Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Neon Split Cake

+4
cattsy
eva
Denise Cold
MelindaT0813
8 posters

Go down

Neon Split Cake Empty Neon Split Cake

Post by MelindaT0813 Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:42 am

So I ate up through my neon split cakes and it was time to make more.
After much research here is what I did.

Without the math standpoint, I *love* the Kryolan dayglow, that is their neon line. Best coverage with a sponge and the brightest. To compare I have Wolfe neons as well and they are nice but the dayglows looks nicer lol. I have never had tag, but i would expect them to be similar to Wolfe/DFX but cheaper lol.

MOVING RIGHT ALONG. Be ready to be hit by a math wall Razz

If you were to buy a TAG 50g split cake it comes out to 13.99 or .279 a gram
A tag Neon is 8.75 a color which is .273 a gram
That surprised me because, when it comes to neons, if you are planning to make a large split cake than you are not saving any money by making it yourself . Keep in mind I am talking about LARGE 50g split cakes, not the little 30g ones.

Wolfe and DFX are both more expensive at around $15 a cake and .46 a gram. Pallets make it less expensive but not worth my time.

Finally I got to my precious day glows...
If you buy them individually it is $14 for (they say) 1.4 oz which is around 40 grams so .35 and gram. However, I bought the dayglows and they are in the *exact* same container. Not any smaller or shallower. In fact, when I was filling the pots I use to hold my paint, it took the same proportion of paint to fill the container as the regular colors. I am sure the ones I purchased were 70g of paint and think that the sillyfarm mislabeled.
So, Kryolan is $14 for 70g which is .20 a gram
If purchased without discounts a homemade neon split cake would run you $10
However, I am all about the discounts. hehehe
Sillyfarm has the option to buy a kryolan pallet for $140. You can fill the pallet with neons or metallics and the price does not change plus you get a spiffy black case.
So $140/12 comes down to $11.66 a cake and therefor .16 a gram. A 50g (large) homemade neon split cake would run you $8
It get better though, if you call in your order or subscribe to their emails they often have a %10 off code going around.
$140 - %10 is $126 for 12 kryolan neons and a black case. $126/12 makes is $10.50 a cake and therefor .15 cents a gram. A 50g neon split cake is $7.50

A 12 pack of Kryolan cut up will yield around 16 50g split cakes. lol
Here is what I did for my pallet... 12 colors, 6 of them neon, the other various interference that i had been wanting to get (spankin deal because individually they are $18 each but in pallet form they are $11.66 without the 10% off). I then filled my solid color pot which took about 35g (half of the cake) and was left with the other half of every color to makes split cakes.
I now have 4 new neon 50g split cakes as well as the whole colors Smile
I shall include swatches shortly

Last edited by MelindaT0813 on Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
MelindaT0813
MelindaT0813

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2011-03-16

http://www.mindyentertainment.com

Back to top Go down

Neon Split Cake Empty Re: Neon Split Cake

Post by MelindaT0813 Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:03 am

So here are my swatches, I wish i had taken a better picture

The first on the left is the Kryo neon cake

Colors from top to bottom
Neon Red, Neon Purple, Neon Blue, Neon Green, Neon Yellow, Neon Orange and Neon Pink.

You can't really see the pink in this picture... It is on the bottom side of the swatch and the curve of my arm hides it. IT is a GORGEOUS pink, seriously, really pretty and bright.

The second swatch is the regular neon from Wolfe/DFX
MelindaT0813
MelindaT0813

Back to top Go down

Post by MelindaT0813 Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:04 am

Neon Split Cake 26515010

Forgot to include the picture... duh
MelindaT0813
MelindaT0813

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:59 pm

Those are really cool. Really pretty and bright. I think it's a big advantage to be able to choose your colors.

I might have to look into this because I signed up for a regular gig on Thursday and I might need multiples during the summer.

Thanks for sharing.

D.
Denise Cold
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eva Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:24 am

Very bright and pretty. I think the Tag is slightly brighter than the wolfe
eva
eva

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2008-12-13

http://www.cincinnatifacepainters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cattsy Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:25 am

The Kryolan neons blacklight reactive too? the "day glow" throws me off. they are lovely!

I just ordered the DFX neon/mettalix pallette but I think next time I'll be going the route you went girly :p thanks for that fab breakdown!!
cattsy
cattsy

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by cattsy Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:26 am

Oh one last question about Kryolan... is it a creamy paint like Paradise? or is it stiffer like wolfe/dfx??
cattsy
cattsy

Back to top Go down

Post by MelindaT0813 Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:52 am

I have found the kryolan glows more under a black-light than wolfe/DFX

You know, I am having a hard time putting to words what that type of paint is like. I suppose it is like wolfe/dfx but it takes much more water to activate it. But once it is activated it goes on very nicely. I don't recommend using it with a brush, by far the best coverage you are going to get is with a sponge. That is why i use it in my large split cakes, I don't really use a brush with those.
I have one 1inch rainbow kryolan split cake and it is a pain in the rumpus to get it loaded and i feel like i have to reload much more often than similar ones in paradise and wolfe/dfx that i have.
MelindaT0813
MelindaT0813

Back to top Go down

Post by MelindaT0813 Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:56 am

btw, DFX/Wolfe are the same paint and therefor the same brightness.
It is just a crummy picture.
I think I am going to have to swatch again and go outside to take a better pic.
My first issues was that I was in a dark place and not dressed decent enough to go outside (lol) and second I used too much water on the DFX/Wolfe one

MelindaT0813
MelindaT0813

Back to top Go down

Post by MelindaT0813 Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:01 am

Also, i got rid of that infernal light blue in the DFX/Wolfe neon split cake.
You know, it is really pretty but it is the #1 culprit of the "muddied up" look. The fact is, it is not a neon color and therefor activates differently. Because it takes less work to get going more often than not I am unhappy with it "eating" my purple next to it and dulling it out.

I think they don't use their neon blue because it is so dark and doesn't look that great.

MelindaT0813
MelindaT0813

Back to top Go down

Post by SuzySparkles Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:00 pm

Here is my way... Love that Kryolan red though... it is in my working kit. I use the TAG neons for split cakes. I do love the Kryolan but it is so creamy that it goes a lot faster. (In my opinion) Anyhow, for $43.75 I made a bunch of split cakes from my tag neons, I skip the purple just because I don't like purple in any neon cake...

Here is a pic...
Neon Split Cake Untitl10
SuzySparkles
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by cattsy Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:30 am

Does anyone sell Kryolan neon splits or is the only way to get one to buy the whole caboodle and make one? Love the breakdown but do NOT have $140 to drop on paints right now :p I would however happily shell out $15 or so if someone wanted to make me one Very Happy

Been wanting a neon cake and have been wanting to try Kryolan so would be a good way to kill two birds with one stone.
cattsy
cattsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Stacia Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:11 pm

So I got the Wolfe Neon Rainbow Cake....side question, that frickin blue STAINED my arm BAAAAAD, and I only had it on for about 30 seconds...does anyone else have that problem? I do have dry-ish skin, and I stain pretty easily, but this one REALLY stained.
Stacia
Stacia

Number of posts : 750
Registration date : 2010-07-13

https://www.facebook.com/BoiseFacePainting

Back to top Go down

Post by MelindaT0813 Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:43 pm

That infernal blue Stacia!! it stains and it muddies. I dislike it immensely Smile
Again, very unfortunate because the color is so pretty.

Cattsy, maybe we can work something out, do you have anything you want to trade for it instead?
MelindaT0813
MelindaT0813

Back to top Go down

Post by cattsy Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:47 pm

I wish I had something to trade Melinda LOL.... I'm only just slowly starting to build my kit :p I'm still working mostly out of my two little paradise palettes haha!

But if you're wanting to sell one... send me a message I'd love to try one. Like I said a neon rainbow was on my list for my next purchase, and I have been wanting to try the Kryolan paints, so it would be a good 2 for 1 :p

Trina
cattsy
cattsy

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:29 pm

Wolfe Neon and DFX neon are not the same they are made with different colors/hues
ChangingFaceDesigns
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:34 pm

Just needing to invest in some Neon and REALLY appreciate your math & penny-saving tips!! Thanks!
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down