Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much do you practice painting (or did practice) as a newbie?

+7
JBax
Dynamike
Perry Noia
LoneWolf
Metina
Lady Jayde
aprilmoonflower
11 posters

Go down

How much do you practice painting (or did practice) as a newbie? Empty How much do you practice painting (or did practice) as a newbie?

Post by aprilmoonflower Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:13 pm

I have been trying to paint for at least an hour (or two if I'm lucky!) everyday. Some of my designs are pretty pathetic though. lol. How much do you (or did you) practice painting as a newbie? How many hours do you think it takes to become "good". I do have many artistic abilities but painting has never been my strong point! Maybe this is why I like face painting a it's a new challenge! Smile What is your best tip for improving?
aprilmoonflower
aprilmoonflower

Number of posts : 713
Registration date : 2009-08-28

Back to top Go down

How much do you practice painting (or did practice) as a newbie? Empty Re: How much do you practice painting (or did practice) as a newbie?

Post by Lady Jayde Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:19 pm

I try to put in at least an hour per day, but that doesn't mean a whole lot since it takes so long to accomplish a single face design. I was just thinking last night that I need to focus on mastering a design (as far as speed and execution go) before moving onto the next, that way I can at least be really good at SOMETHING instead of OKAY at a bunch of things.
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

How much do you practice painting (or did practice) as a newbie? Empty Re: How much do you practice painting (or did practice) as a newbie?

Post by Guest Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:33 pm

Um... well... ah... I kinda just did it. How much do you practice painting (or did practice) as a newbie? Icon_rolleyes

I sketch things that I want to paint, colour them... then used to have to wait until my brother would let me paint him to try them out (he is the bald guy in a lot of my photos.) Now I have to wait to schedule models or paint myself.

First time always turns out, second time is crap because I try to "tweak" too much. Takes about six mores times of painting it before I've got it down to the point I can do it right every time I'm asked to.

For competition I NEVER do the final design for practise. I will do test bits, parts of the design to time out the complicated parts, but never do the whole thing.

For theatre designs I do the sketches and a make-up chart, do a test make-up for approval, take photos of that, then, following the photo and the chart copy it exactly for a couple of nights, then I am usually okay to just paint it without refering to the pictures.

I learn as I go... I'll try new things on myself when I paint myself for a gig, then will use it on painting other people.

Number of hours? Well... I'm still learning and improving every time I paint so I really don't know how long it takes.

Like I said to get a new design down pat takes me about half a dozen times ... as for practising things like drops, swirls, blending... that is repetition... you get better at it the more you do it... hard to really say how long that takes.

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilmoonflower Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:47 pm

I guess I will just keep practicing! It is definitely getting easier as I go, that's for sure.

I think if I can learn to cut and color hair and paint freehand on fingernails I can do this too!
aprilmoonflower
aprilmoonflower

Number of posts : 713
Registration date : 2009-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:08 am

That's the beauty of this, after a couple of times, you have the design committed to memory and then you just work at perfecting it. What I need to do is figure out how to come up with my own designs.
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:32 am

Don't worry about coming up with your own right now. There are so many wonderful designs that you shouldn't feel this pressure. I have been painting for three years and only feel like I have one orginal and it isn't even that orginal.

I always felt like I couldn't be taken seriously if I didn't do my own stuff. This just isn't true.

As for practicing, I had my proface I would practice on. Then I discovered that I could practice the faces on my granite table. Not perfect, but I could sharpie on 10 sets of eyes and do it over and over until I felt like I had it. I tried to do one design a day until I felt really good about 20 or so.

-Metina
Metina
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:56 am

The best practice is on a job, because it forces you to paint fast, and that way you forget to think, and just let your vision and hand work together.

I don't (and have not) practised a lot of hours with full face or whole designs. It has more been like: argh! my blending (or whatever) is crappy, and then fills all available space I can reach on my body with that until I'm happy. It is easier than washing your arms a lot of times and gives you different curves and skin times to work on Wink
LoneWolf
LoneWolf

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2008-10-04

http://www.lone-wolf.dk

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:23 am

I don't practice full faces a lot either... jobs are good for that, but work on your line work on your arms, legs, whatever.... tear drops, tiger stripes, butterfly wings, cheek art designs.... and certainly, don't worry about original ideas right now, most kids want stuff they've seen elsewhere anyway... there's a reason our most popular designs are spiderman, butterflies and tigers after all.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Dynamike Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:16 pm

I purchased a "practice head" to practice full face painting. I just received it last month. I will have to put more time into practicing. One thing I learned is not to leave the paint on over night because it is hard to get off.
Dynamike
Dynamike

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2009-09-28

http://www.dynamikemagic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:15 am

I am still kinda new, as far as my opinion is concerned, and I usually only really practice when I want to try something new. Mine is a lack of time issue. In the beginning I practiced more basics, like sponging and blending, and getting decent consistency with line work. That's been a struggle. I still work on swoops and swirls.

I would agree about the not worrying about creativity at this point. I have found that in just a few jobs, I've been able to deviate from the menu some. Like with my eye art picture, butterfly, or whatever. I did the basic until I was comfortable, then ventured out. Can't wait to see what will happen with more time and experience.
JBax
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosenberg-Cox Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:18 pm

Like Shannon, I draw my ideas out (the new ideas), tweak a lot, then my kids and their friends come over for a face painting party. I have an assistant who helps me on certian jobs every year. She comes as well just so we can make sure we are offering the same thing. I keep my drawing pad and color pencils with me so when I am waiting for an appointment, etc I am drawing. And.... to refer back to Shannon, a few good ideas is all you need to start. A good butterfly (they can pick the colors), and good spidey mask, etc as well. Relax an enjoy.
Rosenberg-Cox
Rosenberg-Cox

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-08-27

http://www.facepainting.coxmanor.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Pickin Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:20 am

I actually didn't practice on my own a whole lot when I was a newbie.. I painted for tips every Saturday for a year and a half, and that was my practice! haha... It was great though, because I started out really crappy, but after all of that practice with seeing the same kids every week, and them requesting the same faces every week... I got really good at those faces!

I did practice for fun on myself in the middle of the night... mostly doing tear drops and swirls(probably why I'm better at those than anything else!)
Ashley Pickin
Ashley Pickin

Number of posts : 838
Registration date : 2009-06-27

http://www.picnpaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by paintedmermaid Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:34 pm

Hi Ashley,
Where did you paint for tips?Like a park or playground? I am going to use up all my paint just painting myself and my nieces, I need to re-coop to buy more paint Razz Not ready to charge for my work though...
paintedmermaid
paintedmermaid

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.partygirlfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Pickin Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:39 pm

at a fast food place Smile I had a meeting with the manager and I said that I wanted to work for tips and a free lunch. Worked out fine. Made about $35-$45 for sitting from 11-3... I wasn't working the whole time obviously... The crowd would ebb and flow so, at most I usually had maybe 4 kids in line. It was also the only time that I ever used a choices book, and it'll probably be the last.

Overall, it was a good experience!
Ashley Pickin
Ashley Pickin

Number of posts : 838
Registration date : 2009-06-27

http://www.picnpaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyO Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:27 pm

When I started out I painted at a teen dance every friday for 3 hours for one year. I then went to a local resturant and painted there on Saturdays for a year even before I went into business. I wanted to be sure that what I was offering was good enough to charge $100.00 for. I also did a lot of volunteer face painting. This might sound like overkill but for me that was the amount of time I needed to feel confident with want I was doing. It also took a long time for my hand to do what I wanted to do.
KathyO
KathyO

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down