Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Free Face paint at an elementary school event

+10
Jody Rife
rthling
Lady Jayde
Shawna D.
funfacesbybrenda
a face painting mom
Coral3
Mehndi Masala
Luvs to paint
SewDarnHot
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Free  Face paint at an elementary school event Empty Free Face paint at an elementary school event

Post by SewDarnHot Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:23 pm

I am part of the PTSA at my kids school and was asked to do free face painting. It would be my first real gig besides my kids and their friends. I said yes but I was wondering if I should ask if I can at least put out a tip jar. It is 2 weeks before my second event a fun halloween event. They have had a balloon twister last year and he was real busy. I sold crafts. So hubby said he will sell my crafts and I can do face painting. I am going to make up sample designs to pick from for both events but do not want to get overwhelmed.
I did ask my boys to ask their friends at school what they might like. Fish face where the mouth is the kids, angry birds. Sports balls. It will be a somewhat halloween party so thinking spiders, I know girl things because my girls help me there. Hk, ladybug, horse, butterfly.
Do I offer just cheek, cheek and half face? Im not great with full face and need to consider time. The svhool even it 2 hrs and tbe other is 3-4
Thanks for any help!!
SewDarnHot
SewDarnHot

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2012-10-29

http://www.ArizonaFacePainter.com

Back to top Go down

Free  Face paint at an elementary school event Empty Re: Free Face paint at an elementary school event

Post by Luvs to paint Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:57 pm

WOW! if you're doing it for free with no recompense, don't do designs that take you over 2 minutes. go through the photos here for the fastest/simplest designs you can find and do those only. with it free, you will be swamped and I do mean swamped. maybe 3 designs for girls, 3 for boys... show a photo. no choice in color. you decide. saves time.

if they won't let you put up a tip jar, see if you can charge at least 50 cents per face, even a quarter (I know that's not much but at least it's something). let them know your volunteering, but your supplies do cost MONEY.
Luvs to paint
Luvs to paint

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Free  Face paint at an elementary school event Empty Re: Free Face paint at an elementary school event

Post by Luvs to paint Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:04 pm

I know cheek art sounds quick, but actually it's usually not. search for "quick designs".... 9 times out of 10 they will be a mask, have a wow factor, but be fast. add a poof of glitter for the girls and your done.
Luvs to paint
Luvs to paint

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:55 pm

Free gigs are a great way to get more free gigs and teach people to never pay you...ever...because you are obviously not worth it. Let them know your supplies cost money and although you are starting out, you have practiced your skills and that your prices are going to be going up within the year as your skills mature. Luvs to paint is right...try to get something or you may be setting yourself up for a lot of expectation of 'free' in the future. Make sure they appreciated your kind and generous efforts for their event!!
Mehndi Masala
Mehndi Masala

Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2010-12-04

http://www.winnipeghenna.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SewDarnHot Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:49 pm

Thanks a bunch. I know - Kinda killing myself here. Most of the kids will be unsupervised. Making things worse. Of course It was after she asked If i would be able to do it and i said sure and said I had another event following was when she said oh- well this wouldn't be a paid event. I know i will get recognition and can put out my cards - i also know i need the practice for the big event two weeks later. I do not mind the time - just the paint costs. How can i tastefully offer my time but ask for a tip jar or compensation for my paints. I am already thinking of the other event and what colors I should have. The only 2 big rounds I have are Pink and pink/blue split. I have a bunch of the smaller rectangle stuff from last years end of Halloween sale and a couple little splits made from them.
I was planning on buying more colors today. *sigh*
SewDarnHot
SewDarnHot

Back to top Go down

Post by SewDarnHot Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:52 pm

I cannot call her but I can respectfully text her my wishes or intentions.
SewDarnHot
SewDarnHot

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:54 pm

don't ask, Tell!  (well perhaps 'tell' is too strong...basically just 'do')You are doing this for free, and they said "OH well...we aren't actually going to PAY you" then just say, "Do you have a color preference for my tip jar?" or something like that to let them know there WILL be a tip jar.  And as for cards, this can be a good idea if you don't let on that you are there free!  Just often mention how kind the event is to provide your services for them!  (yeah...reaaal kind! LOL) so you are insinuating you are paid if it comes up if they ask.  If they know you were free...AND they have your card, that will be the card for the 'free painter lady'.
Mehndi Masala
Mehndi Masala

Back to top Go down

Post by SewDarnHot Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:06 pm

Thanks - That helps. Yes- I will make sure she does not offer the fact i was free to anyone. I will let her know that I will provide a tip jar for my table. I do not want to take money from the school but so far I have only spent and not made anything. :-(
We are a small town/area so i want to make sure i get all the local gigs. I was gonna vistaprint some cards as mine have boutique & craft items on them. Maybe do some with boutique on one side and face painting on the other? Or should I do just a simple face paint one?
SewDarnHot
SewDarnHot

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:16 pm

I can't tell you that as you live where you are and you will have to learn your market and your target audience. For me, I have two cards. I do face/body painting, but I'm also a henna master so I do high end bridal for the brides in my city. Soooooo....my brides don't want to hear about the face paint and visa vers! LOL
Mehndi Masala
Mehndi Masala

Back to top Go down

Post by SewDarnHot Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:51 pm

Got it!! - My professions are both kid related so might be ok. But I may just have both seperate just in case. Smile
SewDarnHot
SewDarnHot

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:35 pm

If the kids are going to be unsupervised, what are your chances of getting tips even with the tip jar out?  Do kids tip? (assuming they even have money on them?)  We don't do the tipping thing here Australia, so I'm wondering if that will work?
Coral3
Coral3

Number of posts : 570
Registration date : 2012-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:41 pm

Kids do tip if it's a colorful jar! They ask mom & dad for change to tip! And often the moms do come and take a peek at what is going on. Won't be a real big haul, but may cover paint costs!
Mehndi Masala
Mehndi Masala

Back to top Go down

Post by Luvs to paint Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Coral3 is right. .. how long until the gig? Tell them your professional supplies cost too much. They don't have to know how much you have invested. charge a minimum amount of at least $25 to $50 (to cover supplies) plus put out a tip jar. don't count on the tips though.

The teachers could send home flyers with the kids in each classroom letting the parents know they need a $1 or $2 for the face painter, that would at least cover some replacement paints.

I did a school fall festival last year. the school had a "ticket booth" and sold tickets for all the games, me, etc. My booth took 4 tickets per child. Two parents were assigned to help me. One to get the kid in and out of the chair and maintain the line, the other parent to take up tickets and make sure the kids paid the tickets. My face painting was a "gift" to the school festival by one of the children's parents who sponsored me. The school didn't pay me but the parent did. The parents were also the ones helping me at my booth. It was a great, well thought out event.

if it's a pto event, and parents are donating cookies, etc., maybe some parents would rather donate money which could be set aside for your supplies.. just an idea.
Luvs to paint
Luvs to paint

Back to top Go down

Post by SewDarnHot Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:14 pm

Thank you. The event is going to be Oct. 16th. I am gathering all the ideas and will text her tomorrow. I know they usually charge for food and I think they had a ticket booth one year. I think last year everything was free - games and such and all the prizes were donated items to the school. Sigh
Just don't know what to say. I don't want to be an naughty word but the paints are expensive.
I will ask her if they will be doing a ticket booth - I haven't been to any of the meetings this year. Not sure. She may prob just say put out a tip jar. I guess something is better than nothing.
SewDarnHot
SewDarnHot

Back to top Go down

Post by SewDarnHot Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:16 pm

Luvs to paint - so with the tickets, the school paid you a flat rate and then it was a portion of the ticket sales? Or did you present your tickets at the end and they paid you that way?
I know they do ticket sales for the food and raffles but think that is all.
SewDarnHot
SewDarnHot

Back to top Go down

Post by SewDarnHot Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:42 pm

ok - i figured better sooner than later. I texted her. explained my usual fees. and that I am happy to donate my time but need at least a small portion to cover the paint costs - mentioning they are professional ones and not purchased at the local craft stores (that stain).
I mentioned the ticket sales and suggested that route and also mentioned a tip jar to also offset costs as well. - I said it a bit nicer - just giving the jist of things.
I will let you know what she says.
Either it will work or not. I just hated the thought of running out of paint for my other event.
Thanks for the help and ideas. I'll be asking a lot more I'm sure Smile
I have a folding painters table that i am going to use. It has a couple bucket holders - I need to find out what size. I converted a wooden case to hold my paints - It will change in time but works well for now.
I had also purchased those mini rectangle clear cases to make splits I made a couple but still need fun colors. Purple oranges metallics etc to make it look good.
I'll let you know
SewDarnHot
SewDarnHot

Back to top Go down

Post by SewDarnHot Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:17 pm

*update*
Ok she texted back saying that she has a bunch of non professional things including glitter/ tattoos, paints etc. and that i could use those items.
I did text back stating that I cannot use anything that is not made for face painting/children as most items are toxic and my paints are not.
Hubby says just use her stuff. I think not as I do not want to be know as "that" type of person expecially when I am trying to get the business started. Hubby says good experiance. I agree but still. . . well you know. (above) I do not mind applying tattoos as well if she wants to keep the line moving. I could have one of my kids do that though Smile She did mention tickets but I think I am missing part of her text so I need to wait to hear more. - * Sigh *
SewDarnHot
SewDarnHot

Back to top Go down

Post by SewDarnHot Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:35 pm

Another update! she just texted and offered me $40 (I suggested $30 in my text). Cool. Now to buy some new paints.
SewDarnHot
SewDarnHot

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:08 pm

Yes! You may also suggest that the school make money, have them charge for you and donate a portion of the tips. Put up a sign that says professional face painting provided by (what ever your organization name is) That way, you are obviously not the free painter, and you will be surprised how much you make for the school. Also, you set the bar for the people who take your card.
a face painting mom
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SewDarnHot Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:35 pm

oh good idea! Thanks - I will pass along that idea.

I was also thinking of getting some stencils to make things faster. thoughts??
SewDarnHot
SewDarnHot

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:42 pm

My opinion is, do what you do best to show off who you are. If you don't do stencils at a birthday party, then you wont want to do it at this event. You are probably better off to offer a limited selection. Linda Schrenk has a one stroke batman, do one stroke quick eyes, do things that have "wow" but that people don't see with volunteers.
a face painting mom
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by funfacesbybrenda Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:03 pm

I'll been part of my school PTA and I always do free face painting for the school event... But I always ask for at least $100 worth in supplies ! They're always willing to pay Smile ..
Good luck
funfacesbybrenda
funfacesbybrenda

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2012-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Luvs to paint Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:38 am

Sew Darn Hot, the school didn't pay me, one of the parents hired me at my full business price and donated my services to the festival.  my booth was still part of their "ticketed items" but I didn't have to keep up with them.  The parents who hired me "manned" my booth while I painted.  The mom corralled the kids and the dad collected the tickets.

The couple who hired me told me that they could have made a monetary donation to the school but thought hiring a face painter would be a better donation. I agree, lol.
Luvs to paint
Luvs to paint

Back to top Go down

Post by Shawna D. Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:07 am

I have a great face painting business and charge a premium price however, when it comes to my kids I work my butt off for the pure enjoyment of it. Yes, I've booked some gigs off of the 2 events I paint for per year through my school but, that's not why I do it.  It's my way of giving back. If you do it for free because you WANT to then great but, if you're only doing it to possibly book paying gigs you may want to re-think it.

It's working hard and fast for possibly hundreds of kids. I take a word menu board to both events. This makes it easier for me to paint 1-2 minute designs and the kids love it so therefor I love it!

The kids at my school know who I am now and look forward to the 2 events I do per year. I'm like a mini celebrity LOL! That's good enough reason for me.

Best wishes whatever decision you make. Just make sure you feel rewarded in some way shape or form whatever you decide.
Shawna D.
Shawna D.

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2011-01-23

http://www.facenbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SewDarnHot Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:51 am

Thanks everyone! Our school is a small school with only about 300 kids total if that in the whole school. One of those that everyone knows everyone. I am known as the crafty mom and when something needs done they usually call me unless i tell them i'm real busy.
I am more than happy to do this at no charge and they are encouraging me to bring cards and such. I am happy that they are paying me a bit. It will help me cover the cost of a little paints - which i needed to get anyway for the next event I have two weeks later.
Still trying to figure what designs to offer. I do not want it too limited but I am thinking of picking up a few seasonal stencils just for a few super quickies. I do offer tattoos with glitter tattoos that I make myself but the last batch I made have a sticky cover to them and hard to get off quickly. I'm thinking if I have a couple easy stencils I can jazz them up with some glitter and/or my split cakes. I only have a couple but I just ordered two more and thinking of remaking some of mine that the colors are cool but I just do not use them. Halloween supplies are coming out so I will also see about getting a few mini wolf ones like I did last year at clearance. I just need a couple more colors like orange, light brown, White, red and black for base. (Currently using snaz for those and thinking i need to switch to starblend) and a few metallic or shimmer.
I'll let you know how things are going. I need to get back up to working on loading the brush and the strokes. It has been a while. I tried to paint at the park this weekend but It was getting windy and the paint started getting glopy on the brush. Sad
SewDarnHot
SewDarnHot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next