Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Photo editing program and Managing Your Photos

+7
helena
Captain-Savvy
jhbodyart
kyfaceandbodyart
Perry Noia
Metzpah
WyndyO
11 posters

Go down

Photo editing program and Managing Your Photos Empty Photo editing program and Managing Your Photos

Post by WyndyO Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:49 pm

Anyone know of an awesome photo editing software??? Cheap or free would be awesome.

Right now I use Irfanview but it is kind of slow and clunky. With the 2megapixel and up photos we are taking - you have to edit and resave to upload anywhere... what are all of you doing that works for you????

I have TONS of photos I need to upload from my family snapshots, to my daughter's December wedding, to the FPBAC convention and more!!! Who has a program they love, recommend, and is cheap, fast and easy to use. Some of these photos need to go on here, facebook, and my webpages... help and assistance appreciated.

Also, what are your favorite sites for keeping your photo albums - or do you just save on your hard drive or CD's or a backup drive?

Thanks for your input!
WyndyO
WyndyO

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://www.wowfactorypaint.com

Back to top Go down

Photo editing program and Managing Your Photos Empty Re: Photo editing program and Managing Your Photos

Post by Metzpah Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:46 am

I kind of like IrfanView along with the program that came installed on my computer, Paint Shop Photo Album 5. Those 2 combined do most of the basics I need. I really like just viewing images with IrfanView but also to resize (dpi and actual print sizes) which can be done in large batches too. I use the Paint shop to do manipulations like crop and adjust things like softness, contrast, brightness and such. I have a flickr and a photobucket account, flicker is what my yahoo photo storage turned into when yahoo stopped supporting their own. photobucket is good for hosting if you want to post pictures other places (like on forums) flickr seems to be a better place to show case and find other peoples images as it seems to have a large user base and friendlier search engine and layout. I would bet there is better ways and sites, but these are just what I fell into and am okay with using.

Kathy
Metzpah
Metzpah

Number of posts : 1105
Registration date : 2008-09-26

http://www.flickr.com/photos/metzpah/sets/72157608680393072/

Back to top Go down

Photo editing program and Managing Your Photos Empty Re: Photo editing program and Managing Your Photos

Post by Perry Noia Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:26 am

google the word "Gimp" .... it's an opensource version of Photoshop.... it does almost everything that photoshop does once you get used to using it. The user interface isn't quite as user friendly as photoshop, but it is a good program. Whenever possible, save a copy and work on that, don't save over your original, just in case.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by kyfaceandbodyart Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:53 am

I use snapfish. They run really good sales and they are really quick when you order prints.
kyfaceandbodyart
kyfaceandbodyart

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by jhbodyart Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:29 pm

I'm with Perry, Gimp is terrific once you get the hang of it. It's got lots of tutorials and most of all it's free. If your going to pay, Adobe photoshop is the most user friendly tool out there.
jhbodyart
jhbodyart

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-03-31

http://www.magicbymonty.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:28 am

I've got PhotoShop CS3... and it is not user friendly but I finally managed to take a class on using it and love it. But it isn't easy but the results are great.

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain-Savvy Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:31 pm

I use Photoshop Elements 5.0, but I had to pay for it... I adore it, though Razz Its what I use for all my digital art. Laughing

My boyfriend swears by GIMP though, so I would suggest that too Very Happy
Captain-Savvy
Captain-Savvy

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2009-03-10

http://captain-savvy.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by helena Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:13 pm

Picnik is a great photo editing program - it's free! Smile
helena
helena

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2011-04-13

http://fancythatfacepainting.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by EricaH Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:03 pm

I use Picasa (free Google product) for sorting, cropping and uploading all of my pictures. It also links to Picnik once you upload for additional edits though most of my edits are just cropping, straightening, fixing basic lighting and Picasa does that fine. I actually have the current version of Adobe Photoshop and a use it a LOT for my day gig but Picasa is where I go for pictures. I have over 100,000 pictures in it. All edits are also done in a separate file and do not affect the original and can be removed at anytime inside Picasa. To save any crops, changes, etc. you can export if you want to use them somewhere else besides an online Picasa album.

One of the things I like best is that with my Google account I have 1GB free storage and when I post a public web album (with a click), it automatically notifies my followers (family). Also, they can easily download the entire album with one click online without paying anyone anything and have the highest resolution I posted getting their own prints wherever/however they want. Most sites make me download files individually... grr or try to sell me something. Oh and no one needs an account created to view the pics (I think shutterfly makes you have an account).

It also links to most of the places you think of ordering pics (shutterfly, walmart, walgreens, etc.) and can submit directly to them with your saved account info. It has each of the company's upload tools built in somehow.

Ok... I'm done now. I'm just a HUGE fan and have demo'd for years the joys of Picasa and how there's no excuse for misplacing your digital data. (Oh and did I mention the facial recognition?! I have over 200 people being automatically identified in my computer {my son 6000 times and he's 2...} ok going now).
EricaH
EricaH

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2011-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Manabanana Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:05 pm

I just got GIMP (free and what Perry was talking about)

LOVE IT. cheers and perfect price
Manabanana
Manabanana

Number of posts : 1208
Registration date : 2011-07-01

http://www.manaartonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekophile Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:04 pm

I use GIMP and it is great but... because it only saves in RGB color model. That means I can't send my banners off to GotPrint. Boo.
Geekophile
Geekophile

Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://sophiessmileyfaces.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Manabanana Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:59 pm

I reopened my saved files from GIMP into Paint. (old school) and converted the files to a good ole' JPEG. I uploaded my picture on Vista Print (addicted.... Smile ) here is my new banner. My hubby did it and he is so proud. Definitely different, not sure how I like it, but he loves it and is involved...so I will take it!
Photo editing program and Managing Your Photos Exampl12
Manabanana
Manabanana

Number of posts : 1208
Registration date : 2011-07-01

http://www.manaartonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by photomomma6 Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:00 pm

Being a professional photographer, I'd say Gimp is the closest to photoshop without being photoshop. So if you're not familiar with photoshop, you'll never know the difference. I have CS5, but I do have a version of Photoshop 5 (early version) if you'd like to buy it from me, msg me and I'll give you a price. It'll be cheap.
photomomma6
photomomma6

Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2009-08-31

http://www.facelation.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down