Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite/Least Favorite brands and why?

3 posters

Go down

Favorite/Least Favorite brands and why? Empty Favorite/Least Favorite brands and why?

Post by moonprints Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:00 pm

I've seen a few posts that address this in passing but doesn't really go into things.

What are your favorite and least favorite paint brands and why? (I'm talking about the well-known brands like the ones that can be found on Silly Farm, not the lower end paint brands from Wal-Mart and such...)

I know Shannon doesn't like Paradise (... because of scent??)
I know some people don't like Kryolan because of scent or difficulty applying (correct?)

I suppose I just want opinions from those who have tried several different brands as to which they seem to prefer, or some that they will not touch for whatever reason.

I'm trying to build a kit without buying a pre-made kit. I'm thinking so far of Wolfe white, black, and shimmer/metallic white. I'd love to play with DFX neons (or perhaps one of the other neons?)
Other than that, I have no idea which brands to look at. Stick with Snaz? Try Paradise? Bite the bullet and pay a bit more for DFX normal colors/metallics or Wolfe? I see the brand funky fox occasionally and wonder if they would be interesting to try??

I feel like I've joined and started bugging everyone with all my questions, but I'd really LOVE to order my paints and keep finding myself stalling and researching more because I want to make sure at least the bulk of what I buy will be things I use. (I don't want to spend this much and find that I made some very big mistakes on my color choices or that I hate a certain brand.)
I know it's all relative and based on personal opinion, but I would love any opinions you all have to give.

Thanks!
Manda
moonprints
moonprints

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-10-07

Back to top Go down

Favorite/Least Favorite brands and why? Empty Re: Favorite/Least Favorite brands and why?

Post by WyndyO Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:09 pm

Get a mini sampler of a few different brands to try. You will use them even after you get your REAL kit going for quick doodling in a park, convention, on the road trip, quick makeup before the gig when you don't want to drag out your entire kit.

I like most of the brands for one reason or another. Like many here, I have a disease..... I want it all.

I find Snaz to be a little tougher to get even coverage, but still there are a few colors of theirs that I love and will not be without esp. for bases! Love it for having less reactions and feeling a little safer with it for kids.

Paradise I found the easiest to use when I started because of the way it works into a creamy texture and kind of lets you know it's the right consistency. But due to it's thickness it does seem to run out or be used more quickly. I found it can sometimes not stay true and get chalky.

Kryolan has some great and irreplaceable colors and a slicker lighter feel when it works up. It does have a strong makeup-y theatre smell which some people don't love.

Ben Nye is cool for the powdery shimmer colors. Still experimenting with it. Supposedly holds up a little better in heat and humidity - I will be testing that here in hot swampy FL.

Wolfe/DFX are awesome for their color intensity and staying power and the parafin content give them that stiffer go over any other paint ability!!! They stand up and use a lot less water to activate. Best to use a damp/wet brush or sponge. You MUST GET WOLFE/DFX white at least. Your work will not be the same without it. The other brands whites just absorb into the paint below and you will never seem to get that crispness that you see in the pictures of the best artists.
WyndyO
WyndyO

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://www.wowfactorypaint.com

Back to top Go down

Favorite/Least Favorite brands and why? Empty Re: Favorite/Least Favorite brands and why?

Post by Guest Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:28 pm

I know Shannon doesn't like Paradise (... because of scent??)

AND... two people have reacted to it - raised red welts, and severe itching.
It uses up way too fast - you have to make it a paste to apply properly.
It has triggered my asthma ... and, yes, it stinks IMO. Very unpleasant smell.

I think all face paints should be UNSCENTED!!!!!!!!

I've got a PDF that lists my favourites http://www.shannonfennell.com/FavouriteColours.pdf

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:34 am

Different brands have problems with different colors, so there's no particular brand that I hate, but I refuse to use Wolf black due to how ridiculously hard it is to remove. It's a problem when painting on myself or my kids, but it's downright embarrassing when at an event and someone wants me to "fix" their smeared design and the black won't come off. Paradise black (or Diamond?) work just as well without staining the skin for days.

(There's my rant for the day. Embarassed )

I do love Wolf white though! It gets sort of gooey after being used for long periods, but I've learned how to deal with that.

For bases, I love love love Snazaroo. I've found nothing else that is as easy to use, lasts as long in the pot, and blends so smoothly and beautifully. Their colors are not as bright and flashy as some other brands, but they make up for it with lovely blending.

Diamond is my new best friend for their neon colors. Lovely looking and perfect for darker skin tones where the colors really pop.

And that's about what I have in my kit. Wolf white, Paradise black, Diamond neons, and Snazaroo everything-else. cheers
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down