Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HELP!! i have to face paint kids at carnival in 4 days and im not good at it!!

4 posters

Go down

HELP!! i have to face paint kids at carnival in 4 days and im not good at it!! Empty HELP!! i have to face paint kids at carnival in 4 days and im not good at it!!

Post by amber6882 Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:30 pm

I have bought several different kinds of paint and stencils. I just practiced on my sons face and it looks like another kid painted his face! I'm freaking out! Somebody help me! Any advice PLEASE

amber6882

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2013-10-14

Back to top Go down

HELP!! i have to face paint kids at carnival in 4 days and im not good at it!! Empty Re: HELP!! i have to face paint kids at carnival in 4 days and im not good at it!!

Post by pjhamel Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:10 pm

First, take a deep breath. You came to the right place.

Second, fill us in on what type of paints and stencils that you purchased, so that we can better help you.

Third, it takes a lot more than one hour of practice for face painting to look good. Don't freak out just yet, okay. Just fill us in on what you are using, and we will help you from there.
pjhamel
pjhamel

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2010-01-23

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Naples-FL/Naples-Face-Art/15236981

Back to top Go down

HELP!! i have to face paint kids at carnival in 4 days and im not good at it!! Empty Re: HELP!! i have to face paint kids at carnival in 4 days and im not good at it!!

Post by amber6882 Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:23 pm

OK it would b easier to take a picture and send u Lol....I'm getting in the shower. When I get out I will go get the big container and look at each kind. I even got the body art markers....and I was disappointed in them...and how much I paid for them

amber6882

Back to top Go down

Post by amber6882 Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:45 pm

Snazaroo.....the big package that also comes with glitter paint and glitter in two small round containers. Also I think the other kind is kid kraft. But I threw away the package so I'm not sure

amber6882

Back to top Go down

HELP!! i have to face paint kids at carnival in 4 days and im not good at it!! Empty paint brands

Post by amber6882 Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:45 pm

Snazaroo.....the big package that also comes with glitter paint and glitter in two small round containers. Also I think the other kind is kid kraft. But I threw away the package so I'm not sure

amber6882

Back to top Go down

Post by amber6882 Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:48 pm

The paint seems dry or something. Its not smooth. And its hard to get on the brush. I thought I'd b good at this because I love to paint! And I'm good at it! I do a lot of primitive crafts that I paint and even some canvas painting....

amber6882

Back to top Go down

Post by princesspolkadottie Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:12 pm

Since you are not a professional, you could buy the grease crayons that you see at the costume shops. And, offer simple cheek designs (rainbow, pumpkin, spider, heart, balloons, cross bones etc.). You can frame each design with different colored swirls etc. Since it is not professional face paint, I would not use it on the mouth or eyes or combine it with any professional face paint as this could cause a bad reaction. Since you're doing a huge carnival, this will make it easier for you and you'll be able to do a cheek in a minute. You can do flowers, sports teams logos etc. Have a little board, draw your cheek designs on the board. It doesn't have to be fancy...they're not paying you and everyone will be happy that they weren't standing in line forever. If you really want to use the paint you bought, make sure that you have good quality brushes. When I started out, I would use the brushes they gave you in a kit and they're awful. Go to your local craft store (Michaels or Blicks etc.) and buy Lowel Cornell Rounds (get 2, 4, 6 for outline work). If you go to your local Barnes and Noble or bookstore you can buy the Klutz book with a quality paint kit and designs...just don't use their brush or it will look like a kid did it. For more elaborate designs yet easy designs, you could buy a rainbow cake...watch Lisa Joy Young who is really good at explaining how to use the tools and what to buy. Hope that helps, you need to choose whatever is easiest for you so you are comfortable and have a good time. You'll get to more kids and your designs will look better when you're comforable. OH AND do NOT USE TULIP MARKERS!!! If you read the back...they are supposed to last for FOUR-SIX WEEKS and are made for the body/ semi permanent!!!!!!! Your parents do NOT want that. Hope that helps. Smile
princesspolkadottie
princesspolkadottie

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by princesspolkadottie Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:21 pm

PS If you are usually good at painting and you are familiar with one strokes, you could buy some quality 3/4 brushes and use what you know with those. You will however need to load your brushes with half and half of your paint. I haven't had Snazaroo but I've heard that it can melt easy and isn't good for line work. Again, you must use quality brushes (see above). I'm sure tons of artists here know lots about Snaz...and you could still run out to your bookstore and buy the Klutz book with the Wolfe brothers kit inside of it. Just remember to get the good brushes (Lowel Cornells 2, 4, 6 rounds) and do not ever combine with grease paint.
princesspolkadottie
princesspolkadottie

Back to top Go down

Post by amber6882 Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:23 pm

OK what's the best face paint in your opinion

amber6882

Back to top Go down

Post by amber6882 Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:23 pm

And if I were charging how much is the normal price to paint a kids face? Just curious

amber6882

Back to top Go down

Post by amber6882 Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:24 pm

And if I were charging how much is the normal price to paint a kids face? Just curious

amber6882

Back to top Go down

Post by princesspolkadottie Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:48 pm

Professionals can charge anywhere from $5-$15 but if you look at the galleries on this blog, you will see why. They've been at this for a long time and they're insured, have paid big bucks for their business and they're incredible. If you're just doing a fundraiser with simple cheek art, I wouldn't charge more than $1-$2, another option is people might pay with tickets that they buy at the carnival. About the paint, try spraying your brush to moisten the paint. I know people who do not like spraying their paints with water for good reason. Have a good spray bottle that you can set to mist. Moisten your brush to activate the paint. If it gets too moist, simply brush the excess off on a paper towel. You should also bring a roll of paper towels, wipes, a black cloth (to dry your brushes as you go) and hand sanitizer.
princesspolkadottie
princesspolkadottie

Back to top Go down

Post by pjhamel Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:06 pm

Snazaroo is a great paint for beginners, and like most professional face paints, it is water activated. I am assuming that since you said that it is dry, you have not added water to it.

If you love to paint, then I'm assuming you are familiar with watercolors. Think of these as watercolors, but for your face. Add a few drops of water to the paint, and work it into the paint. There are some decent examples of how to do this to get the right consistency on the snazaroo site, as well as youtube. A few seconds of googling should pull them up.

Once you have the right consistency, it is really easy to paint with snazaroo. Take an hour or so to work on your brush strokes (look up a video or two on youtube...seriously, there are so many available to help you learn).

As you are not a licensed professional, and you lack insurance, I would not suggest using anything but safe and professional paints, like snazaroo, on other people's children. With all of the allergies out there these days, doing so could be a mistake.

If I were in your position, I would get one or two more snazaroo kits(use coupons if you are getting them at a craft store), and a few packs of decent, but cheap brushes with nylon or taklon bristles(you definitely want some round brushes in multiple sizes). Practice your brush strokes tomorrow, then look up some cheek art designs and master 6-8 of them. Simple things, like hearts, butterflies, dragonflies, ladybugs, snakes, lizards, spiders . . . those kinds of things. Small, simple, and easy to paint. If you can get some of those down between now and your carnival, then just offer them, and you are good to go.

As far as charging goes, unless you are raising money for a charity or non-profit, I would say do not charge. A tip jar, though, would be okay to recoup some of your expenses.
pjhamel
pjhamel

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2010-01-23

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Naples-FL/Naples-Face-Art/15236981

Back to top Go down

Post by princesspolkadottie Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:35 pm

I agree with pjhamel, only reason I came up with a $ amount was that I was thinking this was all for charity. Also, sometimes you can deduct a percentage of your expenses if you donated them....you have to check with an accountant on that one.
princesspolkadottie
princesspolkadottie

Back to top Go down

Post by amber6882 Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:39 pm

Thanks to all of you!! You all have given me so much info! So much I wouldn't have known without you all! I'm truly grateful!!! :-)

amber6882

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:02 am

I personally have that snaz kit. You can paint at leAst 70 full faces with it!and even more if you just do masks or eye designs.

I wouldn't buy more paint.that's a good kit.

And that kit, you end up costing about 3 cents a face. So even if you charge a dollar, 30 faces and the kit pays for itself.

I do recommend you get a leow Cornell 7000 round. In size 4 and 6 just to start.
I'd also recommend you purchase a car sponge and slice them into semi circles and wedges so you can lay down a good base.

Thin I of it like a reverse coloring book-paint the colors first, then draw the lines on top to define the picture.
nikkili26
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down