Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New gun case

+14
novice tammy
nikkili26
Lady Jayde
erica21
thouartbeautiful
Raven Wylder
MeeMee
anniel
pjhamel
Michael Magick
barbb919
acarreon
ediesbeads
Coral3
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New gun case Empty New gun case

Post by Coral3 Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:03 am

Okay so the last gig I did I was plagued by kids trying to touch my kit, which was bad enough, but then one little girl proceeded to eat her cupcake whilst leaning all over my paint! - dropping crumbs everywhere!! Determined that something had to change, because I'm not putting up with germy little blighters contaminating my beautiful paints any more, I went out and bought a new paint case. I had been using plastic document cases to hold them up till now.

The hope is that the open lid will separate curious fingers and crumbling cupcakes from my beloved paints. I would have preferred black, but couldn't find it - no matter though, I plan to mount a sign on the outside of the open lid anyway, so it's not really going to be an issue. I'm going to store brushes on the inside of the lid somehow - yet to figure that out but have a few ideas. Anyway, here it is:

New gun case IMG_8183800x293_zpsdbd6bc0b

New gun case IMG_8181800x482_zps11228bf3
Coral3
Coral3

Number of posts : 570
Registration date : 2012-01-01

Back to top Go down

New gun case Empty Re: New gun case

Post by ediesbeads Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:39 am

For storing your brushes, you can look at foam... pool noodles, pipe insulation, etc. attach the foam to the lid somehow (glue suggestions anyone?) and cut slits in the foam to hold the brushes. I'm thinking of doing something like this in the top of my laptop case to see if it works.
ediesbeads
ediesbeads

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2013-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:52 am

I am thinking about foam perhaps. I did try pool noodles once to make a home-made version of the 'Art Bin brush box' but it was way too firm, so something softer might be better. Otherwise I could velcro in some bought brush wallet style holders, but anything with a lot of fabric/canvas is going to need washing. Elastic along a firm surface would work too I guess.
Coral3
Coral3

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:56 am

I'm sure many people would think that's way to many colour options for one kit. I do envy FPers who are able to ruthlessly organise their kits into the bare essentials so they're not carting a whole heap of paint around everywhere. That's not me unfortunately - even colours I only use occasionally I can't bring myself to leave at home :/
Coral3
Coral3

Back to top Go down

Post by acarreon Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:09 pm

I'm also stuck on how to hold my brushes in my case..I everything else on the bottom and ive kept the sponges stuck on to hold everything in place since nothing is anchor down yet.. Love to see what you come up with.
acarreon
acarreon

Number of posts : 453
Registration date : 2012-04-14

http://lexisskinvas.wix.com/skinvas

Back to top Go down

Post by barbb919 Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:24 pm

i attached hooks on mine and used small clips and put my brush easel on mine then i can take it off when imn done fold the brush easel fold the case and go..
barbb919
barbb919

Number of posts : 2109
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://tappysfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:37 am

I'm hoping to have the brushes secured well enough that I can transport them in there...so no setting up & packing up lots of brushes.
Coral3
Coral3

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Magick Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:52 am

from what im seeing the back of the case has some kind of fabric on it. if this is indeed the case then simply stitch some elastic across the back leaving un stitched sections just big enough to slide a brush in. if that makes any sense. the other option is to attach a brush easel with some hinges so that it goes from flat packed to stand up set.
Michael Magick
Michael Magick

Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2013-02-24

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyond-Belief-Magic/1166254450630

Back to top Go down

Post by pjhamel Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:05 am

I second the idea of using elastic. What I would do is lay two strips of elastic together horizontally, then sew a vertical line across both pieces every 1/2 inch or so(bigger for your bigger brushes). You can then hot glue the back of this strip to the inside of the top of your case to secure it. Use a thicker elastic, like 1 1/2 inch width, to ensure that the brushes stay in place when in transit.
pjhamel
pjhamel

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2010-01-23

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Naples-FL/Naples-Face-Art/15236981

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:43 am

Keep the receipt & inner foam for exchange for if it begins to come apart.
(I am hard on my equipment). I keep moving up the quality line until I coud finally afford a Pelican with wheels which has a lifeltime guarantee--cause I can tell you're addicted for the long haul...
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:45 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I have lined out the lid with a piece of faux-leather upholstery type material, which is easily cleaned with just a wipe over if needed. To this I have sewn elastic to hold my brushes. Also at one end I have some larger elastic loops to hold glitter puffers, a small bottle of hand sanitiser, gem adhesive etc. Love having all my brushes instantly laid out & in their place so I can grab what I want quickly.

I've had a banner printed and have trimmed and attached it to the outside of the lid, so I have instant signage when my case is open. Really happy with it...it's plain black with just 'Face Painting' in big, bold lettering (easily readable from across a large room) and my name underneath. I've kept it quite plain & uncluttered.

So far so good.
Coral3
Coral3

Back to top Go down

Post by pjhamel Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:08 pm

Sounds awesome! Can't wait to see pictures.
pjhamel
pjhamel

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:29 am

Updated pics  Smile 

The camera flash makes the 'face painting' text on my sign look yellow, it's actually lime green IRL.  

New gun case IMG_8323CopyCopy_zps9df5b2fd

New gun case IMG_8327CopyCopy_zpsfbb7da2d

New gun case IMG_8325CopyCopy_zpsaed11432

^ the space in the top left corner there is for BAMS and perhaps gems, am still hunting for the right container/s for those though. My brushes take up too much space otherwise I might've had room to velcro them in individually.
Coral3
Coral3

Back to top Go down

Post by pjhamel Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:15 am

Razz Drooling.

It looks amazing!
pjhamel
pjhamel

Back to top Go down

Post by MeeMee Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:37 am

Wow! That is so pretty.
MeeMee
MeeMee

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.specialtimesentertainment.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Raven Wylder Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:32 am

That looks fabulous! But I'm not understanding how/what you did so you could put your brushes that way?

Raven Wylder

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2013-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:57 pm

Thanks everyone Very Happy 

Raven, I got a piece of black faux leather to line out the lid. Before attaching it in there I sewed a long strip of elastic to it (sewing a line through it every 2cm or so) making loops/pockets to slide brushes through. Works well & holds brushes in place perfectly while the case is being transported.
Coral3
Coral3

Back to top Go down

Post by thouartbeautiful Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:58 pm

Curious, how do most people keep their paints from moving around in their cases. I just bought a case for $20 and was hoping to make it work but it doesn't have any foam in it and I'm getting frustrated with the foam I found at goodwill. Any suggestions?
thouartbeautiful
thouartbeautiful

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2013-09-21

http://www.thouartbeautiful.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:51 pm

Have you tried adhesive velcro Andrea? Long lines/strips inside the case and dots underneath paint.
Coral3
Coral3

Back to top Go down

Post by thouartbeautiful Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:52 am

Haven't tried much yet but I've been doing so much trial and fail I thought I'd ask first before ruining anything more. I've heard if people cutting holes for the paint but all my paint are of different shapes/sizes and I think it would be difficult to take the paint out to use easily, not to mention the foam not being thick enough.
thouartbeautiful
thouartbeautiful

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2013-09-21

http://www.thouartbeautiful.com

Back to top Go down

Post by erica21 Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:35 am

What a gorgeous set up! Really fab! How's it working out on the job?
erica21
erica21

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2011-11-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:31 am

^ Working great, Erica. I'm loving having my brushes like that particularly - so easy to keep them all in their places so I can grab what I need fast. Finding my space stays tidier while I'm painting, which is great. Enjoying the almost 'zen calm' that comes with an de-cluttered workspace.
Coral3
Coral3

Back to top Go down

Post by erica21 Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:10 am

It looks like it would work well. Do you just put your water beside the case on the table when painting? Do you need to carry an extra bag with water and stuff or does it all fit inside?
erica21
erica21

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:31 am

I do carry an extra bag with my water containers, towels, apron, sponges etc...I'd never fit all that inside the gun case, even if I put a false bottom in it. When I'm working I have my water in front of the case on the table. I know I probably cart too much stuff...I'm just not ruthless enough to have a compact kit!
Coral3
Coral3

Back to top Go down

Post by erica21 Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:48 pm

I can understand not wanting to be ruthless - For sure when you leave those 'extra' things at home - you want/need them! Rolling Eyes 
erica21
erica21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next