Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm confused and hope you guys could help...

+6
Affordable Face Magic
Creabella
Rebons
Misha
Maxell
I Heart Face Painting
10 posters

Go down

I'm confused and hope you guys could help... Empty I'm confused and hope you guys could help...

Post by I Heart Face Painting Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:25 pm

Several months ago I got into face painting and I LOVE it. I started watching youtube videos and came across several videos in which they were showing us how to make your own split cakes and so forth. I was really excited and wanted to make one myself so my husband and I drove to the nearest shop in our area that carried face paint. When we got to the shop the owner greeted me and asked what I was looking for... The minute I told her I was looking for a green, yellow and white to make my own split cake, she looked at me as though I was crazy. She started going on and on about how we are not suppose to make our own cakes and how it wasn't sanitary. She went on to ask me how would I like it if someone painted on my face with a home made cake...she made me feel embarrassed for even telling her what I had planed to make with them. I told her I had seen youtube videos of lots of people making them and she simply told me "well, I guess they don't mind being sued when they make a child's face break out". I just want to make sure its safe and that I wont get in trouble. I really want to make some but I'm worried and confused now lol

I Heart Face Painting

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2013-08-06

Back to top Go down

I'm confused and hope you guys could help... Empty Re: I'm confused and hope you guys could help...

Post by Maxell Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:04 pm

that person is dishing out a boat load of crap.....make  your own.  Tell that person to show proof that making your own increases risk of infection, otherwise it is an unverifiable opinion.  Making your own splits is the same thing as repotting your paints into a different container.
Maxell
Maxell

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2013-05-24

Back to top Go down

I'm confused and hope you guys could help... Empty Re: I'm confused and hope you guys could help...

Post by Misha Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:15 pm

and may I add don't frequent her store again.
Misha
Misha

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebons Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:42 pm

What they said, and...
I would really like to hear an explanation of how it is unsanitary, as we have to have contact with our makeup to apply it to children, how is repotting some going to be any more unsanitary? She sounds like a complete fruit loop. And again how is "unsanitary" paint going to cause a child to break out? At the end of a good day my children have various organic materials, including dirt, sand, food, juice and multiple brands of face paint on their faces and they've never broken out. What a kook
Rebons
Rebons

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2012-08-14

Http://happypaintedfaces.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by I Heart Face Painting Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:07 pm

Thanks guys!! I appreciate you guys replying back...Smile

I Heart Face Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Creabella Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:05 am

She belongs to the Nutbar lady legends Laughing 
Creabella
Creabella

Number of posts : 1218
Registration date : 2012-11-02

https://www.creabellafaceart.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Affordable Face Magic Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:23 am

I'm thinking she also wanted you to buy HER one strokes & it was partly about $$$$$? NAH, she was just "out there". If she was serious, she's prob. never been to a jam/convention/class, & is DEF> out of touch-that's for sure!
Affordable Face Magic
Affordable Face Magic

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2011-09-28

http://www.affordablefacemagic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by artyfacesbyluz Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:10 pm

Well, she got some points, if you read the labels of the different brands they all advise you not to mix with other brands because it will void the brand's liability if you make a split cake with different brands and you paint the kid and he gets a reaction you won't know which brand to blame, so its better to make split cakes of the same brand. (Silly Farm split cakes are all from different brands)
Second it can be unsanitary if you cut your paint in a non clean surface using your kitchen utensils but if you take your precautions there is nothing wrong about it.
artyfacesbyluz
artyfacesbyluz

Number of posts : 956
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.artyfacesbyluz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Affordable Face Magic Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:28 pm

Thanks for this thread. I've used paints I already had, but there are a few splits available in AU that Tash uses that I can't find here in the USA. Seeing her bright & beautiful color combos & reading this thread spurred me on...to place an order w/Metina @ the FPF Shop. I added some TAG colors & look forward to making my own colorful splits!
Affordable Face Magic
Affordable Face Magic

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2011-09-28

http://www.affordablefacemagic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by I Heart Face Painting Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:13 pm

Thanks artyfaces! I'll take everything you said into consideration when making my own cakes Smile

I Heart Face Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by ediesbeads Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:18 am

I'm late coming to this thread, but maybe she though you were wanting to make your own paint? Not just mixing different kinds of professional paint. Just trying to give her the benefit of the doubt. But if not, she just a nutbar!

I'm just about to order a bunch of basic colors, make several half and half splits, then use the remaining halves to make one strokes! Can't wait!
ediesbeads
ediesbeads

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2013-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post by TinafromNY Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:49 am

NUTBAR!!!!! I make my own all the time, never have a problem. I use a thin, clean razorknife to cut them cleanly and life the strips right out with the razorknife to "re-pot" them. IF you're worried, make them all from the same brand...I find TAG makes the brightest, nicest homemade splits. IF you're further worried, wear those thin plastic gloves when doing it, but I don't see why it's unsanitary anyway, we touch the paints all the time and they have anti-bacterial properties. And Rebecca is right, kids get all kinds of dirt and stuff on them all day, nothing happens! The most important part of being sanitary with paints is not painting a kid with obvious skin or eye problems and letting paints dry out overnight before putting the lid on. Lady was a NUTBAR and probably never face painted in her life, just sells them. She was IGNORANT lol
TinafromNY
TinafromNY

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2012-07-05

http://www.facefanaticfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by saloner Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:20 am

I agree with all....but Tina, I am wondering why you say not to leave the lids off of the paint over night? In my black Mehron/silly farm boxes I never put a lid on them. Paints are good. I do swipe wipe over them when I clean and put them away....have you had a problem?
You just keep up the excitement to learn all you can about face painting.
saloner
saloner

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2010-04-18

https://www.facebook.com/facepaintnmama1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down