Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do I need a permit to paint?

+4
Mirandas
CreateFaces
SuzySparkles
Amanda
8 posters

Go down

Do I need a permit to paint? Empty Do I need a permit to paint?

Post by Amanda Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:00 pm

Hi there... so I thought that I would need a vendors license to be able to paint in public and charge for it, but I called the state tax department today to make sure and they told me that I don't need one because I don't have to charge tax on face painting. So that's cool... but do I need some other kind of official permit to paint in a public place? Say like a park where there are lots of things going on, or a parking lot where people tailgate? I haven't been able to find any real information online yet, or figured out who to call to ask. Maybe someone here has figured it out? Smile
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-07-10

http://www.elaborateeyes.com

Back to top Go down

Do I need a permit to paint? Empty Re: Do I need a permit to paint?

Post by SuzySparkles Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:03 pm

well... stadiums usually require permission from their organization to sell on their property. That is about all I know from getting kicked out of the stadium parking lot...lol
SuzySparkles
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:09 pm

hmmm... so should I contact the owner of the parking lot? It's not technically part of the stadium, but it's the main lot people go to. I'll look into it... how about city parks? Anyone know which department to contact for that?
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-07-10

http://www.elaborateeyes.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CreateFaces Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:29 pm

Amanda wrote:So that's cool... but do I need some other kind of official permit to paint in a public place? Say like a park where there are lots of things going on, or a parking lot where people tailgate? I haven't been able to find any real information online yet, or figured out who to call to ask. Maybe someone here has figured it out? Smile
In Massachusetts there are laws that change from city to city. My suggestion is that you call the town/city hall of the city where you want to do this and ask. Many cities issue something like a busker's permit or license, some only issue them during public events and some don't allow that type of business on the street at all.
You could find yourself all set up only to have the cops show up and tell you to shut it down.
CreateFaces
CreateFaces

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2009-09-15

http://www.create-a-face.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirandas Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:46 pm

Check your city's web site and look under park and recreations or license's and permits. You'll be able to find a phone number you can call. Don't risk your business or put yourself under unwated circunstances..Good Luck! Very Happy
Mirandas
Mirandas

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by FaceMyPaint Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:05 pm

Thank you for this information! I've filed for my business license, and plan to set up at our local baseball fields. There are always tons of kids up there, and many have nothing exciting to do as their brothers play baseball. I think I'm just going to do tips, but have a $5 pinned to my "tips" button, and seed a tip jar with $5s and $10s. I just want to get outside and paint in this beautiful weather! Smile

Also, I got some new splits and brushes, and want to play!

Happy Friday,
Amy Bee
FaceMyPaint
FaceMyPaint

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2011-05-17

http://www.FaceMyPaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:38 am

you definitely want to get permission from the property... while it is a "public" park, it doesn't mean that anyone can just set up and sell something (even for tips) without permission. Parking lots would be private property and you would need permission from the person that owns the lot whether it be a stadium or private business.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Becky521 Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:00 am

If it's a little league, maybe contact the little league and offer a small percentage 10%?) of your tips as a donation to their organization? A sign on your tip jar stating "a portion of the proceeds benefit XYZ" might help you sell to the parents who want to benefit their league - not to mention the good PR and you could put "proud supporter of XYZ" on your website! I need to get on the ball and do this with my local little league since the field is walking distance just at the end of my street!

Last edited by Becky521 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrected spelling!)
Becky521
Becky521

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2012-03-07

Http://fantasticfacesbybecky.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FaceMyPaint Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:23 pm

Becky, that's a great idea! I spent many hours at the park watching my boys play, and my daughter was just a little sweetie, bored out of her mind. How much more fun it would have been to get her face painted - something just for her while her brothers played! Smile

Thanks for your advice. I appreciate everyone!
Amy Bee
FaceMyPaint
FaceMyPaint

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2011-05-17

http://www.FaceMyPaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by beckibut7 Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:28 pm

Great question. Thanks for asking.
beckibut7
beckibut7

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2012-03-11

https://www.facebook.com/FaceAndBodyPaintByBecki

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down