Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much do I charge for PPF?

+40
PaintedFaces
ninaschau
Sweet Loretta
stormyart
kj
ladysinaz
MissHeidi
Kris5115
KaranLeaf
ParTIA
ChristmasMarie
Luvs to paint
Jesse
ginganinja
twobeesdesigns
Tineke
seekorka
anniel
jenny rae
Cyndi
Noella
Chatterbox jp
gravenkiss
FUNFACTORY
AmberMarie
Bee Happy Design
Griffinblue
Gamezgirl
Lynnie
MelodyFPL
Silly Sandee
bfacesz
Perry Noia
Peachymango
AngieAnders
helena
Denise Cold
Tash
angiespaintbrush
Metina
44 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

How much do I charge for PPF? - Page 2 Empty Re: How much do I charge for PPF?

Post by AngieAnders Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:53 am

Even your fastest faces at a PPF should be around 5 minutes. Maybe 7 if it's a slow day and you have a really intricate design. I don't offer designs at PPF that take longer. It evens out to about $100 per hour, give or take, if I have a steady line the whole time and am painting quickly.

There are other factors involved as well. The time it takes to make change or take money, get kids into the chair, show them their face afterward... those few kids who get in the chair and THEN want to think about which design they would like. Razz
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:28 pm

I'm trying to get faster and faster so I practice the designs at home and now I only do designs that I have memorized (at PPF) so I don't have to use an image because it really slows things down.

At a PPF they aren't going to be patient....there are siblings and parents and sometimes grandparents waiting and watching one kid and they've probably already waited 30 minutes or more if it's busy. I think you have to have full faces down to 6 - 8 minutes (about 5 minutes actual painting time). I didn't my first fair but I'm getting much better. Like Angie said, there are also other factors like loading your brush, collecting money, asking about the design, talkative parents, etc. that you have to include.

My lowest priced faces are getting down to 2 minutes or less (paint time). I'm hoping at my next fair to make $100 per hour (I can always hope!) Smile Oh, make sure you have a mirror away from the chair at a busy event...saves at least 30 seconds to a minute for admiring kids and picture taking parents. That's a lot of time for a day long fair.

30 minutes is for bellies and private face sessions where they are expecting a high level of painting and are paying for your one-on-one time.

D.

Denise Cold
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bee Happy Design Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:00 pm

5 minutes max for full face designs. If they take longer I would ditch 'em. I am not in the position right now, however where I am painting my own designs which I think makes it harder since I try to imitate the given design as much as possible. I have altered some to suit my own style and for speed. But a kid is not going to sit still for more than 5 minutes, guaranteed (and neither would the parents I expect).
Bee Happy Design
Bee Happy Design

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2011-08-15

http://www.beehappyfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:51 pm

gravenkiss wrote:So I am also looking for any tips here, what do you do in market situations when the parent leaves? I've never ever paid for any of my daughters face paints up front - before I started painting....but I've always known its my obligation to pay , but it doesn't seem to be standard with everyone .... does that make sense? Or am i rambling now?

I will see if the child has the money (at some events parents give their children their own mad money so they can make their own decisions on what items to get), but if they don't, I say something like "now it's time to find your parent so they can pay for this!". And they head off, find their parent and bug them. I've not had any yet fail to come back - at one, the mom said that her daughter wouldn't do anything else at all till they came back to pay....

It's something I learned from a company I did some work for quite a while ago (when the Internet was still relatively new). For years before he did mail order by mailing out product with an invoice in and letting them send a check back. When setting up his business online I really thought that wouldn't be a good idea - for someone to be able to order product without paying upfront - but he insisted it would work - he has a very very low rate of non payment - he just has people "on their honor" - and it works! In my case, they don't want to look bad to their kids and set a bad example (and I guess the children are being a bit pesty about it).
Noella
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Bee Happy Design Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:02 pm

I've had this happen before - and gotten stiffed a couple times too. Mostly my instincts tell me it's fine but usually if the parent has to go to the ATM for some cash I just paint slowly or ask the child to wait next to me until their parent comes back. I also try not to start the next customer until the present one is paid. Doesn't always work especially when really busy. Being in a theme park it's not always busy (some days there is nothing at all Sad ). Again I have had some people ditch (maybe a few times in a year) but it's not enough to worry about.

I really appreciate it when people ask BEFORE we start if I will accept certain type of payment. I wish I could post a sign but it's not technically my own booth. Otherwise I would make a sign that reads "Cash Only Please, Small Bills Appreciated."
Bee Happy Design
Bee Happy Design

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:21 pm

I charge 3,5,8-10. I have mey daughter help me collect money, rinse brushes and apply glitter. I pay her about 4-5 dollars an hour for this service. However if she is not there I collect the money after the face is complete. I have had to say "and that will be ..." that there is no discomfort and to be honest I am proud of the quality I offer.

Cyndi

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-10-10

http://www.cyndimcknight.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jenny rae Mon May 28, 2012 9:52 am

I have Thrifty 3's Fabulous 5's and Ultra 8's Someone mentioned hanging their tip bucket from their tent... I love that idea and am going to try it out at my upcoming festival. I think it all depends on wherer you are though. You dont want to charge more than they are willing to pay. I have a friend at the local skating rink who lets me come in and paint on Saturday afternoons. I charge a flat fee of $3 because I know they wont feel comfortable paying any more than that. I dont mind because it is how I practice and try out new faces. I average $30 an hour now, I get my name and business cards out, and increase my time. So its a win win I think.

jenny rae

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Mon May 28, 2012 11:42 am

We did 5,8 & 12 recently, added a tip bucket and left happy... (alcohol was served, which probably helped--plus it was a Friday Night).
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by seekorka Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:38 am

I paint since 2002 (in schools, for friends etc.) Since 2008 painting commercial for money.

Occasionally, someone paid prior to painting, some after. Indeed it may happen that someone forgets or tries to cheat. I also happen to 2 girls fled without paying. Which I regret the most, that lied waiting for parents.

Top in the Czech Republic in Europe is price 50 crowns (about $ 2.5 USD) for anything on the face. It is here that such a practice. Sometimes we agree on the higher amount (about 3-4USD).
In the event that the parents choose the child really small motif - the price decreases.

But I prefer an hourly fee by the number of children (20-30USD/hour).
In an hour I make a 8-10 full faces, or up to 14 children with different motives. Money in this agreement are paid past the work.

When I paint on larger events, paint up to 110 children. At the fair in 2009, I have 10 hours to paint 147 children. But noe I try to slow down and not be so tired.
Since last year's event we agree to a maximum of six hours. If children are really a lot we agree another painter.
The work takes me from 3-7 minutes depending on the demands and complexity of the theme.
seekorka
seekorka

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Tineke Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:06 am

Hmz, if this pay per face stuff works so well for you guys, I might consider giving it another go...
I'll give it a go, and contact some events about a booth... But would perhaps also make a 2 prices rule for eyedesigns and full faces...
That normally isn't done in Belgium, but I'll give it a go, who knows if they buy it? geek
Tineke
Tineke

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-07-02

http://www.tinekesgrime.com

Back to top Go down

How much do I charge for PPF? - Page 2 Empty How do i charge for NOT PPF?

Post by twobeesdesigns Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:55 am

I'm needing some help/advice on how to charge flat rates? Example - i worked a festival, my 2nd year back, and they paid me $500 for a three day weekend. In the end, I felt like I didn't charge enough; especially after talking to the balloon guy, and he charged the festival $1800 for the weekend, plus whatever he made in tips! I feel like I'm underselling myself in this area. For this particular weekend, I was there a total of 28 hours for the whole event. Next year, however, I will be charging more.

And now, I have two events that are interested in my services, and I've NO IDEA what to charge them. I read somewhere else that if I'm charging $5 a face, it's round about $50-60 hour, and if I'm charging $10 a face, its $100-120 an hour. One of the events, well both actually, are either a full day event, or a weekend event.

Would someone be kind enough to send me either a private message, with suggestions on what to charge? I'm pretty fast at what I do - - take the first festival listed, where I undercharged myself for the weekend. I got about 10-15 faces done in about a half hour - and they're not done sloppy either. I've yet to post pictures - but leary of doing so, because a lot of my designs, I hand draw them off the top of my head, and at one of the fairs I did this year, some lady stole my idea book! Yup, just picked it up and walked off with it, when I was in the middle of painting a girl's face! I was pretty upset!

Thanks for advice, suggestions and more!
twobeesdesigns
twobeesdesigns

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2012-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Bee Happy Design Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:55 pm

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad some of the things people will steal...
Bee Happy Design
Bee Happy Design

Back to top Go down

Post by twobeesdesigns Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:22 pm

Also, does anyone ever accept credit card payments?? Like via that paypal thing that you hook onto your iphone??
twobeesdesigns
twobeesdesigns

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2012-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by ginganinja Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:57 pm

I take cash before, for simplicity's sake. My line manager handles the money, asks the kids/parent what they want and she wipes the area down with a baby wipe all before they get in the chair. It avoids confusion, especially when you get the "I wanted the $3 version" after I've painted the full face. I still get tipped plenty as usually the kids want a dollar or two to put in the jar. I make sure my line manage gives ones for change if possible to encourage tipping.

ginganinja

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2012-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Jesse Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:28 pm

We did a festival last weekend and charged $5 and $10 for faces. Once we added a 2 for $8 deal we got much busier. This was the first festival we have done, so there was lots to learn! Also got some tips - but with a better setup the tips would probably have been better too.
Jesse
Jesse

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2012-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Luvs to paint Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:41 pm

Two bees designs -- I keep my cheat book on a leash... literally, and it is tethered to my fat max. Even if someone picks it up, they will need to CUT the cord to leave with it. I use an old cookbook that has the option when open to "stand" by itself. I re-covered it and taped my photos to the pages. Now, there's room on my fat max table to open it to the design I want... it stands nicely... and no one messes with it.

I charge $5 and $10 with a few that I upsell to $12 that include extras (painted paws for the tigers, cats, spinners for spiderman, extra bling for the masks, flames for the skull).
Luvs to paint
Luvs to paint

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bee Happy Design Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:57 pm

Luvs, that's a great idea! When in doubt... tie it down!! Twisted Evil
Bee Happy Design
Bee Happy Design

Back to top Go down

Post by ChristmasMarie Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:07 pm

I too do not know what to charge. I have my first event this coming weekend at an Octoberfest in a small town. I have never worked an event before only birthdays for family memebers. I was thinking 5 cheek, 7 half face, and 10 full face. I also dont know how many designs to limit my self to. I kinda need an image to look at. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Smile
ChristmasMarie
ChristmasMarie

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2012-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by ParTIA Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:32 pm

Last year was my first year and I did $4-Quarter Faces, $6 half faces and $8 full faces. I did pretty well for my first year. I had come up with those prices to allow "room for tips" But here's the thing- Tips are hit or miss. So this year I've gone to $5 and $10 faces- I have made as much or more than with the other pricing. Yes, some people baulk at the price- but most happily pay it to make their kiddos happy. I did the exact same event this weekend as last year (saw many of the same families) with my new pricing schedule I made $100 more. I had a couple kids want moustaches and I did them for $1 each- I was shocked they stood in line for them.

One problem I have is that people often think something little is easier- for me it's not, I am faster at a whole face than a detailed cheek art. Oh, well. Very Happy
ParTIA
ParTIA

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2011-07-05

http://www.partiafacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Luvs to paint Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:04 pm

Partia, then don't offer the small cheek art. I tell people "what's on my board are the designs I paint. It slows my line down when I have to work out a new design, so I'm sorry, you'll have to pick from the board." If someone wants something really basic, I offer 3 little flowers, a heart, the mustache, a stamped blues clues, or a stamped skull for $1 or $2, otherwise, they pick off my menu.
Luvs to paint
Luvs to paint

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by ParTIA Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:10 pm

@ Luvs to Paint-

I totally agree! I always get in trouble when I try to be flexiable! I am learning to stick to my guns a little more. Live and learn, right!
ParTIA
ParTIA

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2011-07-05

http://www.partiafacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KaranLeaf Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:36 am

I also am a Newbie,, last year was the first I had painted faces.. It was for our Local Relay For Life event. I charged $3 for cheek or hand, $4 for 1 eye design, $5 for mask and $8 for full face. I made enough that day to re-embursh my painting supply cost and donate $127 to the Relay. I was pleased,, But I had gotten my supplies at the local Walmart, so they were cheap and I had to wait for drying before using each color.. Rolling Eyes I also painted faces at our Church's Halloween party, All were very pleased , so that has given me the courage to go for it.. This year I setup a table at our local town celebration using the same charge chart as I made last year,, using the same cheap supplies I painted 25 children the first evening and 37 the second evening.. splitting it with the celebration committee .. I have just scheduled my 1st Birthday party I quoted $25 an hour. Does this seem reasonable?

KaranLeaf

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:16 am

KarenLeaf, welcome to FPF. Are you using paint that is FDA compliant for use on the skin or craft paint? What is your process for cleaning your brushes and sponges? There are a number of threads here on using safe, quality paints and properly cleaning your brushes/sponges. If you plan to charge, I would recommend upgrading your supplies for the safety of those you paint and to protect yourself from lawsuits besides.
Kris5115
Kris5115

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Bee Happy Design Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:29 am

Shocked $25 is really low. Bargain. Are you planning on doing super quick cheek designs or full face? Do some reasearch ( you can probably even do this online) for painters in your area and see what they charge.

And I echo what Kris said - I have never seen good paint at Walmart for face painting. Michael's sells Snazaroo which is fine. You might want to look into that.
Bee Happy Design
Bee Happy Design

Back to top Go down

Post by KaranLeaf Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:51 pm

Thanks,, Yes I totally agree about the paint. I just this Saturday received my order of Wolf Bros. face paint and rainbow cake,, I love the quality soooo Much Better.. Smile
I am doing only cheek art, forehead as in crown or jewelry or 1 eye and this is for a family member,,, Yes I did think maybe as a beginner I might have under priced myself. I thought I might, put out that the first 10 to book would receive a Special rate of $25. I hope that will kind of cover my bases and get me started. I don't know that there are many Face Painter's in my area. But I will check it out. I know there are some well over a couple hours drive away, but none I know of with in an hour or so of me. I have good quality brushes and a routine of good brush cleaning . I do need to get better sponges though. I have been practicing my Technics and designs to be quicker. Any and all input is very much appreciated .. Smile

KaranLeaf

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next