Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What to charge for private lessons?

+3
KathyO
wmeventservices
rcvaughan
7 posters

Go down

What to charge for private lessons? Empty What to charge for private lessons?

Post by rcvaughan Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:29 pm

Hi all! I was approached today by a lady asking what I would charge for facepainting lessons. I told her I had no idea what to charge because noone had ever expressed any interest. Can someone give me an idea of what you charge for private lessons, and how long a typical first lesson should be? She lives an hour away from me, but is willing to travel. I'm by no means an expert. I think I'm still between beginner and intermediate, but I'd be happy to share what little I do know. Any feedback would be helpful!

Happy Painting!

Tudi
rcvaughan
rcvaughan

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2010-05-25

http://www.happyfacesbytudi.webs.com

Back to top Go down

What to charge for private lessons? Empty Re: What to charge for private lessons?

Post by wmeventservices Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:46 pm

I've never considered pricing for lessons before either, but I would say, don't underestimate the knowledge that you have. Essentially, you will be teaching her how to open and run a business that will give her residual income. Lessons like that in any form are extremely valuable. Research what the pro's charge and go below to whatever point makes you comfortable. But if you have started and are running your business, you already have some of the most valuable knowledge. Everything else is just practice.
wmeventservices
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

What to charge for private lessons? Empty Re: What to charge for private lessons?

Post by rcvaughan Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:56 am

Thanks! That's excellent advice!
rcvaughan
rcvaughan

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2010-05-25

http://www.happyfacesbytudi.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyO Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:46 am

I only teach those that are over 2 hours away. If they want a one on one lesson which can last for 7 hours I price it to what I would have earned if I did parties that day. Which for me is $600.00. Remember you won't be able to do any gigs that day
KathyO
KathyO

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:41 pm

I like the idea of having her sign both a non-compete agreement AND charging her what you would make at a gig. That way, she understands the reality of the hourly pay AND you don't shoot yourself in the foot by giving up gig and creating competition.
TheGildedCat
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:31 pm

First off Kathy is a highly talented experienced artist and teacher and could fill a class easy and make her $600 plus. For a painter not yet fully intermediate or advanced to consider even $300 for a private class means your more than likely not going to be teaching.

As for a non-comp clause I'm not sure how that relates to teaching. I understand it's use in hiring. I mean we all compete with each other. No matter where you live. And once you offer to teach what you teach it should be given freely. Or don't teach what you don't want to share.

The very top artists do 6 hr classes at $150 to $175. Prices were higher but everyone has dropped due to the influx of painters. Some very top talents teach 3 hr classes at $60-75 per class. These are the top advanced artists rates.
Sweet Loretta
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:57 pm

Artists who instruct for a living can much more easily give classes because they give basically the same already-prepared class over and over. It is hard to compete with what they are able to charge for classes. (Which is great for those of us who benefit from said classes! Smile )

The hardest part of teaching a workshop is not the travel, filling the class or even teaching the class. It's PREP TIME. You will spend literally hours and hours choosing designs to teach, making lists of techniques to share, deciding how to handle supplies for the students, making take-home sheets or providing for-sale paints and brushes to participants. The list goes on and on. Do not under-estimate how much effort goes into teaching a workshop, especially for the first time. The workshop itself may be 3 hours, or 6, or 8... but you will spend 40 hours prepping for it. That is, if you are making it up from scratch, using unique designs and giving useful tips, and planning to do a good job with it all. Smile

Just a reality check for anyone thinking about teaching, or wondering why some charge more for workshops. I don't normally offer workshops at all because the amount of money that makes it worth it for me sounds like a LOT of money for those who would be paying it. LOL.

I've taught locally only twice, and those were theatre workshops where I was paid to come up with and teach actors how to paint specific designs on themselves and one another. I don't think I would teach a general face painting class in my own area.
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:42 am

Angie is 100% correct. Teaching is a lot of prep work - handouts, forms, class plans, release forms, etc.

When I've taught locally I have always been hired by an organization for a set hourly rate, PLUS, a per head charge which covered the cost of a starter kit for each student and all the provided handouts. The classes are generally one-day workshops, beginner level. I don't teach anything more advanced in my own area.

I have to order the supplies (mini kits, brushes, sponges, books - mine of course! LOL) prepare and print enough copies of the handouts, get the sign in sheets, release forms, etc ready, then pack it up, transport it, set-up the room, and I provide wipes and other supplies for use in class.

And I don't teach one-to-one... There is no way to charge enough to compesate for creating a competitor, not in my limited market. I don't mind teaching beginner painting to groups, but, the rest of it is up to them to learn. One-on-one it is more of a command performance - if someone hires you to teach only them you are sort of obligated to show them what THEY want.

Several of the students in the beginners workshops I've taught HAVE continued on to paint professionally and that's fine. I don't mind competition, I just don't want to personally teach them everything I know... IYKWIM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparklyone Sun May 15, 2011 1:45 pm

Did you know Sillyfarm offers a teaching kit of some sort for group classes? It's on their website, they offer incentives to encourage your students to order products from them. The website has more info and a form to fill out that of course I had to look at. I visited Sillyfarm a few weeks ago and Heather was kind enough to give me a few hours of her time without asking for compensation. I've been a very good customer there for the 3 months I've been painting and assembling my stash, but honestly that is just the kind of person she is. Incredibly sweet, generous and happy to share the love. I couldn't have been more impressed by the whole staff. Pam Trent was wonderful,too and even painted my kids as a lesson for me to watch. sunny

I realize you are talking about something different than a business owner helping a customer Wink but consider the possibility that she could become a great friend and perhaps even business partner or someone to help form a local fp support and practice group. santa I plan to get good enough to teach kids classes and start a local fp group as soon as I can. Smile

Sparklyone

Number of posts : 474
Registration date : 2011-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta Mon May 30, 2011 5:14 pm

Most shops will offer instructors deal to teach - just ask.
Sweet Loretta
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down