Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reloading Paint for Double Dipped Flowers

+5
LittleMonsters
tronnor21
jlirie
anniel
Johnny5K
9 posters

Go down

Reloading Paint for Double Dipped Flowers Empty Reloading Paint for Double Dipped Flowers

Post by Johnny5K Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:47 pm

Hi All,

I wanted to ask - what do the pros do when you're doing a heavy floral design on a face and the number of petals you're creating will require 2 (or more) full loads of white + a double color?

A very simple issue, but to me it seems like a waste of time to rinse, then reload completely...and also a waste of white paint.

Is there a shortcut technique to reloading a double dipped paintbrush?

Johnny5K

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2015-09-09

Back to top Go down

Reloading Paint for Double Dipped Flowers Empty Re: Reloading Paint for Double Dipped Flowers

Post by anniel Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:47 pm

I am no expert, when doing event work, but I generally just reload the 2nd color unless the white is dried out/really murky. At a private party, I might be more particular... (It's face painting, not fine art )

Id be interested as well to hear from others...
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Reloading Paint for Double Dipped Flowers Empty Re: Reloading Paint for Double Dipped Flowers

Post by jlirie Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:51 pm

not an expert in double dipped, but you could blot the tip with a paper towel to remove most or all of the 2nd color, then reload white and the 2nd color. wastes less paint.

sometimes i do that to save time with single colors -
i use the same brush to switch to a similar color, by blotting the first color, then loading the 2nd -
i.e. orange to yellow, blue to green.
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by tronnor21 Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:53 pm

I can usually get another flower or two if I spray my brush with my spray bottle to re-wet the paint. Sometimes, I do have to completely reload and I always completely rinse my brush and go back into the white. However, I only do that when the paint is practically gone from my brush, so I don't feel like it's a waste of paint, just a waste of time haha!
tronnor21
tronnor21

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2014-11-30

http://taylormclean.wix.com/facepainting

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:40 pm

I also clean the brush and start from scratch once the level of quality starts to drop with my first load... not sure if there's a better system...
LittleMonsters
LittleMonsters

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2014-08-30

http://littlemonstersfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnny5K Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:27 pm

I’ve tried blotting the first color and reloading white, but the reloaded petals still seem to have quite a bit of that color’s tint.  I’m sure it’s not a big deal and doubt few (if any) people would notice or realize the petals should be pure white for the new set of flowers, but my OCD keeps screaming at me that I’ve lost symmetry in my design at that point :p

Guess I’ll just have to do it the old fashioned way.  I will try spritzing to revitalize the paint as well.

Thanks again for the replies!

Johnny5K

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2015-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:17 am

best to use the technique that you prefer. at least you can try to use as much paint as you can on the first load before you rinse.
jlirie
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:52 pm

Some times I just wipe the tip as much as i can the reload white then the color. It really depends on what color you are using tho, as REALLY dark ones will just turn your white a lighter shade of that color.

Some times I'll hold it at and angle to load the white, keeping the color point up and out of the paint. Also I load back and forth NEVER swirl as it's bad for your brushes. and petal pots while the concept is good, you might as well put your brush into a broken pencil sharpener for how bad it with for the bristles imo.
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura-Lou Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:02 pm

I try and space out my flowers from the first load and then reload my brush and paint the second load of flowers. Personally I really like that this give you two different toned flowers, eg. white with purple centers and then pale lilac with purple centers.
Laura-Lou
Laura-Lou

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2015-11-18

http://www.ljfacepainting.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:36 pm

good tip, laura-lou Smile
jlirie
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by l!zzie Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:31 pm

I use the double dip almost in every design I make.
I always rinse and load again, because I like my flowers crisp!
l!zzie
l!zzie

Number of posts : 2256
Registration date : 2011-09-28

http://www.detiskwant.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by DebinSC Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:13 pm

great tip Laura-Lou Very Happy

DebinSC

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2014-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down