Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Free Face paint at an elementary school event

+10
Jody Rife
rthling
Lady Jayde
Shawna D.
funfacesbybrenda
a face painting mom
Coral3
Mehndi Masala
Luvs to paint
SewDarnHot
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Free  Face paint at an elementary school event - Page 2 Empty Re: Free Face paint at an elementary school event

Post by Lady Jayde Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:01 am

Two words: word board

That frees you up to paint to the line. Tons of kids? That butterfly becomes really really simple. Just a sprinkle of crumb snatchers? Jazz that butterfly up a bit.

Also, the word board will give you the freedom to choose the colors you want (I don't give many color choice options during high tempo events) and you can make up for having to paint simple quick designs by painting simple quick designs that match what each child is wearing (if you have a tackle tart kit like some painters 😎
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Free  Face paint at an elementary school event - Page 2 Empty Re: Free Face paint at an elementary school event

Post by Coral3 Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:14 am

^ agree with the word board...even at events when you have loads of time it prevents the "but the picture has three stars, I only got two..." or "the picture has blue spots, not green" whining from some kids.

Also, not sure if anyone has already mentioned the mirror or not(?) but having a mirror on a stand AWAY from the chair saves a LOT of time when you have to paint a huge group.  That way they get out of the chair faster because they want to see themselves, and you're not wasting time holding a mirror up for each one.
Coral3
Coral3

Number of posts : 570
Registration date : 2012-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:55 pm

I did a high speed event once. I had three designs (word menus) for boys, and three for girls. They could choose whatever they wanted, just kept it simple this way. I had them line up according to design, then did three or four of each design at a time.
I stood and had the children stand facing me. No time to sit, no time to choose, no time to look in a mirror.
My line manager held the mirror.
Each design was less than 60 seconds, and the girls all got a poof of glitter.
I did just over 100 kids in two hours.
It was a blur.
But they were all very happy.
And the quality of design was good enough to make me happy, too.
rthling
rthling

Number of posts : 1830
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SewDarnHot Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:58 am

WoW! Thanks for the tips. They thought the kids may not all want faces done so I am also going to be doing hair tincel and my son will be doing kids tattoos.
They will be buying tickets and using tickets at my area.
I have been practicing a few designs but need to get a few more boys ones worked on this week. The event is next Sat.
I had a birthday party today and I made a couple one stroke butterfly fan brushes and they were such a hit with the kids and the parents that wanted to get the painting done but not sure if their child would stay still.
I am sure I will be busy, There is only about 300 kids plus their families but also many other things and games for them to do, so a little worried but not too much. So need to do a Word Board. Do I just do a fun list of like boys on one side and girls on the other and then say like Butterfly, snake, dragon, kitty etc?? Any photos would be great. Thank you!!
SewDarnHot
SewDarnHot

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2012-10-29

http://www.ArizonaFacePainter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:28 am

^ That's how I do mine, just a one (or two) word descriptor for each design, but I jumble them up, no 'boy's list' & 'girl's list'

I had a lawn sign printed cheaply from Vistaprint, which is plain black all over except for my name & number across the bottom, same on the reverse. (You could also just use a plain black piece of display board of course, but the printed version looks professional). It's been a great purchase. To begin with I would blu-tac laminated photos to it, which could then be removed and replaced to tweak the menu as needed. Now I just use a white liquid chalk marker to write a word list, which can be washed off and changed as needed, and price if it's a PPF event. On the other side I can write a 'Face Painting has closed for today' and flip it around when needed. I've just ordered another one, basically the same, because I keep thinking of more uses for it.

When you do your list, try and make it easily changeable if possible, that way if you find a particular design is slowing you down you can remove it or change it for something else quickly.
Coral3
Coral3

Number of posts : 570
Registration date : 2012-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Jody Rife Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:06 am

I just painted for a school carnival last night it went great. They actually had the local bank sponsor having me there and then charged a fee for painting. That worked out great for them. The bank looked like a hero and the school actually made some money off of me being there.

I second, third, forth etc. the word board. Smile Gives you freedom to change your mind. Like you I have always donated for my kids school and painted for the carnival for free. I wish I had done what you did however and put a value on it. By asking for a bit of $$ for supplies, it shows them you do have an investment in this.

As far as the tips go. I have been using a jar with a stuffed monster attached to it saying, " This Monster eats tips and unicorns, leave a tip save a unicorn." LOL The kids love it and always ask the parents to help the cause, LOL Very Happy 

Enjoy your festival, you are going to be making memories for those kiddos and they will love you!
Jody Rife
Jody Rife

Number of posts : 1725
Registration date : 2011-02-19

http://www.jodyrife.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SewDarnHot Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:58 am

Thank you all so much. It is almost time. EEK!
I am going to look for a board tomorrow. I have black vinyl i can cover it with and make a board.
I did have my sample book at the birthday party and realized after the party that my icecream cone sample had a cherry on top and the ones i made (had 3requests) did not have a cherry. I felt bad even though nobody said anything.
I have picked up some hair tincel and IF it is nott busy with the face painting I figured I can offer strands for the same ticket price as the face paint. I also was looking at the hair painting with the face paint and thought I could offer hair streaks as well. It would be even faster than painting and give the kids the flash they would want.The more tickets i get is more money for the school.
However I was bummed yesterday as i got a request for a birthday that same day and same time. However I am hoping it is just the start of my bookings and I get lots more from the event and handing out fliers.
Thanks for all the tips. I did realize i need to get a bat - not batman but a bat and maybe a monster mask that I can do in multiple colors for boys and girls. More practice needed by Sat!
SewDarnHot
SewDarnHot

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:21 am

They'll understand, as you weren't the only entertainment there.

Last edited by nikkili26 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
nikkili26
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Gladys1992 Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:00 am

Always kids was very surprised and excited to paint even if we teach them properly means they will learn soon.I have partcipated in many events and also i conducted and helped many face painting events.Most of them will use Liquid Latex Face paint for events.

Gladys1992

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2013-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by SewDarnHot Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:44 pm

Nikkili26: I coudn't do that. They are at the same time and I always believe in keeping my commitments and teach my children the same thing.
The event is in a couple days and I was already asked to be paet if another event the following week at another school. They are having a paid event and said I can set up and charge what I want. However they are having studentsfrom the school offwr face painting as well. It is part of a homecoming event and I am thinking of offering hair streaks for 2-$3 and hair tincels. Just want to see if I get a birthday party booked first. ;-)
SewDarnHot
SewDarnHot

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:22 pm

Oh that's good then, that means you aren't in a tight spot financially! Yes, by all means, be charitable if you can afford it!

I fell on hard times recently-I forget sometimes lol...I just can't paint for free til I have a little money to the side because if I use up all my black and white, that's a problem!
nikkili26
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by SewDarnHot Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:00 pm

Hi everyone, wanted to check in and tell how things went.
It was fun. They only had me asking 1 ticket at first and my line was forever. Then went to 2 tickets. Still major line. Next year they want me back and will be doing 3 or 4 tickets.
Kids loved the designs and I just brought a book with my photos. Told them I could do other things as well and just painted away. Favorite was the neon rainbow and I had to add more pink and purple to it just to get by on a couple other gigs. I will definately get large single colors to make a small neon rainbow and add to the rainbow I have when I need too.
Quickly learning about the different textures of brands and still can't wait to try starblend.
Nikkiki26 Yep. Very hard times here but I always believe it will come back. I did the school and the following weekend. Just this last one, I had 3 back to back on Sat. A local fire station that I did pay per face. Just charged a low 3.00 fee and so could have charged more but still took home over 100 and some tips for 4 hrs. After I had a birthday party and got 115 for 1 1/2 hrs and then a local bar asked me to come by and I did only 15.00 there. Sad All in all I call it a good day. Got gas money and food money and got to do what I am loving to do. The local bar said I can come back each week ) when I do not hadbe paid gigs) and I just pay them a percentage of what I make and in turn I get advertising and they let me come when they have the big events. The previous week I was there I made over 100 also.

Still hoping for paid gigs and big events but just keep sending out emails.
Now to work on my intro letter more. Smile
SewDarnHot
SewDarnHot

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Magick Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:55 pm

http://www.gigsalad.com/

my stats for that site are
417/2,095
90 Day/All Visits

Leads Received

Website Visits

Reviews

if there are a lot of painters in your area you may have to get featured so your at the top of the list but one performance pays for the next 3-4 months of being featured.
Michael Magick
Michael Magick

Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2013-02-24

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyond-Belief-Magic/1166254450630

Back to top Go down

Post by ninaschau Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:16 pm

I have painted at my kids carnival for free, ask them to either compensate for product or put out a tip jar, I'm sure they will say yes, also, think about how many tix you are charging, put your self high, even though the tix are for the school, the kids bought their tix, and parents of little ones will see that, I always have ended up with bookings after a carnival, talk to parents, i see it as getting to know my market, only offer quick designs
ninaschau
ninaschau

Number of posts : 486
Registration date : 2012-08-03

http://www.fantasyfacebyNina,com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2