Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

facing the line, or back to the public?

+11
a face painting mom
barbb919
Perry Noia
Noella
amylady222
debranewmanart
Luvs to paint
Criss
ginganinja
anniel
mamakatrien
15 posters

Go down

facing the line, or back to the public? Empty facing the line, or back to the public?

Post by mamakatrien Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:57 am

I usually set up at a table where I can see the people arriving, my back is to the wall, the table is to my left, and the kids chair is in front of me.

I've had a problem on two occasions when a mom pulls up a chair to wait with her kids, and has a toddler on her lap who cannot keep his hands out of the paints ( neither can mom) and ends up tossing an open tub in the sand. or smears the paint with his nails and fingers.

I could paint with my back to the people, but since a table has 4 edges, they will still be able to reach out and grab the paint.

How do you do this properly? Or has this not happened to you, or is there a way to prevent it?
Setting up a sign won't work, people do not read anything you have on display around here.

mamakatrien
mamakatrien

Number of posts : 486
Registration date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

facing the line, or back to the public? Empty Re: facing the line, or back to the public?

Post by anniel Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:32 am

Using my paint (gun) case gives me the "natural barrier"of the open, flat lid where I set up my brush stand in between us. I've been using it successfully for years and even forgot about this happening before...
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

facing the line, or back to the public? Empty Re: facing the line, or back to the public?

Post by ginganinja Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:53 am

At my last festival, I set up a la Denise Cold. I use my tables to create a little corner for myself, and my line manager has a chair or two for the next kids. Personally, I like having the kid face the back of the tent so I can face out and interact and see the people waiting in line. Plus, I get the benefit of the big reveal- no one really sees the face until its done, so the "how'd she do that!?" comes from everyone! I have a larger mirror and battery powered fan set up on the table as they exit so they can admire longer and let they fan set the paint- it gets super hot and equally humid here!

I did have a problem with one or two sets of exploring fingers, but for the most part parents will take care of it if you point it out. I'm tall, so I might upgrade to a folding bar height table, which hopefully will solve that problem as well- moving my paints out of sight and out of reach.

Now if only parents would park their empty SUV strollers outside the tent so people could get the shade I'd be happy.

ginganinja

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2012-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Criss Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:10 pm

Honestly, I tell them once, Don't touch my paints please! If that does'nt work, I use my spray bottle and spray them in the face like a cat or a dog? Cruel? Maybe, but I don't have time to waste for every kid that want's to touch my stuff when I've got a huge line up waiting Smile
Criss
Criss

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:33 pm

Use a big enough table so you can set-up your stuff making it hard to reach in, set-up the table against a wall, create barriers and "Line starts here" marker. And tell them to get out of your work space. You can you know.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luvs to paint Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:43 pm

no matter how hard I would try, some kid is going to sneeze or try to touch my paints, so now I leave the lids loosely on and remove the lid of the one I want to use (rainbows). my single colors are in a large kit with a clean hinged lid so I flip it closed after I fill my brush/sponge. My starblends I have the lids unscrewed but sitting loosely on top to protect them as well.

I'm so used to doing it this way, it's second nature and doesn't slow me down much. Keeps my paint CLEAN. keeps me happy, lol.
Luvs to paint
Luvs to paint

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by debranewmanart Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:50 pm

Lol Criss!

debranewmanart

Number of posts : 615
Registration date : 2011-06-26

https://www.facebook.com/debranewmanart

Back to top Go down

Post by mamakatrien Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:59 pm

This is really helpful, I have peen thinking about it all day, and I have now velcroed EVERYTHING in my kit, even the splitcakes.
I also like the spray bottle solution, I think I'll try telling them off - as I'm allowed to to so by Shannon (confidence boost right there) or else...I'LL SPRAY YOU!

I do like facing the crowd, it does make for a greater reveal.
mamakatrien
mamakatrien

Back to top Go down

Post by amylady222 Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:19 pm

I am new to facepainting and have thought of this a lot. I go back and forth--if there is a big line and I am facing the crowd I think I will get stressed out and worry about how many people are waiting---if I have my back to the crowd I am afraid that kids playing around in line will bump me and I will stab a kid (in the eye)---So in my LIMITED knowledge of facepainting I sit with my side to the crowd--I am right handing so my paints go on my right side (away from the crowd), that way I can see if there is anything dangerous (kids flying my way), but don't have to sit and face the crowd the whole time. So far it has worked.
My set up is tinty- so I don't have kids temped to touch the paints--so can't help you there-- You could always make a small sign with hands touching paints and a big X through it..
amylady222
amylady222

Number of posts : 1176
Registration date : 2012-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:05 pm

I use resin shelves as my table - and I have fabric tied to 3 sides of it - and that big fabric covered space is where I put my banner. I work out of the un-covered side (so I'm sitting beside it) - no one can touch anything (my chair is right up to it), and no one can knock over anything (it is tied off to my chair) and no one can see my stuff except me and the person in front of me.

I'm right handed and for some reason it works best for me to work with it on my left side.... Most everyone else I know prefers to work with their equip on their dominant side, but for some reason crossover works best for me....

I can't see the line (which de stresses me), I only can see the person in front of me and the next person waiting.... I don't even need to interact with someone looking at my banner (unless I don't have anyone in front of me).
Noella
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:37 pm

Here are a few pictures of my side of the tent when Glitterfly and I set up at festivals... my back is to the "audience" with the person being painted facing the people watching. It allows mom to take pictures while I'm painting but no one can get close to my paints except me. This is my new camp kitchen set up which I am loving for multiple day events because I can store things off of the ground and there is a zippered "cupboard" for hiding things in while I"m working.
facing the line, or back to the public? 5117930D-2D94-42FD-A87B-8A27520B5140-40128-0000500E5EB6D4C6
facing the line, or back to the public? D0CF2023-1F40-43FD-88C7-0530BBF77A5F-40128-0000500E6926A87E
facing the line, or back to the public? C37F55CD-72C4-45C1-8E1C-A1A777421675-40128-0000500E7A04C524
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by barbb919 Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:21 pm

great camp kitchen perry....
I always try to put my table against a wall so the kids can't touch anything , and i usually face the crowd so I can see whats going on in the line...in my tent i use 3 half walls..and set my table and paints toward the back wall..so the crowd is to the left of me the paints to the right..i can still see everything thing I need to..and if people want to watch they still can but the half walls keep them out of the tent..and I like it that way...I only let the kids getting painted in and their parents...everyone one else has to wait out side for their turn...
barbb919
barbb919

Number of posts : 2109
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://tappysfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:31 am

I have my kit to my right, on a plano rolling tool box, and I don't have this issue so much. I just tell them not to touch it if they try, because it is right next to me. My splits are all in a drawer that opens to the back, and I close it when I am done, but my jewlery trays our out in front. I don't like it when kids touch, but they don't do it all that often.

I get more irriatated when a parent pulls a chair up and plops down, disturbing the way I have my tent set up. Do you move chairs in a doctors office waiting room? Oiy, while they are at it, why not change my displays? I guess it just baffles me, it is so obviously deliberately set up the way I want it, or it seems that way to me anyway.
a face painting mom
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by skjfunny Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:47 am

It is your "shop", you rule...but with grace and comedy creating new friends for the business....that's the motto with our painters. In the US I would never spray a person with water to correct their actions. Many would consider it bullying and you are the adult. I don't have control problems probably because of experience and I'm always talking to my crowd so they are on my side. I find for many putting down a colorful jump rope and no one but the child being painted comes past it...unless it is a very small child with a parent works. Use comedy to handle situations rather than being annoyed and using what others would consider aggression if you want to build a large home based business.
Our world is full of aggressive people, simply rude people, people that have not been taught to not touch what doesn't belong to them. Often though what we run into is people who simply have NO understanding of our work and are fascinated. The biggest problem I see with face painters is they are so absorbed in their work they are NOT aware of what is going on around them or interacting with their crowd...yet they book themselves as "entertainment". Of course, this doesn't apply so much to artist doing print or model work. sunny
skjfunny
skjfunny

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2010-08-17

http://sunshinetheclown.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Tineke Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:10 am

I stand with my back to the waiting people, table to my right side.
If my table is against a wall, I make sure the people in line don't come to close to the table, by warning them to mind their feet, since I take a step back without looking...
If the table is not against a wall, and people can reach it from the other side, I just keep an eye on it... On the first offence I simply ask them not to touch anything, on the second offence I tap their fingers lightly with the back of my paintbrush I'm holding, tell them not to touch anything, and continue to paint the child in my chair...
They're usually so embarrased that I saw the second offence, that they don't touch anything again. Once in a while you get the really annoying ones, that start testing you... then it's simple: stop right now or you're not getting painted!
Tineke
Tineke

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-07-02

http://www.tinekesgrime.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:22 pm

I set up w/ my side to the public. This keeps my eyes always on the public, I'm able to talk to parents, make sure no one is messing w/ my signs, & the person in my chair is visible so people can see the art in action. I keep my kit backed up into a corner & behind me. I like this set-up because it keeps me physically active, turning & moving & helps me not get stiff. I used to set my kit right by my side & found I spent hours in 1 position (painful).
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by mamakatrien Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:36 pm

After reading up here, I've decided to try the sideways approcha next time - might work very well!
mamakatrien
mamakatrien

Back to top Go down

Post by amylady222 Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:21 pm

I know a lot of people stand, but does anyone use a stool that twists--so you can adjust the height and then just twist to get the paints behind you?
amylady222
amylady222

Number of posts : 1176
Registration date : 2012-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:26 am

I used to sit on a normal stool (it didn't twist). I found sitting encouraged me to lean forward for long periods of time & killed my back. I probably wouldn't be able to face paint anymore if I hadn't switched to the director's chair.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by ginganinja Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:42 am

Sitting is the worst position for your back. Standing allows your weight to be distibuted over a greater area, and its easier to maintain good posture. When sitting, the forces/weight going through your low back and discs are much greater than standing. Not to mention, it it more difficult to maintain proper lumbar posture while sitting. Especially if you then have to flex forward to reach a face while painting. I'm a Physical Therapist Assistant- the ones that come in with back and neck pain are the sitters

ginganinja

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2012-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Tineke Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:42 am

I used to sit as well, but my chiropractor made it clear I should stand, or put the kids in a adjustable chair... So being stubborn, I tried the chair for the kids first, and it just didn't work... After half a year I switched to a tall directors chair from EZ up, and my back is much better now!
Tineke
Tineke

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-07-02

http://www.tinekesgrime.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:11 pm

So dump the extra chairs.

And no spraying or tapping the customers....even if they touch your kit items. It can indeed come across to some as abusive. Enen when done jokingly.

I rarely, never have issues with rude people or stray hands. If a child can reach my paint and touches a cake - I joke and say oh my rule is if you touch my paint that's the color I paint your nose! Their eyebrows go up or the give me that little "uhuh" look. Everyone laughs.

Then I usually say (as everyone is now listening) no really the thing is I know where my hands have been but I don't know where yours have been. And you'll be happy when I paint you with clean paint. Keeping my things clean make us all happy. And then parents and kids agree.

Indeed. You should be constantly interacting with the crowd. I paint but my whole thing is I am the entertainer. I keep my line happy and entertained. I am fully aware of what is happening at my fingertips in my chair and several people back in line. This is being able to be fully aware is something you are born with or just learn to do. Back or front facing doesn't really matter, if you are fully aware.

I personally find all the rule signs some painters use as a big downer. What a turnoff to go be entertained with colorful face art only to have to stand in line and read negative signage.

I think the more professional you are, become, people just don't touch your stuff. Keep a tight ship. Most paints have too much stuff out. There is a balance to having enough products to look like a pro and having too much that you look like you don't have a clue what to use.
Sweet Loretta
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down