Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Details/Rules/Prize

+14
AngieAnders
IamGinaW
chicneek
JBM
JBax
Mehndi Masala
Ruth
Geekophile
Psalmbook
Fabtastic
Anita's Faces
wmeventservices
pjhamel
Metina
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Details/Rules/Prize Empty Details/Rules/Prize

Post by Metina Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:54 am

A request has been made for this challenge I and thought it was a great idea.

Details: This challenge is for cheek, half-face, full face, eye designs, belly paints or body paint utilizing feathers and/or birds.

Ends Midnight March 25, 2011 Pacific Time.

Prizes is winner's choice of Five(5) of the Mark Reid GlitterMark Glitter Gels from Paradise!

***Each Video entry will receive a FREE SHIPPING code to the Forum Shop! Please PM me once you have submitted for code. All videos still need to submit a final photo.***

Rule1: Must show step by step of the design making sure to list products and tools used. All pictures or slides MUST be viewable in your post. Please do not include links to the photos. Please kindly show ATLEAST 3 photos.

Using a slideshow is recommended, but not a requirement. If you use the slide show, YOU MUST post a seperate photo of the final product also. Please do not include the music.

One way to do a slide show is through Imageloop.com

Rule 2: Please do not enter a design that is participating in another contest ANYWHERE ON THE INTERNET or enter your entry into another contest ANYWHERE ON THE INTERNET until this one is complete. Doing so will disqualify you.

Please ask questions under this thread.

UPDATE: To simplify things please list accordingly with your entry:

1. Tools:
2. Paints:
3. Step 1:, Step 2:, Step 3:, ect.....

Metina
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Details/Rules/Prize Empty Re: Details/Rules/Prize

Post by pjhamel Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:35 am

Ooh, I have been working on a feather mask design, so I will definitely have to enter it. Let's see if I can figure out my dad's new video camera.
pjhamel
pjhamel

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2010-01-23

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Naples-FL/Naples-Face-Art/15236981

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:29 am

YEY, YEY, YEY, YEY, YEY!!!!! This is going to be fun!!!
wmeventservices
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita's Faces Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:33 pm

Hi Metina,
I would like to ask of the next challenge may only be half-face, full face and eye designs?
I like all those beautifull bodypaintings, but they are (IMO) useless for most of us (the facepainters)
I like to see some new designs that are useful for birthday party's and facepainting jobs.
I hope more people agree with me.

Last edited by anita on Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anita's Faces
Anita's Faces

Number of posts : 1044
Registration date : 2010-02-13

http://www.anitasfaces.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:09 pm

Anita,

I understand your point, but here is something to consider. We have an entire forum that we dedicate mainly to just faces. There are tons of great ideas. Competitions are not built for showcasing everyday work. A competition is built to showcase what most artists love to do, but don't get to do on the job. That is kinda the point. Is for an artist to have an opportunity to truly showcase their skills. This is something they cannot do on 3-5 minute faces used on the job. I see the competitions on here growing into a place for creative genius. I don't think this is something that should be stifled. The snaz site doesn't allow true body painting, you have to wear a bra which in many cases takes away from the design. And that only leaves the West Coast. It's nice for artists to have more than one placea place to share body art that is online that they don't have to spend thousands of dollars to go compete at a convention.
wmeventservices
wmeventservices

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita's Faces Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:54 pm

IMO There can be a challenge especially for body painting or bellypainting.
Like there was before!
Now a bodypaint usually wins instead of a face paint.
I also think that other people should have the opportunity to try to win a challenge.
It's not about me (i won a view challenges) but for other (just started) face painters.
I regularly see beautiful face designs but they don't win if there is also a body paint design in the challenge.
I'm afraid that for some people their interest to join a challenge disappears.
I hope you understand my opinion.
Anita's Faces
Anita's Faces

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabtastic Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:39 pm

Frankly, I am never sure how to vote; what criteria I should be considering for these competitions. Quality of linework, skilful blending, good colour choices, originality, is it on theme, is it a design I might want to try to recreate, does it speak to me...these are all things that I base my voting on. But, the design I vote for is never the winner so I guess I must be way off base. So take my opinion on these contests with a grain of salt, I'm just going to throw in my two bits.

I see that Snazaroo has split their King & Queen contest into 3 parts: body, face and cheek art. When you go to look at the entries, you understand why. It's apples and oranges.

My personal preference would be to see some months where the contest is strictly for face/cheek/small (cheek-sized) arm or leg art, and other months where it is strictly for body or belly, and the occasional one where it is open to all body parts. It would make voting easier, and would indeed encourage people to enter into ones which appeal to them if they know their "apple" entry will not be judged in comparison to an "orange".

But, that's just my opinion.
Fabtastic
Fabtastic

Number of posts : 639
Registration date : 2010-07-10

http://www.fabtastic.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:24 pm

How about we split the challenge down the middle with 2 voting categories; Face & body? Metina could offer less items as the prize to each. Just a thought & we get the best of both worlds.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:12 pm

I think splitting the competition is fine, but either way, competition is competition. It should never be the work you do on a job. Where else can you really showcase your skills other than competition? It doesn't matter if it's a face or body paint, it should be some of your best work. The kind of work you can't do in three to five minutes. New people always have an opportunity to win whether they paint a face or a body. It's not about what is painted, it's about how well it is painted. Quality of blending, line work, originality, is it within theme should all be factors in voting for a competition piece. West Coast had bodies in their last competition and I still voted for a face. In our field, I believe originality should be a huge factor. Almost everybody has their tiger and butterfly down. And you guys all know the designs that everyone does.

I'm actually very happy this topic has come up as I've always thought we should all be on the same page. Maybe Metina could decide guidelines of what to look for when voting so we could all be on the same page and vote accordingly.

I guess my big hang up has been the confusion between competition and on the job work. There is a reason that conventions give you an hour or two for competition work. It's so you can showcase you skills. This should not deter any newbie from participating. It should encourage them to participate and learn from each competition. I've been competing here since my first 6 months of painting and it was then that I actually placed in a competition. When I first started out.

I understand the concern that everyone has, I just hope that we are able to come to an understanding that doesn't take away from the real spirit of competition. it's seeing other artists showcase their skills is what encourages me to try new things and be better. I hope that doesn't get taken away.
wmeventservices
wmeventservices

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekophile Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:29 pm

I have to agree with apples and oranges. Body painting is a beautiful art, but it is a much different canvas than a face. On a body there is no limit on space, no obsticles or orafices to incorporate, the design doesn't change with a smile. You have to admit, there is a lot more freedom in body painting. Of course, in a competition you should put your best work out there, but I can't see how even the most extraordinarily painted face can compete with the wow-factor available to a full body.
Geekophile
Geekophile

Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://sophiessmileyfaces.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruth Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:04 pm

Geekophile wrote:I have to agree with apples and oranges. Body painting is a beautiful art, but it is a much different canvas than a face. On a body there is no limit on space, no obsticles or orafices to incorporate, the design doesn't change with a smile. You have to admit, there is a lot more freedom in body painting. Of course, in a competition you should put your best work out there, but I can't see how even the most extraordinarily painted face can compete with the wow-factor available to a full body.

I so agree with you, and to me it is apples and oranges.
Ruth
Ruth

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2010-11-07

http://www.wix.com/delightfulcreations/byruth

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita's Faces Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:07 am

Geekophile wrote:I have to agree with apples and oranges. Body painting is a beautiful art, but it is a much different canvas than a face. On a body there is no limit on space, no obsticles or orafices to incorporate, the design doesn't change with a smile. You have to admit, there is a lot more freedom in body painting. Of course, in a competition you should put your best work out there, but I can't see how even the most extraordinarily painted face can compete with the wow-factor available to a full body.

NOW THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I MEAN! Thanks!!!!
For me it is sometimes difficult to explain what I mean (in English)
Anita's Faces
Anita's Faces

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:31 am

I think for me this is a 'firmly on the fence' issue. The idea of the competition is to truly strain to do your best. I had to bend over back wards to get a model in and then I sweated every detail. And I also agree that this one is not about 'can I do that at a bar-mitzvah', because it's more about 'art' than reproduction. BUT you should still be inspired by elements that you can use in the everyday.

The face to me is more complex but with the added element of eyes, can actually be more striking than body. So....on the fence!!

I'm thinking if a majorty agree, setting up either two competitions with smaller prize or flip flopping (one month- just face, next month-anything goes) would work. I personally vote for flip flop as Metina wears many hats and two contests at the same time is alot of work and alot to ask of her.

My two cents....ya get what you pay for!! Very Happy tongue
Mehndi Masala
Mehndi Masala

Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2010-12-04

http://www.winnipeghenna.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:52 am

While my first thought is yes, my second is no. Part of this process is for painters to learn to pull from others work and incorporate it into their own. I feel like there are so few body painters compaired to face painters that if we seperated it, only a few would go to one and the rest of us wouldn't really benefit from the body paint cause it isn't something we really consider doing.

I feel like we have only had one or two comps with much body painting and it has truley stretched all our imagination. I think we might be a little miffed because of the person winning the roses comp was a body paint. BUT.....she put an immense amount of time, pics and has even provided me with an extra step by step for the newsletter on just the roses. If you look through her photo slides she also did and arm and face version of design. And even if we all just judged the face version of her entry, it was just breathtaking. Crisp lines, bright colors, ect.

Plus I really don't want to start offering tiny prizes cause they are broken up. I like to be able to offer big ones to encourage many folks and to encourage them to work really hard. I don't need to see another spiderman, I need to see stuff someone spend a good bit of time on to push me forward.

But I do hear what you are all saying. Let's put together a list of criteria to make all of the entries better and to establish an even playing field. And for future competitions I will not always include body painting, and some will only be body painting.

What are some things besides just the full design we can judge on. Just a starting point.

1. Number of photos and detail put into describing how to create the design.
2. Orginality
3. Crispness and clarity of the photos

Please add to this.....
Metina
Metina
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:07 am

4. Quality of blending and linework
5. Is it within theme?
wmeventservices
wmeventservices

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita's Faces Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:23 am

It has nothing to do with the results of the rose challenge.
I really LOOOOVE the bodypaint, it certainly had a huge wow factor!!!
(congratulations to you Mehndi Masala!! Great work!!)

But the difference between the face obstacles and a flat skin is my point.
I want to see new creations with own style and effects.
I don't want to see the "everyday" designs, orginality is a must!
Of course everyone must do the best he can and it don't need to be a fast design. But it must be clear for others to use (elements) in their own designs.
So in any case at least four pictures plus the final picture.

Anita's Faces
Anita's Faces

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:16 pm

6. creativity/originality
7. incorporation of body/face features
8. did the competitor teach how to do something (vs showing a design)
JBax
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:40 pm

I think #8 is great. I really started this whole competition thing to help everyone learn so teaches vs. just showed it a plus in my book.

Anita, sorry I hope I didn't offend. I just think there is a lot of challenges to body painting too and so much we can learn from it.

-Metina
Metina
Metina
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JBM Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:24 pm

Last comp was my first as a noob and I loved how amazing the face and body art was and after seeing the body art I am inspired to work towards incorporating this in to my business in the future. Rather than being deterred or intimidated I am inspired. I would hate to see too many limits set on the comps. There are so many threads here with links to new and amazing faces that are doable on the job. The Roses comp was a standout winner but there will be comps I'm sure where it is hard to compare and at the end of the day art is subjective.
JBM
JBM

Number of posts : 629
Registration date : 2010-10-18

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Henna-by-Riana/149537191765171?ref

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita's Faces Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:10 am

Metina wrote:I think #8 is great. I really started this whole competition thing to help everyone learn so teaches vs. just showed it a plus in my book.

Anita, sorry I hope I didn't offend. I just think there is a lot of challenges to body painting too and so much we can learn from it.

-Metina

I just like to see a special challenge for body and face painting.
One month bodypainting the other month facepainting.
I also learn of the bodypaintings! I am not against it!
Anita's Faces
Anita's Faces

Back to top Go down

Post by chicneek Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:07 am

What I offer in my entries is a look from a different angle, I want to create something new but I want to use it to be useable in my work and I hope others will get a kick out of it. My work is festivals and parties. I don't ever have more than a few minutes per person and although I think the more complex designs are fantastic what helps me with my work are the clever and innovative designs that inspire me on the 5 minute canvas with the nose, eyes and mouth.
I don't think how a person votes should be dictated because we have different needs as artists and although I don't put as much detail into my entries I and my customers call me an artist.
I am very impressed with the work that takes hours but this isn't a competition in a hall with a 5 hour limit and hundreds of dollars in prizes in that venue my energy would shift. I still want to see this work but it isn't where I will put my own energy. Everyone has the right to see it as they want. It is the beauty of art. I don't want to mark on a scale, I want to say wow! I never thought of that before! I am very proud of the work I have produced for the contests on this website. None of my designs have taken very long but they are mine, they are unique and when they are chosen by my customers that is my prize.
chicneek
chicneek

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2009-07-24

http://danicafaceart.homestead.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by IamGinaW Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:01 pm

Metina wrote:***Each Video entry will receive a FREE SHIPPING code to the Forum Shop! Please PM me once you have submitted for code. All videos still need to submit a final photo.***

This means an actual video like youtube not a slide show, correct?
IamGinaW
IamGinaW

Number of posts : 1626
Registration date : 2010-09-15

http://facesbygina.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:45 pm

chicneek wrote:
I don't think how a person votes should be dictated because we have different needs as artists and although I don't put as much detail into my entries I and my customers call me an artist.

I don't think the point is to dictate to folks how to vote... that's not possible anyway. But, having things to think about when making a decision is helpful, especially when you really, really like a few entries.

And I think it's completely okay that everyone approaches their entries (and judging) from differing viewpoints. I bodypaint way more than I facepaint, but I prefer to enter face painting entries. I have a few reasons, but it comes down to my preference. Sure, you're an artist... even if you prefer to submit an idea with less detail.
JBax
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:40 am

I hope I end up having time to jump in on this one. I have an idea of what I'd like to do....sooooo pridictable, but I'd still like to do it! LOL
Mehndi Masala
Mehndi Masala

Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2010-12-04

http://www.winnipeghenna.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:15 pm

As someone who rarely enters these contests due to lack of time, I thought I'd present a neutral view. I agree that there are many challenges present with a gorgeous facial design that are not an issue when painting a back, per say. The back opens up amazing possibilities for wonderful art but yes, I agree that often it's apples and oranges because a facial design needs to look pleasing in design and technique in a small space, as well as compliment the eyes, nose and mouth - three huge challenges in the middle of the canvas. People will always vote by their own standards and that's fine - I love having that freedom to pick the piece that moves me - but it would be cool to have body painting one week and a face challenge or belly contest the next. But it all boils down to what Metina wants, since it is she who puts her time, effort and prizes out there to make this the awesomest competition on the internet. Very Happy

Kim's winner from last month blew me away, it was so beautiful and unique, AND she did the face and arms as well as the back, so yeah... she's a total overachiever. Laughing

AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next