Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HELP!!! I am so confused as to what to order

+2
thouartbeautiful
minxpk
6 posters

Go down

HELP!!! I am so confused as to what to order Empty HELP!!! I am so confused as to what to order

Post by minxpk Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:53 pm

Hello All! I am trying to decide if I should get the paradise pro A or the tag split regular case. I have several rainbow (silly farm) and prisma cakes, but that's it really. Please recommend some brands. I would like to have a comprehensive kit, and already have some glitter, etc, but I want to get the good stuff. Am I better off buying things individually from different manufacturers, or should I do a palette? I am also going to do some one stroke/arty style cakes. Suggestions please!!!!

minxpk

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2013-11-06

Back to top Go down

HELP!!! I am so confused as to what to order Empty Re: HELP!!! I am so confused as to what to order

Post by thouartbeautiful Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:09 pm

I bought the tag pallet of 12 essential colors and am happy I did, but I did it knowing that I eventually would be buying those colors in larger sizes later
thouartbeautiful
thouartbeautiful

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2013-09-21

http://www.thouartbeautiful.com

Back to top Go down

HELP!!! I am so confused as to what to order Empty Re: HELP!!! I am so confused as to what to order

Post by minxpk Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:28 pm

how do they blend compared to the paradise? maybe I should just get several small palettes...
also, any suggestions for black and white?

minxpk

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:08 pm

I got both, I regret nothing, best purchase decisions I ever made, aside from the paradise prisma palette.

start with the TAG split. you'll eventually get both, but the splits will allow you a larger paint selection in the meantime. there is TONS of paint, you can even use it for line work or cheek art in a pinch, without going to another cake.....you can even use for bases!
nikkili26
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by thouartbeautiful Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:28 pm

I have the paradise prismas too and pretty much have every color/combination I need.  That will help you see what colors you use up the fastest too.
thouartbeautiful
thouartbeautiful

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:37 pm

can I suggest the snazaroo jumbo palette also? my only modification was adding snazzy purple and snaz turquoise.

I prefer snaz white and black for base work-related super soft, creamy, blends like a dream, non staining, unscented, opaque and dries FAST!
I prefer Wolfe essentials black and white hydrocolor for line work- super crisp, easy to activate, and easy to thin out for shadows, as well as thick enough to stay opaque for highlights, as it doesn't absorb other colors well, making it great for layering.
nikkili26
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by minxpk Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:39 am

Wow! Thank you so much for your help! I can only find wolfe black though! I have snaz black and white, but for line work, ugh.... Is the chameleon white good? I was concerned about buying wolfe and dfx as there have been so many posts recently about the goopiness! I am new, and want to invest my $$$ wisely! I was doing the corporate gig, hurt my back at work, and have found my passion while out of work! Been face painting my kids for years, but I'm starting a business and have my first gig on the 23rd! AHHHH! I seriously need to make some boards, etc. I've been watching the posts for a while, but was feeling a bit shy I suppose. What a great community this is! Should I invest in wolfe black and ....... white?

minxpk

Back to top Go down

Post by minxpk Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:44 am

oh, and what arty/one strokes should I get to finish me off (for now!!!)? I currently own the following rainbow cakes from silly farm: brilliant bling, camo, moonlight, moonlight, neon, and pink potion. The tag ones look good, and I do like that they are square.

minxpk

Back to top Go down

Post by Affordable Face Magic Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:18 am

IMHO, for one-strokes you need:
Snake: for snakes, leaves, dragons
Rose: for butterflies, princesses, flowers, masks
Any blue combo: for butterflies, dolphins, waves, flowers
& masks
Dragon or fire: also good for butterflies, monsters, masks
& flowers
Affordable Face Magic
Affordable Face Magic

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2011-09-28

http://www.affordablefacemagic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:48 pm

yes, get the wolfe white and black.

i don't care how much better it used to be with beeswax, it is still the bomb.
nikkili26
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:49 pm

and get an order of glitter gel...i just tried the suzy sparkle holographic, and it doesn't photograph well at all, BUT IN PERSON YOUR DESIGNS WILL POP LIKE CRAZY!!!!!!!!!

just sooooooooooooooo gorgeous, it is gold, but reflects orange and green and it is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

as for the colors-get whatever you feel like.

we're all working with the same rainbow, it is how we use those colors that defines our styles.

personally, i go for mostly neon pink, metalic rose, gold, teal, pastel blues, bright purples, dark reds, yellow and greens, orange, black and silver.

so all of my color choices reflect that, no matter what my design is.

if you want EVERY color, then that's your perogative...

I personally choose to mix and blend my own color combos-but the colors i just told you are the ones i use the most of...so as you can see, it isn't ideal for ME to set my kit up like yours-but every kit is personal! get what colors you like seeing together the most-or that are most often requested in your area.
nikkili26
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by minxpk Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:08 pm

You guys are awesome! I really appreciate all the advice. I am on my way!

minxpk

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:52 pm

p.s. makeup is makeup. I don't mix brands on small kids-they get 100% snaz.
but same is true for regular over the counter makeup. My kids only get bonnebell.

however, older kids and teens regularly mix maybeline, wet n wild, NYC color......so you can mix mehron, snaz, Wolfe.
nikkili26
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:50 pm

^ Perhaps I'm missing some vital point here, but I'm not understanding the logic of your 'don't mix brands' policy...? Wondering what the reasoning is for it?

Coral3
Coral3

Number of posts : 570
Registration date : 2012-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by thouartbeautiful Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:01 pm

I think it has to do with the topic of reaction and liability and not knowing what brand caused what.  I don't really worry about this, I only use a few brands (Dfx, tag, Wolfe and paradise...just added one chameleon too) but I believe that's why I carry liability insurance and they cover medical care.
thouartbeautiful
thouartbeautiful

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:48 am

I don't mix brands on SMALL KIDS because they all get 100% snazaroo.

I like to know exactly what I put on them so I can steer parents towards the right solution if something were to happen.

Big kids and adults mix brands all the time.makeup is makeup. It is all high quality and FDA compliant, so mix away. I just don't do it on small kids. Snaz comes right off with a gentle rinse of water and usually does not stain no matter what the complexion is.
nikkili26
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by minxpk Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:50 pm

by small kids do you mean under 4? what is the cutoff? I just ordered all the tag regular split strokes, pearl white and black, a bunch of one strokes (snake, dragon, teddy, bird, 4 rainbow, new unicorn, pansy, iris, magpie, rose), tag split (awesome, aurora bordelis, northern lights, fairy floss, etc) and some mark reid and paradise brushes. grabbed wolfe black and dfx white, as wolfe is out of stock everywhere. I have about 5 silly farm rainbow cakes and 4 prisma cakes (except patriot and the white/grey/black one). Am I good? oh, also ordered sponges, practice head, etc. any thoughts on the silly farm large or medium practice board???

minxpk

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:26 am

I don't mean to confuse you.a small child as in, a kid who needs to be accompanied by an older kid or adult.poreless skin, rounded cheeks, small faces.

if you have room, get the other prisma cakes.you won't regret it.

i prefer to practice on myself, or foam sheets taped to the wall, or my buddah board.HELP!!! I am so confused as to what to order Bub00110
lets me practice teardrops with my brushes and water, saves me paint and helps me memorize designs quickly.
if you think the board will be usefull, get it.
nikkili26
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by minxpk Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:52 am

wow! I have a buddah board! never would have thought of using it. genius! well, I actually got it for my dad for fathers day, but he is very much a type A personality, so it hasn't gotten much use. I will call and see if they are using it. thanks for clarifying about the small child. I was concerned when looking online at different sites. some are very upfront about neons, while others don't even mention the fact that they aren't fda approved.

minxpk

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Magick Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:58 am

just buy everything, if your addicted like some here you will eventually anyways.

happy painting!
Michael Magick
Michael Magick

Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2013-02-24

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyond-Belief-Magic/1166254450630

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:40 pm

I do use neon pink on my girls! I put it over snaz pink for extra pop! I love neon over classic colors....I'm about to invest in Wolfe neon orange, pink and green. I heard the yellow isn't too good.
nikkili26
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down