Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where do you get the $185 liablity insurance? Mine is $450:(

+17
chicneek
Sam I Am
creative lady
ChangingFaceDesigns
magicnewe
koolkatkiwi
JBax
Lady Jayde
BluAngL83
Metina
Gamezgirl
CreateFaces
Lynnie
Magic
Painted Dragon
modernmagik
cmeexpressions
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Where do you get the $185 liablity insurance?  Mine is $450:( Empty Where do you get the $185 liablity insurance? Mine is $450:(

Post by cmeexpressions Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:49 am

Where is everyone getting this $185 liability insurance? Mine is $450 and I work at an insurance agency with employee discounts.

Thanks!
Carey Emory
cmeexpressions
cmeexpressions

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2010-02-16

Back to top Go down

Where do you get the $185 liablity insurance?  Mine is $450:( Empty Re: Where do you get the $185 liablity insurance? Mine is $450:(

Post by modernmagik Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:54 am

through Clowns of the US (or Entertainers of the US)..... they use Specialty Insurance

modernmagik

Number of posts : 587
Registration date : 2009-09-28

http://www.wemakefaces.com/

Back to top Go down

Where do you get the $185 liablity insurance?  Mine is $450:( Empty Re: Where do you get the $185 liablity insurance? Mine is $450:(

Post by Painted Dragon Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:55 am

http://www.specialtyinsuranceagency.com/performer-insurance.html
Painted Dragon
Painted Dragon

Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2009-04-09

http://www.the-painted-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cmeexpressions Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:05 pm

Thanks!
cmeexpressions
cmeexpressions

Back to top Go down

Post by Magic Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:11 pm

I use K&K $200 year open enrollment
Magic
Magic

Number of posts : 556
Registration date : 2008-10-01

http://www.makingfacesparties.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:37 pm

If you're caught vending (face painting is considered vending) and not performing, then they will drop you.

The vending fee from Vendors of the US is double the performers insurance.

They cover both my performance and my vending.
Lynnie
Lynnie

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2010-02-09

http://www.artful-body.com

Back to top Go down

Post by modernmagik Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:21 pm

Which one drops you if you are a vendor?

Specialty Insurance covers face painting, temporary tattoos, airbrush tattoos, and even henna (only natural henna of course...not "black henna").....which is why I switched from World Clown Association..... WCA would not cover henna.
They even have event certificates for when you are vending at a festival, at no added cost. You just have to request them.

modernmagik

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:40 pm

Specialty Insurance has two sides. Clowns of the U.S. and Vendors of the U.S.
dual personality seen here

The $185 through Specialty is for performers, Clowns of the US.
I've been insured through them since 1998.
This literally covers one person, no booth and no product.

The other side of the site is for Vendors, and they cover *everything* (except weapons and fireworks). However, they charge almost $350 for a full year of coverage. Even the partial year is $200 from June 1 to Sept 1.
This covers all product, the booth and anyone you have working with you in it (as an employee, not a subcontractor).

I was told by Stephanie who runs it that if a vendor (a face painter) was to attempt to make a claim under performers insurance, they would be denied, and that if caught, they will be dropped from future coverage. Obviously, clowns acting as face painters don't fall under that.

It's all a buy in, so I don't see what it matters anyway but it evidently does.
Lynnie
Lynnie

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2010-02-09

http://www.artful-body.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cmeexpressions Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:46 pm

Wow. Has anyone ever filed a claim with this coverage personally? I work in insurance but employee benefits. Don't really know the ends and outs of the commercial side. Anyone that has actually used the coverage have any reviews to share?

Carey Emory
cmeexpressions
cmeexpressions

Back to top Go down

Post by modernmagik Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:52 pm

All I know is that it has been covering face painters under the performers insurance side for years..... it even says on the documentation face painter, and it is the under $200 price, not the $350.
I even know face painters who have had to file claims and have talked t Stephanie.....never have heard that about the vendor stuff before, because face painters are not really vendors, they are selling a service, not a tangible product.

modernmagik

Back to top Go down

Post by CreateFaces Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:08 pm

I'm with Specialty also and the rate for for performers, which covers face painters will be $200 for the upcoming year.
You can contact them with any questions, they're very nice. Answer is no, I have not filed a claim, but I know painters who have without incident and have been satisfied.
CreateFaces
CreateFaces

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2009-09-15

http://www.create-a-face.net

Back to top Go down

Post by modernmagik Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:40 pm

The only claim from a face painter that I know of that they refused to cover was when the face painter's car tires made a rut in a customer's lawn.
They said she would have to claim it on her car insurance or something like that.

modernmagik

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamezgirl Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:50 pm

Interesting, Stephanie knew I was buying US insurance to cover my booth for FP at the NY State Fair and never said a word about their being 2 sides, I am definatly going to contact her and verify this. My coverage is $200 but it only covers me, no other painters, my CDN insurance covers me and up to 2 employees for the same price.
Gamezgirl
Gamezgirl

Number of posts : 473
Registration date : 2009-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by CreateFaces Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:46 pm

The way I understood it, for booth coverage, you need the vendors policy.

I work almost exclusively in homes or at other businesses which is why I fall under the performers side. If I were working my own booth, I would not be covered under this policy.
CreateFaces
CreateFaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamezgirl Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:15 pm

I've emailed Stephane for clarification and I will be very surprised if this is all true, I hope that I haven't been working without true insurance. I appreciate that this has been brought up. I bought my insurance from Specialty last August specifically for the my booth at the NY State Fair, Stephanie knew that this was what it was for and actually rushed me a certificate to go in with my application. I will admit that I didn't do alot of research, I just went with everyone's reccomendation when I asked for US insurance info and called Stephanie right away. I will let you all know what her response is when I hear back from her.
Gamezgirl
Gamezgirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamezgirl Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:18 pm

Geeze, now I know I'm tired, I replied twice to the same message with the same nfo...d'oh. Off to bed... he he he, that sounds so close to OFF WITH HIS HEAD!! But that is a whole new thread...
Gamezgirl
Gamezgirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:53 am

Heather,

I am eager to know about this as well as I have Specialty. Let us know!

-Metina
Metina
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamezgirl Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:06 am

Ok so here's what I said to Stephanie and what she replied back...

", someone on a face paint forum told us that the $200 coverage that we buy from Specialty does NOT cover us if we have a booth at a fair doing face painting for money. Is this indeed correct? The person said “If you're caught vending (face painting is considered vending) and not performing, then they will drop you.”

Can you clarify or verify the info please? This concerns me as I bought my insurance specifically for my booth at the NY State Fair last summer."

Her reply

"
Hi Heather,
Not true! Our commercial general liability policy covers you in the home doing a party, in a park, at a fair or festival, anywhere in the U.S., Canada or the U.S. owned islands.

Thank you for questioning!
Stephanie Weiss
Specialty Insurance Agency
Performers of the U.S. & Vendors of the U.S."
Gamezgirl
Gamezgirl

Back to top Go down

Where do you get the $185 liablity insurance?  Mine is $450:( Empty So whats the price?

Post by BluAngL83 Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:23 am

So is the insurance $185 or $200? I'm planning on buying it next month, so I want to make sure I get the correct one.
BluAngL83
BluAngL83

Number of posts : 851
Registration date : 2009-06-22

http://www.heavenlyfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by modernmagik Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:56 am

Glad you got a quick response. It is possible that their vendor policy costs more because it covers booth workers, plus there is a greater risk for vendors at fairs in terms of products they are selling being damaged or stolen.

The policy I have is not a vendor policy, it is a public liability policy that covers me while painting, etc. so it sounds like I am fine also. Thanks for getting Stephanie to clear up the misunderstanding.

modernmagik

Back to top Go down

Post by CreateFaces Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:07 pm

Thanks for clarifying!
As far as the rates, this is how it was posted for 2009:

The 2009 – 2010 policy limits of coverage are as follows:
Each Occurrence $3,000,000 (bodily injury & property damage to others)
Damage to Rented Premises $100,000 (to rented premises)
Personal & Advertising Injury $3,000,000 (hurting someone's feelings)
General Aggregate $4,000,000 (the most the policy will pay out during the policy year)
Products – Completed Op. Agg. $4,000,000 (the most the policy will pay out during the policy year)
Medical Expenses $5,000 (emergency medical)
Carrier Coverage underwritten by Lexington Insurance Company; a carrier rated A (excellent)
Deductible: Zero
Premium Coverage is for an annual term from April 25 to April 25 for $200.00 per person.
CreateFaces
CreateFaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:37 pm

I just got off the phone with Stephanie and she's pretty shocked that the $185 quote is even being discussed. She said that the last time they had that quote was in 2005 and that what used to be Clowns of the U.S. was changed to Performers of the U.S. to cater to all forms of entertainers.

The premium for the 2010 policy with be $210. That's up $10 from last year because they have increased the General Aggregate from $4,000,000 to $5,000,000 (I guess a lot of businesses are requesting a higher aggregate coverage from the painters they hire?

She said that the Vendor's policy would be for painters who had employees (i.e., the kind that you mention on your tax forms), but I didn't ask about selling items. She did say that it doesn't matter if you are in a booth, a tent or a bathroom, your Performer's insurance will cover you.

BTW, renewal notices will be mailed out Saturday or Monday, so keep your eyes peeled for them!!

Stephanie said that she will talk to anyone who has concerns about their policy and that you can give her a call: 1-715-246-8908

I hope that this helps clear up some of the confusion.
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:48 pm

Performers of the U.S.:

The Performers of the US insurance program is designed for the individual who is entertaining the public. The policy provides protection against bodily injury or property damage to a spectator during your performance.

Eligible Performers:
Clowns and Santas
Face Painters
Balloon Twisters

Jugglers
Magicians
Fire Dancers
Stage Hypnotists
Caricature Artists
Street Performers
Comedy Acts
Aerialists
Storytellers
Minstrels
Children Entertainers

We Do Not Cover:

Fireworks
Pyrotechnic Operations
Animals (including: mammals, and fowl.)
Athletic Participation
Your business employees/subcontractors
Trackless Trains
Moonwalks
Jump houses (or other amusement rides and attractions)
Instruction

Vendors of the U.S.
The Vendors of the US insurance program is designed for the merchant selling their wares or services at the fairs, festivals, expos trade show, etc.
The policy provides protection against bodily injury to a customer while in or around your booth and/or property damage that may occur to others.

Things To Know:

* Coverage is under the association's Master Policy.
* Certificates of Insurance are sent out from the Master Policy.
* There is no charge for certificates naming the venue where you are working as an additional insured.
* Your "employees" or "volunteer workers" ARE COVERED while performing duties related to the conduct of your business. Note: A sub-contractor is not considered an employee.
* The policy renews every September 1st.
* Policy provides coverage throughout the United States.
* Product Liability is required by some of the fairs in CA, ID, KS, NY, PA, TX, & WA More fairs & states will probably adopt this requirement. The product coverage covers the resulting damage for the Vendor's products.

Example 1: customer purchase a rug; the rug is not skid proof and someone slips and falls. The resulting bodily injury would be covered (less the deductible).
Example 2: customer buys a piece of pottery, places the pottery in the oven or microwave to warm or bake something and the pottery breaks. The broken pottery is not covered. If the pottery caused damage to the oven or microwave, that resulting damage would be covered

Eligible Vendors:

Anyone setting up booth space and selling a product or service

Ineligible Vendors:

Anyone selling liquor
Anyone with live animals
Body piercing or permanent tattooing
Corn or hay mazes
Haunted attractions
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:17 pm

Okay... so it still means that my tent or supplies, should they burn down at an event or something, would not be covered and replaced by the insurance. This is liability only and covers any damage/injury/hurt feelings of the customer.

Am I understanding it right?
JBax
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:00 pm

Yup...unless you find someone to underwrite for a plan that included kit replacement...I think Shannon has that for her kit.
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next