Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arty Cake staining?

+3
Kammy
artyfacesbyluz
mpwifey
7 posters

Go down

Arty Cake staining? Empty Arty Cake staining?

Post by mpwifey Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:42 pm

So finallllly I ventured into the world of one stroke because well I felt like it, businees has been good; and so I got the build a kit pallet with 15 choices from sillyfarm. I bounced around for days waiting for it and was like a kid in a candy store when it came in and I am quite disappointed in it for one reason.... does anyone else have a problem with staining from them?! I painted myself, and three of my munchkins and all of us were stained, the green was the WORST! They were gorgeous and fun but I don't want complaints of kids being stained for days. I have a disclaimer and all that out that some colors do stain but this seemed a bit excessive. Am I doing something wrong or is it just a side effect you have to learn to live with and warn about to parents for the fun and ease of these love arty cake one stroke wonders?! Laughing

mpwifey
mpwifey

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2012-05-25

https://www.facebook.com/fantachicetc

Back to top Go down

Arty Cake staining? Empty Re: Arty Cake staining?

Post by artyfacesbyluz Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:29 am

Even TAG one strokes stain sometimes, I think it depends on the skin, all the green I have tried stain.
Use gold under it to make a barrier.

Last edited by artyfacesbyluz on Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:53 am; edited 1 time in total
artyfacesbyluz
artyfacesbyluz

Number of posts : 956
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.artyfacesbyluz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:58 am

It's true. Greens, except for Snaz I've found, tend to be stainy. DFX is the worst on me! Some pinks are pretty bad, too - Superstar Shimmer Pink, please stand up. The lightest blue in my "Snowflake" Cameleon Colorblock is a shameless repeat offender, to add to the motley crew. However, they do come off with baby oil or a warm (not hot) shower and baby shampoo.

I've heard some people put a barrier cream underneath and let it settle into the skin, to help cut down on the staining. Or for a more expensive option....would Mehron barrier spray work? Obviously you wouldn't want to use that on kids, though.
Kammy
Kammy

Number of posts : 1408
Registration date : 2012-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by mpwifey Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:32 am

Ahhh, see that is what I would be unaware as to the staining, literally up until this last week i had used Snaz exclusively. I now have FAB, Wolfe, and Mehron and the Arty Cakes. Quite excited to use them at my next event!! I finally felt like my talent has gotten to the point that it was time to move past Snazaroo paints. Although now I need to stay away from the forum shop and sillyfarm for awhile, I went a LITTLE overboard. LOL
mpwifey
mpwifey

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:14 am

Dear mpwifey,

You can use the search bar to research about staining... Now that you are using paints that can have a staining effect on different skin types, you need to supply each parent with the information on how to remove the stains... Some people have the info printed on the back of their business cards and others have a sign posted with paint removal instructions/suggestions.... Very Happy
Miss Ronnie
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:22 am

mpwifey wrote:Ahhh, see that is what I would be unaware as to the staining, literally up until this last week i had used Snaz exclusively. I now have FAB, Wolfe, and Mehron and the Arty Cakes. Quite excited to use them at my next event!! I finally felt like my talent has gotten to the point that it was time to move past Snazaroo paints. Although now I need to stay away from the forum shop and sillyfarm for awhile, I went a LITTLE overboard. LOL
Ooh, don't let Perry hear you say that - she uses exclusively Snazaroo and has great talent! Laughing

Seriously though, I don't know if it's a case of "moving past", so much as learning what's best for which technique. Lots of established face painters on here have said that nothing beats Snaz for blending bases with, but (and I agree here) that the very qualities that make it so blendable also mean it's not great for line work or applying in layers. Many of the other paints don't work as well for blended bases, either because they have greater staining tendencies or they dry so quickly they can't be worked as well....but again, this second tendency can make them amazing for detailed line work.

I might not know much, but I do think people write off Snazaroo as a "beginners' paint", because it's more easily obtainable than many others and therefore what many painters start out with...but I think it does have good applications. I've got a mongrel mix of Superstar, Snaz, TAG, DFX, Wolfe, Paradise and Cameleon in my kit!

OK, going away now. Wink
Kammy
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by MissHeidi Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:25 am

I did quite a bit of reading about staining after my first order of paints as well, and it is true that it depends on skin type. My youngest has very dry skin and he stains much worse than my older son and my husband who is more on the oily side (sorry babe) has never had a problem. Greens and purples seem to be the worst for us. I also found a tid-bit on Lisa Joy Young's You Tube channel about wearing foundation before she paints herself - that it acts as a barrier to staining. Won't help with the kids you are painting, but useful knowledge all the same.

As a side note - my sister in law brings her kids to a restaurant where there is a face painter every Wednesday night. She has commented about the staining, but continues to bring her kids back there (on a school night) - so it can't be too much of a concern!
MissHeidi
MissHeidi

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2012-07-30

http://www.colormewildfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mpwifey Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:40 am

Ooh, don't let Perry hear you say that - she uses exclusively Snazaroo and has great talent! Laughing

Seriously though, I don't know if it's a case of "moving past", so much as learning what's best for which technique. Lots of established face painters on here have said that nothing beats Snaz for blending bases with, but (and I agree here) that the very qualities that make it so blendable also mean it's not great for line work or applying in layers. Many of the other paints don't work as well for blended bases, either because they have greater staining tendencies or they dry so quickly they can't be worked as well....but again, this second tendency can make them amazing for detailed line work.

LOL Ok that totally came out wrong!! Perry's using Snazaroo exclusively is actually why I started out with them exclusively at first, and she is amazingly talented (and I LOVE her hair!! LOL). I DO love Snazroo for a lot of their colors as bases such as the red and one of their blues. I researched for WEEEKS before I bought my own original set of Snazaroo. I had been using Snazroos provided by the people I had been working unit functions or so far and I didn't hate them and after researching I figured I'd stay with what I was familiar with and it was still professional grade. I did however get irritated trying to do line work with them, so my Snazroos won't be leaving my kit at all just used a bit less. LOL I am excited to have a varying variety to work with for all different designs and such. I think I have come a FAR way from the level I was at when I was just volunteering. Still have SOOO far to go and it is very nice to be reminded of that when I come on here, when I need a reality check to reign the ego in here and there. LOL Laughing
mpwifey
mpwifey

Back to top Go down

Post by mpwifey Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:45 am

MissHeidi wrote:I also found a tid-bit on Lisa Joy Young's You Tube channel about wearing foundation before she paints herself - that it acts as a barrier to staining. Won't help with the kids you are painting, but useful knowledge all the same.

Yes I remember that suggestion from one of her vids and on myself for events I always make sure to do my regular makeup first then do my design and it does make a difference.

mpwifey
mpwifey

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:15 pm

Laughing blushing...

I admit that snaz does not work very well for one stroke techniques, so if you want to do that kind of thing, snaz isn't your paint. BUT I have managed to do some similar things for crowns and masks with sponges and split cakes.... those one stroke flower petals just won't happen with Snaz though.

The other brands of paint are REALLY a lot harder to wash off and yes, parents notice it. Just be sure to tell parents (or hand them a little card with info) that if they have any trouble with staining, to apply some moisturizer or baby oil for a few minutes to that area and wash again and that the best way to wash it is with warm water and baby shampoo on a soft wash cloth.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:17 pm

I had success making splits with Snaz when I first bought it but then when I went back a month later it was too chalky to use to replenish the split. I love my white/red/black split for roses (the black is Wolfe)

Arty Cake staining? P1230212
Denise Cold
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:50 pm

it works for sponging, not brushing... but then, Snaz is better for sponging overall to begin with.... learning to do good brush work with snaz is the hard part.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:02 pm

Told you Perry would come over and put in her two-penneth! Laughing Glad you got an opinion from someone far more experienced than me, though I have to say I totally agree on the pros and cons of Snaz. I still love it for bases and its fantastically easy removal.

Denise - I'm SO impressed with those roses, especially as you did them with Snaz. How did you get the layers so crisp, without reactivating the lower ones?? I find it quite hard to layer with Snazaroo because as soon as anything moist touches it, it starts to flow again.

Or is that a special Denise "I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you" sorta thing? Wink

In any case - gorgeous roses.
Kammy
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:30 pm

LOL! I think I must load my brush really dry because I actually found the Snaz to layer really well without the "letting it dry" part. I was painting with another painter and I noticed that I pushed a lot harder than her and made my bristles flare a little when I do roses (probably comes from watching Donna Dewberry so much) so I think the white squishes out more on mine.

Gina Newsum, that makes those fabulous roses, also just does just red and white splits. The red and white Snaz split I had made GREAT roses so if you make it as soon as you get the paint, it will work. My point is, if you like Snaz, you can use it for splits as soon as you get it and then don't overwater your brush and they'll work.
Denise Cold
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:26 pm

yeah, you can't split Snaz after it's been used, it has to be fresh
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:43 pm

Perry Noia wrote:yeah, you can't split Snaz after it's been used, it has to be fresh

Really? scratch

I've cut up used Snaz lots.. .some crumbles, some doesn't. No biggee.

Back to top Go down

Post by mpwifey Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:40 am

Yeah my Snaz definitely will be staying in my kit just won't be used for line work probably. I am LOVING my Mehrons for line work so far although learned quickly they need MUCH less water, waiting for my FAB and haven't opened my Wolfes yet. And still for the life of me trying to figure out why I bought a bottle of Ben Nye LiquiSet, think I clicked something and didn't realize it. LOL Don't want it to go to waste... can it be used with any of the brands or what the heck do I do with it!? LOL
mpwifey
mpwifey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down