Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My New Gun Case Kit :D

+24
PaintFreak
RickyMUA
jlirie
tashasbowtique
siouXzQ
anniel
barbb919
True Colors
rubyzcreationz
nikkili26
Katurah
boatload32359
rthling
Party Picassos
Valerie A
MissHolland
thouartbeautiful
PixiePaintrix
pattyofurniture
milliedoodles
gypsy6974
eviedejesus
SewDarnHot
FacepaintingByTanya
28 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

My New Gun Case Kit :D Empty My New Gun Case Kit :D

Post by FacepaintingByTanya Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:24 pm

OK, so after many moons of lugging an ever-increasing number of things from place to place in search of facepainting zen and profitability, I hit a wall in December. I am a 5'0, 95lb female, who was lugging two large and very full trolleys of tables, chairs, banners, paint cases, brushes, waters, glues, stools, signs... through a mall. By myself. For four weeks. In December.

Shocked 

I vowed I would never again lug two full carts of crap around. And thus my New Year resolution was born: a streamlined kit/setup.

I started by hitting the Forum, scouring any post with the work "kit" or "Case" in it, and case across several artistinistas with awesome cases. I decided a gun case would fit my needs nicely, and ordered myself up one from good ol' eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161083367432?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

While I was at it, I decided to invest in a better table setup, because it shouldn't take me FOUR tables to find my OCD happy place... after much searching, I decided on a minimalistic camp kitchen-esque table that easily folds into a flat carry bag, courtesy of Amazon (I scored at a deal, because I took the gamble and bought one through them used, which was a steal (one minor scratch on frame = $20 off).

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-57293-Deluxe-Grilling-Table/dp/B00192JGDU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390443497&sr=8-1&keywords=camco+deluxe+grill+table

After these babies arrived, I set up the table to make sure I liked it (oh baby, do I) and opened up the case... and hit a wall. How the heck was I going to get all of my junk in this trunk?  scratch 

Read through many brilliant posts about customizing gun cases, ones with interior frames and metal compartment doors with magnets on the paints, others with foam cutouts, others still with Velcro'd paint pots. After lots more  scratch ing, I got down to business.

Step-by-step:

1 - I removed the eggcrate foam from the inner case lid.

2 - I flipped the two foam sheets in the case base (eggcrate on bottom, flat on top).

3 - I laid out all of my paints, in OCD/dream layout order.

4 - I traced the outline of all containers with a pen.

5 - I cut out each container space just inside of the lines I traced with a sharp razor knife.

My New Gun Case Kit :D Kit-cu10

6 - I popped my paints into the holes I cut.

7 - I spent a ridiculous amount of time re-organizing them until I finally was satisfied with the layout.

My New Gun Case Kit :D Paints10

8 - I cut through both layers of foam to the right of my paints to create a storage space.

9 - I made cutaways in the top foam layer, lower right, for my glues, sushi rolls, dry erase signage pens and Leatherman (can't leave home without it!)

10 - I took the bottom eggcrate layer, hacked off the bumpy tips, and glued a piece of black thin cardboard to the bottom side.

11 - I laid out my glitter containers, cut out their shapes and inserted them into this layer (instant removable glitter tray, heck yeah!)

12 - I sourced a simple pencil box and put my sponges, hair clips, pens, gems, Q-Tips and hand sanitizer (Gold Bond makes a non-alcohol one that doesn't dry out your hands, good stuff!) I mounted the items in the lid of the pencil case with Velcro.

My New Gun Case Kit :D Glitte10

13 - I back-cut the top overlayer - I cut off half the depth on the upper half of that foam layer to allow for the pencil case, so that when the glitter is put away in the bottom with the pencil case, the top foam layer can lay back on top and lay flat (pencil case is taller than glitter layer).

14 - I simply set my mirror on top of the right section of the case.

15 - I precut some black non-slip grip liner... dual purpose: keeps paints clean and protected in transport, and once set up, I can use it on the top table I set my kit on to keep it from sliding on the slat tabletop.

My New Gun Case Kit :D Bottom10

Whew!! OK, so at this point I had all my paints, glitters and misc supplies in the case... but what about everything else? Nowhere left to customize but the lid, which I spent several days pondering until I decided on this:

1 - I removed the entire bottom layer and set out of the way, then scraped the excess foam and goo left over from the foam removal from inner lid; also sanded off the nasty leftover adhesive (wear a mask, peeps!)

2 - Vacuumed out the mess.

3 - I used brown paper bags and painters tape and taped off the entire inner case, except the inner lid area.

4 - I tiptoed in ninja stealth mode into hubby's garage and stole his rattle can of flat black spray paint...

4a - Had I been confronted by redheaded hubby over said rattle can of flat paint, I vowed to blame my teenagers, or one of the dogs.  Twisted Evil 

5 - I spray painted the inner lid flat black. 2 coats (be patient, gwasshoppahs, let those coats dry in between coats, outside in the sun!)

6 - While that was drying, I stealth-moded back into garage and swiped hubby's industrial-strength, dual-back Velcro from his workshop. The good stuff. The stuff that will hold up an elephant on a pencil tip. He's an engineer, so he gets like the best stuff from work ever for these kinds of projects!!

7 - I picked up a battery-powered (x6 AA), 10-LED flat light bar from my local Ace Hardware for $16. I Velcro'd it into the case with one long strip and two small side strips.

My New Gun Case Kit :D Brushe10

Note: this light tilts out 180 degrees so you can shine light straight down on the paints when flat-mounted to the inside of the lid. My hubby was going to string some custom LEDs, but tht would have meant the added weight of a decent size 12V battery pack... and I think my sticky-finger incident with the paint and Velcro made him realize I was crafty enough to figure my own case out at that point.  Rolling Eyes 

8 - More Velcro to adhere my pre-blinged business card holder and mini wisk broom into the case lid. I looped an elastic around the cards and the back of the card holder so they stay put on transport.

At this point I was feeling pretty impressed with myself. That is, until I got to thinking how I'd be fitting my brushes into the case. I'd carried my ridiculous brush collection in a custom-made brush roll about 2-3 feet long, but I was hellbent on not carrying any more stuff around that the base items: kit, chair, table, a-frame sign, water, banners. That's IT. No more stuff!!

I thought about mounting the open brush roll inside the lid, but it's fabric... brushes in/out would make it ugly fast (it's cute red/white/black art kitties, no soiling the kitties!)  No I also thought about stringing some fabric-covered elastic bands across the lid and mounting them in with some stainless hardware swiped from hubby's workshop, but then brush drips and slop would be all over the case. No thanks.

So, yet another project within the project: new brush holder system

1 - I sourced my brush holder from a bag I picked up on vacation in Montana. It's some kind of woven plastic, like a tarp material with a cute design and protective varnish clearcoat on it. Wipe off-able, pretty strong, sewable. Yeeeeees.

2 - I chopped of the handles, the sides and the inner pocket (which I saved and slapped Velcro on, and mounted on the lower right of the lid to hold water misting bottle, iso alcohol spray bottle and some brush bath).

My New Gun Case Kit :D Top-li10

3 - I cut and chopped and sewed my little heart out, adding some sectioned elastic inside the pockets to make the brushes stand up straight in sections (and allow for the front of the pockets to be used for separating dirty brushes from clean ones, no more "wash-them-all-because-I-can't-remember-which-ones-are-used" business).

My New Gun Case Kit :D Brushe11

4 - More Velcro to secure the brush holder (top/bottom/sides) means it is removable, therefore washable... OCD tendencies satisfied.  Wink 

And there you have it. Customized gun case! No added weight from built-in structures, magnets or frames. Plenty of room for every paint pot I own (and a whole underlayer in case I go on another Forum shopping frenzy).

My New Gun Case Kit :D Full-k10

My New Gun Case Kit :D Final-10

Kit reduced down to a handful of essential items to carry, all of which fit easily in my Miata. No more visions of lugging two teetering carts piled high with stuff . I have a four-day Fair coming up in February, which is insanely busy for me, so that will be the test-gig to see if this kit's up to snuff. So excited!!!  bounce
FacepaintingByTanya
FacepaintingByTanya

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2013-04-17

http://www.facepaintingbytanya.com

Back to top Go down

My New Gun Case Kit :D Empty Re: My New Gun Case Kit :D

Post by SewDarnHot Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:19 am

Yay!!  cheers Wonderful job!! looks great! I am so happy for you! I cannot wait to get my case! Thanks for all the great ideas & taking the time to explain everything!
SewDarnHot
SewDarnHot

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2012-10-29

http://www.ArizonaFacePainter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eviedejesus Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:42 am

Holy shiznit Batman! - That is a bad-arse case and set up! Very Impressive! You could order a large vehicle magnet with your business info and just stick it to the outside of the case for instant advertising that you can remove easily if you need to. I have to say that the guitar cases I’ve seen look too big for my needs but this one looks just right! KUDOS!!! BRAVA!!! So Jelly! cheers 
eviedejesus
eviedejesus

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2012-06-08

http://www.fantasyfacedesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eviedejesus Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:51 am

just watched the video for the table - amazing! looks sturdier than my Go-Bar.
eviedejesus
eviedejesus

Back to top Go down

Post by gypsy6974 Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:47 am

I have been starring at that gun case for 7 days and I just did the lid this morning. Dang! I could have sanded that glue off but I was so distracted by what I could do with the bottom of case I was not thinking clearly. My brother has all the tools in all their proper places, I could have walked out there and used his sander.  He has OCD too, specially with his tools and so clean. No grease no dirt or scum period on any of them...
Your case is fantastic and I like it so much, no I love it. Now I am really excited but that means I have to use that sewing machine. Jeez! I thought maybe you painted that brush holder but now I see you bought it. It is really fantastic. I have lost my imagination somewhere along the way. I use to be creative and necessity is the mother of invention. I wanted a double layer bottom and now I know how to do it without added weight. Thank you so much for this detailed explanation. I love the light also. Now tomorrow I will be off to Ace Hardware for that light  and only God knows where for the Velcro. I looked at Hancock's, Jo Ann's & Michael's last night and I did not like their Velcro.
Now, maybe I can get a solid night of sleep. Like you I have read and re-read so many threads in so many places and I was on the hunt for answers to my dilemma. So glad you solved it. I will let you know how it comes out. I just pray it turns out half as good as yours.
One more thing. Where did you get all the big square pots? I really don't feel like re-potting again but I may have to now.

Last edited by gypsy6974 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
gypsy6974
gypsy6974

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2013-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post by milliedoodles Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:50 am

GREAT looking case. Thanks for sharing.
milliedoodles
milliedoodles

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2013-10-21

http://www.milliedoodles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pattyofurniture Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:03 am

Beautiful!
pattyofurniture
pattyofurniture

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2013-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by PixiePaintrix Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:08 am

Wow! Great case!
PixiePaintrix
PixiePaintrix

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2014-01-13

http://www.pixiedustpirates.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eviedejesus Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:47 am

those are TAG pots.
eviedejesus
eviedejesus

Back to top Go down

Post by FacepaintingByTanya Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:58 am

The big ones are TAG pots, the little ones are various 1-strokes, the rounds are DFX. I made the little sushi rolls with some black chapstick tubes I bought... another messy project. The brush holder was a printed eco bag - I liked the design and figured I'd likely chop it up into something cooler down the road when I bought it.

I'll ask hubby where he sources that Velcro, because it is not something you'll find in a hobby/craft store, it's an industrial-grade Velcro he sources through a supplier at work. Will post if I get the source, because it's definitely a much better alternative to drilling through the thin top lid to mount things (and it makes things removable for cleaning). I've used it to create a giant run-thru banner for the cheer program I coach - I've had basketball teams literally stuck trying to break through the banner when it's pressed into place the full height of the seam, it's that strong of a hold!
FacepaintingByTanya
FacepaintingByTanya

Back to top Go down

Post by thouartbeautiful Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:56 pm

Your case is so beautiful! Impressive, I may need to eventually rethink my case configuration Smile
thouartbeautiful
thouartbeautiful

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2013-09-21

http://www.thouartbeautiful.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MissHolland Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:02 pm

Wauw!! I want your case, and all your paints  Laughing 
I love it, it looks so neat and clean. Just the way I like it!!

O and I have to ask, are all your Rainbow en splitt cakes new or do you make them yourself?
MissHolland
MissHolland

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2013-12-09

Back to top Go down

Post by FacepaintingByTanya Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:06 pm

The majority of them are purchased, but several I made as well. I've found I have staple mixes I tend to work with more than some of the more specialized/unique combos. I work from one-strokes and rainbows mainly, with black/white for detail work, so I don't need many solid color cakes. Now that I'm pretty comfy chopping up cakes, I'll likely be ordering big ones and creating splits from those to cut cost... I spent a lot of time slowly building up to what I have right now, and I'm pretty stocked up at this point, but I have a big event next month that will knock me out on my go-tos and I'll "have to" order more paints...  Twisted Evil 
FacepaintingByTanya
FacepaintingByTanya

Back to top Go down

Post by gypsy6974 Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:13 pm

FacepaintingByTanya wrote:The majority of them are purchased, but several I made as well. I've found I have staple mixes I tend to work with more than some of the more specialized/unique combos. I work from one-strokes and rainbows mainly, with black/white for detail work, so I don't need many solid color cakes. Now that I'm pretty comfy chopping up cakes, I'll likely be ordering big ones and creating splits from those to cut cost... I spent a lot of time slowly building up to what I have right now, and I'm pretty stocked up at this point, but I have a big event next month that will knock me out on my go-tos and I'll "have to" order more paints...  Twisted Evil 

After I posted that question I thought that must be Tag. I use a lot of Tag but not those, only the 32 gr rounds. I don't like their big splits and the others. So I make my own split cakes and rainbow cakes. I bought many rainbow cakes from sillyfarm but I am not in love with many of them either so back to taking them apart and making my own. I don't like rainbow cakes in round containers and there is always that one color in the cake that I just detest. Then there is the nice Paradise Prisma cakes but I am not a fan of those either but love the square boxes. Well I guess I will stick with my plastic container for my one-strokes because it can hold so many without taking much space.
Thank you once again for all the fabulous info and detailing all your work on your beautiful gun case.
gypsy6974
gypsy6974

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerie A Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:00 am

affraid  I'm wishing I could UNSEE this  because now I WANT it!        lol! 

WOW, Tanya! Just. Wow. You are an amazingly creative person. Maybe you should just give up face painting and set up a business selling these  Wink  I love, love things to be organized and this is amazing AND beautiful.
What size needle did you use to sew the plastic bag? Did it gum up your machine at all?
Will be waiting to hear how it works out for you at the Feb gig.

oh, been meaning to tell you how beautifully done your avatar is!
Valerie A
Valerie A

Number of posts : 1035
Registration date : 2012-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by FacepaintingByTanya Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:42 am

Wow, thank you!! There's so many creative people on here, it's a pretty humbling place to browse. I went through 4 needles, various sizes, snapping like toothpicks to get through the layers in the seams. Cussed like a sailor the whole time. Looking back, I'd definitely gone out and gotten some heavy duty ones, but I had what I had and the nearest place with needles is 45-60m away. Didn't gum up the machine, just snapped needles.
FacepaintingByTanya
FacepaintingByTanya

Back to top Go down

Post by gypsy6974 Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:28 am

I cannot figure out my mother sewing machine it's complicated. So I put it up and started again with my brother's sewing machine. I am trying to make a brush case to attach to the lid of my case. I have been at it since 6:05 this AM. I am about ready to scream... Taking a break and re-reading your post. I can sew but it's been a long time, many moons ago. Thank God for Youtube and online manuals. Could not find one for my mother's machine. Jeez!!! Wish me luck.
gypsy6974
gypsy6974

Back to top Go down

Post by FacepaintingByTanya Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:32 am

My last sewing machine died a painful mechanical death ... I opted for a cheap substitute and have come close many times to throwing it out my 2nd story window, just for the small sense of satisfaction of seeing it slam to the ground in a 1000 pieces. When I hit a wall on the sewing machine (furthermore knows as the POS), I walk away cussing, grab some coffee, and find something to demolish... usually cutting down bushes and trees in the yard does the trick (we moved into a house with two jungle yards recently, lots of stuff to rip out). Good luck!
FacepaintingByTanya
FacepaintingByTanya

Back to top Go down

Post by gypsy6974 Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:37 pm

Sounds like fun. I use to be in the country and that is where I found my peace. I would chop fire wood or start cutting another tree down to release frustration. But now I am in the city with a yard and it's a small one.
I think that is what I am going to do with mama's machine, it was a great machine once. I think it's time is finished and needs to be thrown out too. It's just sitting here taking up space and ticking me off. So why look at it anymore...
gypsy6974
gypsy6974

Back to top Go down

Post by Party Picassos Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:21 pm

I may be creative, but I am not the most organized. Good for you. BEAUTIFUL.
Party Picassos
Party Picassos

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2010-11-18

http://www.partypicassos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:11 pm

That's it. I'm saving this thread until I get my case in May and then printing it out to follow as an instruction manual.

Thanks for sharing your journey with us!
rthling
rthling

Number of posts : 1830
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FacepaintingByTanya Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:14 pm

Absolutely! Added a collapsible water container velcro'd to the inside of the lid on the upper right side. Am trying to have hubby reveal source of his super-Velcro, because it's pretty amazing stuff. Will post if he tracks it down.
FacepaintingByTanya
FacepaintingByTanya

Back to top Go down

Post by gypsy6974 Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:39 pm

Tanya, I have been working on the top of case since 6:05 AM. I have taken many breaks to re-think this and look back on your details of your kit. I copied and pasted it in Microsoft Word but it's much bigger to look at on line. I am on my last break for tonight. I am making a list of what I want on top and what must go on bottom. I also totally forgot about my Starblends until I saw a smothie blender an hour ago. I don't think it's all going to fit? Just seems impossible. I made a pouch for my poofer glitter & liquid bling, cheers  I also sewed the edges of my lining for the bottom. I am doing well with the machine now. It's like riding a bicycle, you actually don't forget how. My last thing to do tonight will be to cutout my brush case. I have looked this house over from top to bottom for something reusable for the back of my brush case. Nothing found, but then I looked at a Get Bling sign that was made and I just detest it. I think it will be the new back for the brush case, it's stiff and sewable. I also found a few feet of industrial strength Velcro in my brothers office.  cheers 
I guess if he knew where to get that he will know where to get more.
To my point... If it's taking me this long to do the top and figure out what goes there, where and how, I just may be doing this until late Feb. silent 
gypsy6974
gypsy6974

Back to top Go down

Post by FacepaintingByTanya Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:48 pm

You'll get there. I was frustrated at several points trying to get everything to fit, and had to walk away and think about it a day or two and then come back to it. Old banners for brush holder? Awesome (and green) idea!! Just stay away from the sealed seams, they are full of adhesive and will gum up your machine. My advice: lay out everything you want to fit in the case - tape off an area on the floor for the top and bottom, and try different configs until you get things how you want them, then commit to cutting foam and gluing things down. The whole "measure twice, cut once" mantra Smile can't wait to see what you come up with!
FacepaintingByTanya
FacepaintingByTanya

Back to top Go down

Post by gypsy6974 Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:40 am

FacepaintingByTanya wrote:You'll get there. I was frustrated at several points trying to get everything to fit, and had to walk away and think about it a day or two and then come back to it. Old banners for brush holder? Awesome (and green) idea!! Just stay away from the sealed seams, they are full of adhesive and will gum up your machine. My advice: lay out everything you want to fit in the case - tape off an area on the floor for the top and bottom, and try different configs until you get things how you want them, then commit to cutting foam and gluing things down. The whole "measure twice, cut once" mantra :)can't wait to see what you come up with!

Thank you so much for that tip. I would have not done that and it's a great idea. I would have fiddled with all of that on the foam on the table and on and on. I am so frustrated right now. I do measure at least twice sometimes more. Also, I was already stressing about cutting the foam wrong days ago. I am sure that's why I started with the lid and waited for you. I figured how much could I ruin by putting on a piece of faux leather? I was wrong because I should have sanded the glue spots. Oh well but I don't think anyone will notice that once everything else is put on the lid.
That brush case is trickier than it looked. I can't fight with it anymore tonight. I did cut the end off of the banner first then measured. My fingers hurt from pulling and tugging but so far so good. I will be so happy when it is done but, done properly. I was obsessed last year with making the tent setup better. Now it's all about what I can cut down on that needs not be.
I hope you have a great weekend. Once again thank you for all the detailed instructions and the tips. They are greatly appreciated...
gypsy6974
gypsy6974

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next