Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trying to start face painting business again!

3 posters

Go down

Trying to start face painting business again! Empty Trying to start face painting business again!

Post by velmakelly Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:32 am

Hi everyone,

It has been a few years since I have been on here. 5 years ago I purchased an epic faint painting kit, had business cards and flyers printed out, nailed practising some designs, got public liability insurance. Even managed to do one or two face painting gigs....and then.... I got the coldest feet ever...I dumped everything, gave up and swore I wouldn't do face painting again.

All because I thought I wasn't good enough...that there were so many other painters out there better than me.

Lately I have got the feeling come back that I want to try again, and the nice thing about it is I am not scared. Ok well perhaps a little nervous, but I am willing to feel the fear and do it anyway....what if I have missed out on my calling here? If I had stuck to it originally I could have been so fabulous and doing well by now.

The question is should I just go for it again...some professional and common sense advice would really be appreciated! Thanks so much.... Vel xx

velmakelly

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2012-05-31

Back to top Go down

Trying to start face painting business again! Empty Re: Trying to start face painting business again!

Post by Kris5115 Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:56 am

Welcome back. I took a sabbatical from face painting and came back to it after several years when I had kids of my own. I enjoy learning from better face painters and know that practicing will result in my improvement. Here are some things you might consider as you are jumping back in:

- What are your goals? Are you looking to make money or is it more for a creative outlet? Are you think about this as a hobby or as a business? The answers to these questions should influence your direction.

- Are there other face painters in your area? What do they charge? How busy are they? Is your market saturated or is there a place for you? Are you willing to carve out a place while maintaining a good relationships with the other artist in your area?

- What is the state of your supplies? Before buying more stuff, evaluate if you can be successful with what you already have and add to your kit slowly as you become more successful and see what product you really need.

- What do you need to do to be ready? What is the speed/quality of your work? Are you currently able to perform at a professional level or do you need to practice a bit first? What is your plan and criteria to determine when you are ready?

- Do you have a marketing plan?

These are just some things I think are worth considering. I don't know that there are any right or wrong answers, just your goals and plans for what you are considering. And you are free to change your mind along the way if you think something else will work better for you.

Most of all, have fun! Enjoy every minute!

Last edited by Kris5115 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Kris5115
Kris5115

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Trying to start face painting business again! Empty Re: Trying to start face painting business again!

Post by jlirie Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:33 am

sounds like you need to take it slow, learn and practice for awhile before launching into business.

like any skill, face painting is not something you just pick up overnight.

why don't you get a few supplies again and practice on family and friends, then maybe volunteer at some local events where you know people and see how it goes?

if you find yourself enjoying it and getting better so you feel confident, then you can expand from there.
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down