Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Male Face Painters???

+15
DeannaB
Evelyn
AngieAnders
Daizy
barbb919
Mr Daizy
freedspirit
tamarielpaints
leapinglizards
Psalmbook
Tra
anramire2
CrazyPainter
Noella
ken styles
19 posters

Go down

Male Face Painters??? Empty Male Face Painters???

Post by ken styles Tue May 10, 2011 12:13 pm

Hi All,
I was wondering if there were any male face painters?
I am a man and was interested in getting into this art but it seems to be dominated by females.
Nothing is wrong with that but I was wondering if it's like a feminine art, hobby?
Just by the pink, flowery look of this forum itself, tells me I should try and pick up maybe airbrushing motorcycles or cars or something...lol
I just don't want to get a gig and then the parents are all freaked out that I'm big, bald, (black) man coming in to paint butterflies on kids faces..etc. like: "who is this freak???" call the cops!
(there is a humorous side to me though).

Anyway, just wanted to see if there are, in face male artists?
Thanks,
Ken king

ken styles

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-05-09

Back to top Go down

Male Face Painters??? Empty Re: Male Face Painters???

Post by Noella Tue May 10, 2011 12:23 pm

Any? yes - quite a few - many well known artists are male. Majority are female, maybe 90-95%.

http://www.snazaroo.us/faqmale.htm - this was written by Gary Cole (Snazaroo USA).
Noella
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPainter Tue May 10, 2011 12:37 pm

Yes there are a few of us males out there Smile

The "birthday party" business seems to be largely dominated by the girls, whether it be clowns, facepainters or what have you.

I've never had any experience of people "not wanting" a guy, but I do think that when it comes down to it, most moms just tend to relate to the girls more, and will likely call them first. I mean, most people the kids come into contact with, be it daycare workers, early grade-school teachers, even babysitters, are usually female. Its just the way it is. (I used to rail against the unfairness of it all...then one day I realized I was really really busy with gigs.)

There's lots of opportunities for the male painter. You just have to get yourself out there and let people see what you can do. (And make sure you're really, really good with kids....that's actually more important than painting talent.)

And also remember that birthday parties are not your only option.

If it makes you feel better, in my neck of the woods, the most recent big face painting lectures/events have been the Wolf Brothers, Mark Reid and Sean Avram. That says something there too.

CrazyPainter

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2011-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by anramire2 Tue May 10, 2011 12:56 pm

I don't really know the statistics, but I did want to welcome you to the forum!
Very Happy so Welcome!
I know there are a few extremely talented male face/body artists. (Wolfe Bros. Pashuer and Mark Reid). I believe there are also a few here at the forum.
anramire2
anramire2

Number of posts : 853
Registration date : 2009-08-13

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/My-LoVe-for-ART/2104600

Back to top Go down

Post by ken styles Tue May 10, 2011 1:31 pm

Thanks for the fast replies!
It makes sense. and yes I am pretty good with kids I have a 2 year old and 7 year old. But I should really let them be the judge of that.

ken styles

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Tra Tue May 10, 2011 2:13 pm

me personally would get a kick out a big bald black guy painting flowers and butterflies... who says its got to be only women that do it???....grab some paints ...make a board...get out there and paint!!!....if youve got the talent or the heart GO FOR IT....and welcome to our world its a very colorful place alien
Tra
Tra

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2011-04-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Tue May 10, 2011 2:31 pm

Check out marvelousmasks on youtube. Clayton does quite well as a male face painter & does a lot of the party style painting.

I've seen most the others mentioned, but I think the difference between the men & women is us gals are a little more chatty & so you see more of us out there Very Happy
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by leapinglizards Tue May 10, 2011 5:43 pm

I am a guy and there are several others on here. I come from the background of having been a magician and makeup artist. Lots of male makeup artists, and magicians are probably 80% guys... I also have done readings- tarot and Palm- for decades and that is a VERY female dominated field.. so I am familiar with the gender bias thing from both sides. Honestly, if ANYTHING I think it helps more than hursts as if anyone cares, it is probably makes you more novel.

Personally, who cares- Unless yer trying to be a nun... I think the gender thing is rather less relevant than personality, drive, skill and talent.

leapinglizards

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2009-10-31

http://www.livecanvasart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tamarielpaints Tue May 10, 2011 8:15 pm

So I was at a carnival l a few years back and someone made it so that the two facepainting booths were side by side. We both had long lines. We both had happy kids. We both had nonstop work, but I'd never been side by side. After the afternoon ended, I asked the head honcho for the reasoning of sticking two pros who are in essence competing 'side-by-side'.

His answer? Because I am female and the other facepainter was a guy. The 'higher ups' at the carnival decided that the boys would go to the guy and the girls would line up by me.

Thankfully, the kids had more brain cells than they were giving credit for, and they looked at our boards and then planned their 'battle stations' based on which face they wanted (I have never have kids know EXACTLY what they wanted like that before that event, or in events since).

So, long story short, there is some gender bias, but it's primarily among the adults. The kids honestly couldn't care less.
tamarielpaints
tamarielpaints

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2010-12-07

http://www.tamarielpaints.com

Back to top Go down

Post by freedspirit Tue May 10, 2011 9:01 pm

I love it when males get out there and work with children.. It is really important and kids love males teachers and role models..So go for it Ken...Just have fun and all the rest will just fall into place..
Welcome to the forum and I cant wait to see your stuff!!
freedspirit
freedspirit

Number of posts : 884
Registration date : 2011-03-03

http://www.facecreationz.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Daizy Tue May 10, 2011 9:34 pm

Yo! *Grunt*! I'm a man and proud of it! I think there is pleanty of room for male facepainters. Look at the wolfe bros. I think it's just that men seem to paint what they know just like women do. Someone has to take the interest in super heroes,zombies,dragons,monsters,medieval,war,cars,planes,bikes and any other boyish stuff you can think of. I think it's high time male face painters took the stand and defeminised face painting a little. For every little girl out there is probably a little boy who want's something bad @$$ painted on his face and doesn't want a girl to paint it.
I'm not saying that girls can't. Theres pleanty of evidence to suggest otherwise but people will naturally excell in areas where they feel experienced.
Totally know that awkward feeling though. Have been painting at netball games with my wife and girls are reluctant to let you paint pretty stuff until they see that you can actually do it well.
Stick with it I say. Paint butterflies and be a man doing it. Mums will be all the more impressed for it and Dads will take interest.
Nice to see another Dude on here.

Last edited by Mr Daizy on Tue May 10, 2011 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : apparently 'bad mule' is not an acceptable term. oops.)
Mr Daizy
Mr Daizy

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2011-05-01

http://www.daizydesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by barbb919 Tue May 10, 2011 11:33 pm

hey grunt I think it doesn't matter if your male or female..if this is what you like to do then do it..the kids will enjoy it no matter what...I love doing the monsters dragons and zombies as oppose to doing all the girly stuff...the boy designs i find more challenging and i just love a good challenge.
I also raised 2 boys on my own and we always did halloween really big..that is what drew me to face painting a few years ago...

rock on
barbb919
barbb919

Number of posts : 2109
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://tappysfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Daizy Tue May 10, 2011 11:40 pm

Ha! Mr Daizy, I love your edit comments!
Daizy
Daizy

Number of posts : 860
Registration date : 2010-09-02

http://www.daizydesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Wed May 11, 2011 1:02 am

I wonder if this occupation really is dominated by females, or if we just gab on-line a whole lot more. LOL.

Well okay, it truly is dominated by females, but there are LOTS of males doing it and doing it really WELL, as mentioned. I don't really think being male would harm your business at all, and actually may help you stand out in a crowd if you have a lot of other competition in your area. People will definitely remember you, and being memorable is KEY in this line of work.

Welcome to the forum!!
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Wed May 11, 2011 1:05 am

You know, I'd even bet that the average public would view a male face painter as more of a "professional", while they tend to see females as more "hobby painters"... a stigma that we constantly battle with. You've got some advantages here, just have to find them and use them! Smile
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Back to top Go down

Post by Evelyn Fri May 13, 2011 4:09 pm

Hello and welcome. Don't be concerned about gender issues.Just learn to paint both types of faces.

I am just starting out myself and am sure it will take a while regardless of gender.

I worked at Walt Disney world a few years ago,and worked side by side with males and to be honest, sometimes they just did better dinosaur-dragon-monster types of faces, but hey, learned to do them too!

Just take joy in it and it will come through your face to the kids.

Blessings to you

Evelyn Very Happy

Evelyn

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DeannaB Fri May 13, 2011 8:30 pm

AngieAnders wrote:You know, I'd even bet that the average public would view a male face painter as more of a "professional", while they tend to see females as more "hobby painters"... a stigma that we constantly battle with. You've got some advantages here, just have to find them and use them! Smile

It is sad but I was just thinking this and then I read your comments.... Yes - sad but true... Bet they can even charge more then us women. Razz
DeannaB
DeannaB

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2011-03-03

http://www.darlingdesigns-fp.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekophile Sat May 14, 2011 12:27 pm

My partner in crime is a man and it is sometimes frustrating because when someone wants to talk buisness they almost always gravitate to him. 9 out of ten times he will book the corprate client over me. In reality it's not even a huge deal because if it's a big job guess who will be working right along side him? But it does have me wondering how much of this trend stems from gender roles.
Geekophile
Geekophile

Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://sophiessmileyfaces.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Sat May 14, 2011 9:30 pm

Yes, it's funny... I work a large festival with another female painter, and we have a male photographer who shares our booth and does post-painting portraits. People are constantly assuming that we work for him. They try to give him their money for face painting, talk to him about business opportunities and ask him questions. I find it humorous, but I don't mind too much since our tips are usually higher because people assume he's keeping most of what we make. Razz
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Back to top Go down

Post by lazydave55 Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:01 pm

I see that this thread is at least six years old so there may not be much activity on it now. I'll throw my two cents worth out there anyway.

I am a man who has been painting for almost 20 years. My wife answers the calls that come in and one literally asked if I was a pedophile, which my wife assured the caller that I am not.

Every event I have worked alongside a lady, two lines form. One long line for her and one empty line for me. Once the kids try me out, the lines even out, but there is always trepidation at first. There are still some little girls who want the lady to paint them, not the big, goofy man.

lazydave55

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:06 am

do you paint something on yourself, so they can see a live example? that might get things going.

but as the others mentioned, there are many male face painters, both local and well known.

i, too, think it's good to have women and men represented in all occupations.

Last edited by jlirie on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by skquinn Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:18 am

lazydave55 wrote:I see that this thread is at least six years old so there may not be much activity on it now. I'll throw my two cents worth out there anyway.

I am a man who has been painting for almost 20 years. My wife answers the calls that come in and one literally asked if I was a pedophile, which my wife assured the caller that I am not.

Wow. It would be nice to know how often this happens; I'd like to hope that's exceedingly rare, and I don't even get the point in asking the question (who is honestly going to answer "yes" to that?).

lazydave55 wrote:Every event I have worked alongside a lady, two lines form. One long line for her and one empty line for me. Once the kids try me out, the lines even out, but there is always trepidation at first. There are still some little girls who want the lady to paint them, not the big, goofy man.

Should I realistically expect the same if I ever work an event alongside a female artist?

skquinn

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2013-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum