB or Cameleon or Ruby yet.

For beginners I usually recommend Snazzaroo just because of the fact that it's not expensive. You can see if this is something you want to do, or if you are cut out for it. If you are serious, then I recommend Wolfe, Tag, or DFX.
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by MissHolland Thu May 15, 2014 8:23 am

Thank you so mutch forest-fairy! I am not really interested in doing it for a job but want to invest in paints. I can not buy them all at the same time but that is no problem for me. i started out with a pallet of grimmas, bur diddn't like it to much and then I switched to superstar/fab, I like the metallics of them, but the white is not so great (for me). Now I have cameleon white and black, they get a little smushie but other than that they are great. I haven't tried wolfe or tag yet. They are harder to fnd in the Netherlands.
Snazzaroo is also a bit hard to find, I am gonna try some brands and then we see!
MissHolland
MissHolland

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down