Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tiger: what do you think?

+4
pixieface
ChangingFaceDesigns
AngieAnders
Paintergirl
8 posters

Go down

tiger: what do you think? Empty tiger: what do you think?

Post by Paintergirl Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:46 pm

Hello, I’m pretty new to this, and just tried my second tiger. It's not great, but i think it's okay. What do you think? critics? http://www.facepaintforum.com/gallery/Personal-album-of-Paintergirl/154345-1475999542524-1309798609-31083234-4728866-n-pic_4424.htm
Paintergirl
Paintergirl

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-09-27

Back to top Go down

tiger: what do you think? Empty Re: tiger: what do you think?

Post by AngieAnders Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:24 pm

Hi Paintergirl, thank you for sharing your tiger with us! It's a good second attempt. You have your lines complimenting your focal point, your linework is for the most part thin-thick-thin which is good. I think your sponge or paint may have been a little too wet when you laid down the base? Try really "conditioning" the cake with your sponge to work up a good consistency and see if it goes on smoother for you. (Wipe the sponge across the paint several times, then test on your arm to see if it's thick enough.) Same with the black for linework - make a well of liquid inside your cake of black, and really mix it good for a nice dark creamy stroke with your brush.

A face is a large canvas, so you may need more stripes or spots to fill in bare areas where not much is going on. You can try making some of your stripes longer, or just add a few more in strategic places.

Keep it up, you're doing great! Very Happy
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:18 pm

I know it's easy to want to just jump all in and try different designs, but until you have really put in the time getting a handle on using your brushes, sponges, laying down proper bases, layering on color without bleeding thru, line work line work line work is key, it'll be difficult to acheive the results you wish to have. Get to know your brushes and what they are capable of doing.

The better your basics....ultimately the better your design

Last edited by ChangingFaceDesigns on Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChangingFaceDesigns
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pixieface Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:32 pm

Great dip on the nose - you made it a tiger and not a puppy! And I like the big center swoop on the forehead. I think it would pass any child's inspection and make them happy - it looks like tiger :-)

My only suggestion other than the comments above and to add to a little more dots for interest is to make a smooth lined muzzle - then add the jiggly bits after.
pixieface
pixieface

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2010-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:47 pm

I feel like it needs a lot more white.... I can't see any at all really. It's important for that contrast. Now, I will grant that my first tigers had too much white and I've pulled back a bit, but it is important. Working on your sponging seems to be something to aim towards right now as your lines aren't all that bad for a beginner.

You will probably want to fill in with more lines (I'm not really big on dots for a tiger... real tigers don't have dots), but I feel your lines are pretty good for a beginner (far better than my first tigers as I look back at them and shudder).

Everyone's tiger is a little different... sometimes VERY different, but keep at it until you find one that YOU like.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Paintergirl Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:36 am

thank you every one for the advice. I really do appreciate it. I'll try your advice, but I don't think I'll have time between now and christmas. Soooo busy right now Smile
Paintergirl
Paintergirl

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:43 am

I think that design would be wonderful on a smaller face, but when you put the same design on a larger face, you need to make the lines longer. Filling in with more lines and dots will make it work for an older child/adult.

Also bringing the lines closer to the center of the face might just make it work beautifully Smile Great job!
CottonKandyClown
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:26 am

First I want to say for a beginning tiger it's very good. How I get the best base(not too watery) is to spray my sponge with water & then swish it around in the cake. Pat or press the paint onto the skin, not swipe. If you do swipe, go back over it with a pat to even out the color.
What really makers a tiger is that blending our of white to orange from the center & a bold white muzzle. Look at google images of real tigers & study the small details. This is a design that will evolve with you till you find the one that you like & works best for you(and then it will evolve again & again.... Very Happy ). Enjoy the journey!!!
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by pixieface Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:47 am

Psalmbook - look at your new avatar - I didn't even recognize you!
pixieface
pixieface

Back to top Go down

Post by Paintergirl Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:08 pm

okay, so I tried to use all the advice, and i think it turned out better. The white could still be a little darker and the camera made it look a little lighter then it really is. I don't really like the chin lines, so i think i will leave them off next time. What do you think? tiger: what do you think? Img_0710 tiger: what do you think? Img_0711
Paintergirl
Paintergirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:28 pm

MUCH BETTER!!! Wow!!

I would leave out the lines under the eyes... they look like bags/sleepy eyes. Instead, lengthen your stripes on the cheeks and angle them sharply towards the point in the middle of the eyes. Yes, I'd probably leave out he vertical lines under the mouth, they just don't seem to help the design much.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:04 pm

Wow! That's really good! Love the nose! This design looks much better on the model. It fits her face much better. Some designs just don't work on everyone face shapes. Good job! Smile

I like stripes in threes so the inner stripes are off(in my head). If you just took the outer cheek strips and brought them in, that would be perfect. You can fill in the outer with oval stripes or dots.
CottonKandyClown
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by pixieface Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:05 pm

Excellent! You reallyAgree with everything Perry said - and don't forget to outline those wicked fangs albino
pixieface
pixieface

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:42 am

Great job!! I love that you tried again and posted your new results. You're going to advance really fast with such a great attitude! I'd agree with leaving out the lines under the eyes and on the chin. I actually never paint below the lips on a tiger. I just like the look better if the chin isn't included. Your base looks great and your linework and stripes are crisp and well placed. Very Happy
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Paintergirl Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:15 am

I actually took these before I added the other stripes. Thank you for all the complements and advice Very Happytiger: what do you think? Img_0610
Paintergirl
Paintergirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:43 am

Lovin' the new & improved tiger! I like it better before you added the extra lines under the eyes & on the chin. I try not to paint below the mouth. It just gets messed up when the child eats & drinks.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:23 pm

Isn't it great to see a difference after following just a few tips. I am also in agreement about leaving off the extra lines under the eye and chin. Very Happy
ChangingFaceDesigns
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by IamGinaW Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:08 pm

Great tiger! You might think about outlining the fangs in black. As they are, you don't really see them.
IamGinaW
IamGinaW

Number of posts : 1626
Registration date : 2010-09-15

http://facesbygina.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down