Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Health Canada Regulations

4 posters

Go down

Health Canada Regulations Empty Health Canada Regulations

Post by kingsmeadmama Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:40 pm

I know that our paints (TAG, DFX, Snaz etc...) are FDA compliant, what I can't seem to find anywhere is information about Health Canada regulations or guidelines. Can anyone help me out? Shannon? Fesspenter? Shelley? Any other cannucks I'm missing?

I've googled and searched health canada's website to no avail. I haven't been able to find a clear answer. Any light that can be shed on this for me would be very much appreciated Smile

kingsmeadmama
kingsmeadmama

Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Health Canada Regulations Empty Re: Health Canada Regulations

Post by Guest Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:07 pm

We don't have the same type of set-up for that.

On my resources page I have links to Health Canada information - go to the MSDS page.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:07 pm

Here is the direct link

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/cosmet-person/indust/hot-list-critique/index-eng.php

Back to top Go down

Post by kingsmeadmama Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:16 pm

Thank you, Shannon! That is very helpful!

kingsmeadmama
kingsmeadmama

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelley Bellefontaine Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:49 pm

I have actually tried contacting health Canada my self. One person I finally talked to was interested in working towards some type of guidelines for face and body art. Then the trail went cold so to speak! I have also researched Ontario's guidelines. Those were even harder to find . I did find some stuff though! We are not as strict as Alberta, BUT to be honest , I do follow Alberta's regulations pretty closely! According to Ontario's rules we fell under vendors. I have to go back into my files from a few years ago. I researched a ton of stuff along with the chair of cafaba . I will dig some stuff up for you Christine. In the mean time , as Shannon said, carry the MSD sheets with you Very Happy
Shelley Bellefontaine
Shelley Bellefontaine

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-05-05

http://www.you-name-it.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Ester K-D Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:56 pm

If you find more Shelley, I'd love a copy or site info too. I haven't found much for Ontario. Thanks

Ester K-D

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2011-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:03 am

The way that I was taught to paint as hygienically as possible was by Rick Wray of Infectious Disease Control at SickKids Hospital in 1999. The standards I use in the hospital are exactly the method described by Shannon Fennell in any face painting job.
I believe that the "Alberta Method" will be the way we will be regulated to paint by outside agencies if we do not follow proper hygiene standards ourselves.

xoxo
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by kingsmeadmama Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:30 am

Thank you everyone!

I was wondering more about the paints themselves. I know that a lot of American (and Canadian) painters comment on the FDA compliance on websites, and cards. I wondered if there was a Health Canada equivilent to that.

I've adopted your hygiene routine, Lisa - it's a good one!

I've also got the MSDS sheets printed, and ready to go in a binder - though I must confess, they don't mean very much to me in terms of the technical information.
kingsmeadmama
kingsmeadmama

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:12 am

The MSDS contains the information. It lists the ingredients, it states any cautions and treatments, how to clean/remove, etc.

And I have never been asked to produce one. I have shown containers to some people who asked about ingredients (I always have a couple "new" cakes in my kit as back-ups.)

And quite frankly the FDA doesn't hold any weight in Canada. 1) they are a US government agency therefore means nothing up here, and 2) there are MANY ingredients and products that they approve and Health Canada doesn't and vice versa. (There are quite a few products that you cannot get in the States that you can get here!)

But you are correct that a lot of Canadian painters do refer to FDA compliant... people do recognize what it means.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down