Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mirror mirror in the facepaint kit

+5
Noella
squiggle
jnjkoz
Perry Noia
LoneWolf
9 posters

Go down

Mirror mirror in the facepaint kit Empty Mirror mirror in the facepaint kit

Post by LoneWolf Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:07 am

What do you use for mirrors? I always end up scratching my plastic mirrors or breaking my real ones.

The small ones are more portable and require no setup, while large ones are heavier, break more easy and takes time setting up, but gives the child the best view of their designs.

Do you use one small for showing at they have finished and then send them to a big one?

Cute frame, no frame, another frame?
LoneWolf
LoneWolf

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2008-10-04

http://www.lone-wolf.dk

Back to top Go down

Mirror mirror in the facepaint kit Empty Re: Mirror mirror in the facepaint kit

Post by Perry Noia Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:01 am

I have two, but usually only use one (unless it's a big event). It's from the dollar store, it is blue with a little crown design in the top of the frame. It's not a huge mirror, but it's big enough for kids to see their whole face in it.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by jnjkoz Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:49 am

GREAT TOPIC! I have found personally, that if the mirror is left on the table the children AND the parents tend to reach for it unless you tuck it under a BRICK! especially if you are doing the sibling next, because they want to look again and again. I would like to find an unbreakable large mirror to hang in my tent somewhere, my DH does the airbrush tattoos so we really need one.

Right now, I am using a 4x6 foldaway mirror that I can tuck safely into my apron pocket, otherwise they just take it whenever they want and for some reason when people reach into my stuff I get aggravated agitated Twisted Evil Twisted Evil.... Sad if anyone knows where you can buy a large unbreakable full length, please let me know Very Happy
jnjkoz
jnjkoz

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2010-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by squiggle Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:04 pm

I found some canvas organizers with lots of pockets at Walmart and I zip-stripped them to the sides of our tall director's chairs. We keep the mirrors in there so that they're accessible to us but not the kids. I bought large ones at Walmart (about 24" x 18") and I tuck it in the top pocket of the organizer on the side between the chair and the table Smile

At festivals, we also hang a mirror from the tent so the kiddos can look to their hearts content. I would like to get a larger one to go on the side of one of my castle towers, but it would need to be unbreakable, and have you seen the prices for a 5' long unbreakable mirror? Ugggh!
squiggle
squiggle

Number of posts : 787
Registration date : 2009-11-11

http://www.awesome-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:10 pm

The unbreakable don't look pretty unless you care for it really really good, but maybe it is just me throwing things around too much?

I don't mind people are borrowing the mirror, they are really good at asking first. Plus I have my name on it, so don't think anyone would steal it ;-)

I have an A4 size to show in the chair - but need a new one. And a big one, made from small (it is in my gallery), but it takes time to set up and often children don't even realise it is there, maybe I should put something colourful on it? But it is great for the ones wanting to stay a bit making faces to them self.
LoneWolf
LoneWolf

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2008-10-04

http://www.lone-wolf.dk

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:19 pm

I have a large one from the dollar store (8"x5" or so?) that is plain black, and I have a series of small ones (2"x3" or so) that I claimed from my mother's teaching kit (something about bugs I think) that are bright pink, turquoise and purple with bright orange cords attached. I put out a bright one and a big one and I care about them, but don't care about them - if they walk off, I'll be annoyed, if the get banged and broken, I'm sure I'll be annoyed, but if they want to keep playing with them, better that than anything else. I use two because when I put something on their back, I hold the large one pointed at their back, they hold the small one in front of their face, they can see the back design.
Noella
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosenberg-Cox Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:41 pm

Dollar store kind with a handle, its is about 6"x10" and I keep it hidden in the chair as well. I thought about a bigger unbreakable one but worried how to transport it (weight,etc).
Rosenberg-Cox
Rosenberg-Cox

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-08-27

http://www.facepainting.coxmanor.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:04 pm

I work out of my fatmax, so I don't have a place for a stand up unbreakable mirror. I love how they look, but it's not practical for me. I have a big hand held mirror & I tuck it in the top of my fatmax w/ the handle sticking up & keep my laptop shifted just so, so I can reach for it. It keeps most the kids from snatching it & I still have good access to it.
If I believed in bad luck from broken mirrors, I'd have 7 yrs x 4 right now(3 last year & 1 this year).
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:35 pm

I buy handled mirrors at the dollar store - for $1... plastic with round glass mirror, but really cheaply made as the mirror is simply glued on the plastic without an edge holding it.

I use my teal duct tape to seal the edges and hold the mirror and reinforce the whole backing. Then cover it in stickers.

This is the one I use to show them when I am done.

Then on the back panel of one end of my table top display I have mounted cheap plastic locker mirrors with velcro tabs. They are already framed in bright colours (plastic or fun foam) so no extra embellishment required.

Now is a good time to find locker mirrors!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:29 am

I have three, but I don't always use them all at the same time.
I have one large handled one to present with - it goes straight back in my make-up case, then I have a small 6inch by 12 inch un-breakable one that I hand to them and lift them out of the chair. They look for as long as they like and pass it back when they are finished. Sometimes I have another one on the table for that kid that just HAS to keep coming back to see themselves again. None of them have ever gone for a wonder - perhaps I have just been lucky so far.
I wrap them in my towel when I'm packing up so they are protected and the travel in my pallet backpack.
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by twobluestripes Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:40 pm

I have a very small kit so far, so I've just been using a dollar store hand-held mirror of medium size. I don't think I'd buy a bigger one of glass, but at this size it seems to be fine. I try to keep it next to me on my table, out of reach of the kids.

It would be very nice for festivals to have a larger plastic locker mirror for repeat viewings, i just don't have large chairs or my own tent, so no where to put it! jnjkoz, you are so right about the siblings! But I don't know if it would be convenient at a smaller or medium sized party.

PS, my very first post at the forum! I've been lurking for a couple weeks now and excited about all the stuff I can learn here from you long-time painters.

twobluestripes

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2010-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:53 pm

twoblue, welcome to the forum from the land of lurking. Please introduce your-self to us in the Introduction section & tell us a bit about you. It's a great group here!
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down