Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Memorial Day Weekend - 5/2011 - just stuff

+3
JENDZS
Skidzz
kat
7 posters

Go down

Memorial Day Weekend - 5/2011 - just stuff Empty Memorial Day Weekend - 5/2011 - just stuff

Post by kat Mon May 30, 2011 12:38 am

What a weekend!

Friday & Saturday evenings were spent at the Youth Rodeo in Sevierville. It has just started this year, very small, but, hopefully, it will grow in time. I'm hoping that it will give me "connections" to other events there... we'll see.

Saturday morning/day 10-5 was spent at a local park, painting faces for a Memorial Day event. Wow! What fun!

I was so tired Saturday night that I don't believe that I rolled over....

Several things:

1. Kids crack me up!
2. Painting kids is like painting a moving target! ("Please do not try to put your foot behind your head while I'm painting your face. I KNOW that it is an incredible feat (punny, huh.. *L*), but - you're going to lose your turn if you don't sit still!" actual conversation...

3. I ended up making $57.00 an hour after all expenses/donations/gas/etc (and a HUGE bowl of Gumbo - hey, what can I say, my booth was NEXT door... man, I ate lunch at 11:00am!!! *L*) were paid. I'm proud of myself...

4. Some parents shouldn't be.... parents.
(editing myself out of a long-winded post)

5. I LOVE glitter tattoos! Not that I have anything but the glue and some glitter that I bought from Metina.. laughing .. I made m own dragonfly on the inside of my arm. Thus far it's lasted FOUR beautiful, glittering days! Mark did make several comments about it. He suggested (oh-so-sweetly) that I should admire my tattoo less and watch the road more.

6. After sitting through the first night of the Rodeo (he has been kind of....... less than enthusiastic, shall we say..... about this face painting venture - he thought it would go the way of many of my "hobbies") he has warmed up to the idea of the glitter tattoos, and is going to fund the purchase of the supplies for me!

7. Today we went to Bass Pro. I draped myself across the handle of the cart and followed him and our son mindlessly through various sections of the store until I realized how MANY children there are that visit the store! churning gears.....
***** I am going to get my "stuff" together and offer them the opportunity of a lifetime! *heh*
They have several kids activities throughout the year... why not hire a face painter/tattoo glitter-er to make every event spectacular???!!!

ahem.... forgive me my daydreams

I am going to approach them about it.

I went back to being the cart decoration as we tooled around the store, perking up at the tackle area.... sadly, no containers worth bragging about.

I asked if we had time to look at the little roll-up top camp tables to use for my future tattoo glitter-ing needs. We did, I did.
Once there, we found what we were searching for... he put his hand on top and said that it was none too stable. Well... it was okay.... and I could make do, I said.
THEN, as if in a dream, this little grey haired lady stepped to the left and we saw the golden egg.... er.... table!!!
I think one or more forum face painters have this table.... http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Basic-Camp-Kitchen/product/10207192/-1686475

Mark asked if that would work, and all that I could do was to nod! "It_would_DO in a pinch", I told him. He told me to stop being sarcastic. I told him that if he knew how hard I worked at not being facecious and sarcastic most times that he would reward me for all my hard work!!
Obviously, we differ greatly in the "sense of humor" department.

7a. While at Bass Pro (and tired of hanging across the handle of the buggy) I decided to try out the foldable camp chairs. I have some at home, but, haven't sat in them this year... I've got some serious lower back issues, and had to have both my Achilles tendons severed (and re-attached with screws after the bone removal) several years ago due to a hereditary bone issue. Either makes it difficult to rise and lower myself in certain instances.
I don't usually mind growing older.. but, geeze, I wish my body would stop falling apart on me!!! *L*

ANYWAY....

So... there I was, relaxing.... now draped across a chair... about 10 minutes later, I decided to go look for the guys... well.... WELL.... I couldn't GET OUT OF THE CHAIR!!!
It hurt too darn much!!!!
I sat there for a minute... swearing beneath my breath - I do believe that one lady heard me... she gave me a very hard stare as she passed by... I glared back... thinking, how would she feel if she were stuck in a chair and couldn't get out!!!
I tried calling Mark on his cell - no answer.. Men and their toys... I sat there thinking that he was probably immersed in depth finders or some sort of bait tackle....
so - deciding I was going to be there for a while, I called my mother and chatted.
After that - I called my aunt.
Much later - I SERIOUSLY considered calling 9-1-1.

I started laughing at my predicament, and a lady stopped, asking if I was okay. I told her that I was stuck, but, that hopefully, my husband and son would soon be along. Luckily, Mark came along as I was explaining why I couldn't get out of my chair.
He got the look of course, for not having his phone in hand at all times, and ... also as a threat not to laugh at me... because, I would eventually get out of that thing...
(I think I may put a homing device in the heel of his shoe so that I will know where he is at all times)

8. If I'm going to have to sit close to a cotton candy vendor, why couldn't it be one that makes chocolate flavored cotton candy?
twitch

9. I'm going to have to stop here... I can't remember the questions that I wanted to ask.... it's midnight...

oh... 10. if you've got any spare luck, positive thoughts, please send a few my way. I'm going to arm myself with business cards 'n such and visit a few businesses tomorrow!

Have a wonderful night/day, everyone.

Last edited by kat on Mon May 30, 2011 12:50 am; edited 2 times in total
kat
kat

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://www.katsfacesandmore.com

Back to top Go down

Memorial Day Weekend - 5/2011 - just stuff Empty Re: Memorial Day Weekend - 5/2011 - just stuff

Post by kat Mon May 30, 2011 12:45 am

I have to add this... then I'm going to bed!! *LOL*

One grandmother at the rodeo refused to let her granddaughter be painted by me.

The girl was on her horse, explaining to her grandmother that I was using REAL paint. uhm... what?

Her grandmother *finally* came over and said that her granddaughter had been painted with acrylics last year and had a horrible reaction to it.
I explained carefully about that, and the difference in the paints that I used.
She then allowed the g-daughter to be painted. I saw them the next evening and she complimented me.... *whew*

kat
kat

Back to top Go down

Memorial Day Weekend - 5/2011 - just stuff Empty Re: Memorial Day Weekend - 5/2011 - just stuff

Post by Skidzz Mon May 30, 2011 3:51 am

Awesome!!! I am glad you had such a great couple days!!! I wish you blessings and prosperity!! And I am glad you made the granddaughter and grandmother so happy!!!
Skidzz
Skidzz

Number of posts : 499
Registration date : 2010-07-10

http://www.facepaintingcolorado.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JENDZS Mon May 30, 2011 6:04 am

Kat - thanks for all the *grins* so early in the morning. I was smiling as I was picturing you chatting away in the chair, waiting for the hubby to show back up! Smile I can relate to the being unable to get up...not fun, but sometimes all you can do is laugh!! So glad to hear that you had a good couple of days and that you were able to educate that grandmother about REAL facepainting!

Keep up the good (hard) work and have a blessed Memorial Day!
JENDZS
JENDZS

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2010-11-15

http://www.facepaintingbyjen.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gr8ful Mon May 30, 2011 8:01 am

Kat, you need to add "Writer" to your resume. Your post cracked me up! It is entertaining, well written, and not at all confusing. I would buy your book if it was about your adventures as a Facepainter. After all, the trip to the fishing store qualifies because you still looked at items perfect for facepainting. ROFL!
Gr8ful
Gr8ful

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2011-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold Mon May 30, 2011 12:03 pm

I love the table you linked. I was planning on standing at the fair I'm signed up for and wasn't looking forward to bending down to get paints off the table. Nice find! We actually have a Cabella's here so I'll see if they have something like that.

Thanks!

Denise
Denise Cold
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Mon May 30, 2011 1:54 pm

Thank you Skidzz and JENDZS!

The morning hasn't gone as planned.. I've had to move the business part of my day to tomorrow... farm woes early morning. ugh!

Tomorrow I shall go forth and advertise!!!!! *g*

*L*
Thanks, Gr8ful!
I swear that there are times when I wish that I had a video of my life... you just can't make some of this stuff up!

Denise, you're welcome!
I hope that you can find it!

I sit, due to the foot/back issues that I have... I have one of those folding tables ... the 5' that folds in half, and now this one... I think I'm almost set!

Having done craft fairs for years, I have an assortment of nice hard plastic tables... 6' and 8'... but, with these tables, I can haul them in the Explorer.... everything's tucked neatly out of rain/wind/harms way!
I did haul everything in our truck.

I told Mark last night that I wish they could invent the face painters tent similar to a tent I saw in a movie once. It was a slap-stick comedy... made in the 50's, I think...

You opened the trunk of your car, and pressed a button and the tent unfolded and set up by itself.... fully decorated with all the latest gadgets !

He quirked his brow at me and told me not to hold my breath. It's so hard to get him to crack a smile.... *snit*

I told him that he was not the best straight man I'd ever had.

I got the "brow quirk" again.

Men!
kat
kat

Back to top Go down

Post by helena Mon May 30, 2011 3:39 pm

Very funny! Congratulations on finding the table, now, if it would only transport itself all would be set Smile
helena
helena

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2011-04-13

http://fancythatfacepainting.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Mon May 30, 2011 8:31 pm

So true, helena!

I do panic a bit when I have to set up myself.... I have to beg for help... I can't get the tent set up... it's those dratted corners...

I think in some twisted way Mark's happy about the face painting versus the other crafting I've done in the past.

He doesn't get roped into helping nearly as much these days!

I wonder if I could teach him how to do glitter tattoo's... *heh*

kat
kat

Back to top Go down

Memorial Day Weekend - 5/2011 - just stuff Empty Bought a camp kitchen

Post by Denise Cold Tue May 31, 2011 2:05 am

I bought this camp kitchen from Cabela's. I was skinnier than I thought but it weighs less than the large camp kitchen. I love the zippered pouches to hide all the stuff like purses, extra water, etc. and there's a place for garbage.

My daughter will do glitter tattoos from one of the low tables and I'll work from the high table with a high director's chair or the ikea folding bar chair. I'm excited, I think this will be a good solution for us.

Now for a tent. Smile

Memorial Day Weekend - 5/2011 - just stuff S7_518975_999_01?rgn=0,0,1984,2000&scl=5

Memorial Day Weekend - 5/2011 - just stuff Franklin-bar-stool-with-backrest-foldable-silver-color-birch-veneer__17887_PE102344_S4
Denise Cold
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gr8ful Tue May 31, 2011 8:24 am

Cabela's is a store that I should never go anywhere near! LOL. I would be bankrupt in under 20 minutes. Gotta say I love that table!
Gr8ful
Gr8ful

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Tue May 31, 2011 8:30 am

affraid
That's soooo awesome! I don't need it! I don't need it! I don....
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Gr8ful Tue May 31, 2011 8:34 am

Laughing Psalmbook!
Gr8ful
Gr8ful

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down