Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Volunteer opportunity - 'Now I lay me down to sleep'

+2
LoneWolf
CATZ
6 posters

Go down

Volunteer opportunity - 'Now I lay me down to sleep' Empty Volunteer opportunity - 'Now I lay me down to sleep'

Post by CATZ Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:04 am

I was introduced to an organization called 'Now I lay me down to sleep' the other day by a photographer friend of mine. She asked me to paint angel wings on a woman that is 8 months pregnant, but the baby died. Through this organization photographers volunteer their time and service to record a memory for the grieving parents and honour the life that was shortened too early.

Here's the website: http://www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org/about_us/

My brother's baby died at 3 months old, and I learned from his wife how important it is to acknowledge their life even though it's incredibly painful. I was honoured to help out in a small way for this family. Maybe check out opportunities in your neighbourhood.

The photo session was tonight and this is what I painted. She had a 3 year old there so we went with a quick and easy design.
Volunteer opportunity - 'Now I lay me down to sleep' Ep103010
CATZ
CATZ

Number of posts : 887
Registration date : 2009-10-04

http://www.CATZfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Volunteer opportunity - 'Now I lay me down to sleep' Empty Re: Volunteer opportunity - 'Now I lay me down to sleep'

Post by LoneWolf Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:24 am

Was the baby inside dead when you painted the belly?

I have don a similar concept with a woman who had a lot of miscarriages.
Volunteer opportunity - 'Now I lay me down to sleep' Bodypa11

Like your wings =)
LoneWolf
LoneWolf

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2008-10-04

http://www.lone-wolf.dk

Back to top Go down

Volunteer opportunity - 'Now I lay me down to sleep' Empty Re: Volunteer opportunity - 'Now I lay me down to sleep'

Post by SuzySparkles Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:16 am

I am crying my eyes our just reading this... I would be bawling the whole time I was painting!! Great job though guys!
SuzySparkles
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by CATZ Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:42 pm

Yes, the baby was dead. He died at 8 months and will be removed next week. The dad and 3 year old sister were there for a family photo session. I just kept it together by not thinking about it and being happy for the little girl. I painted a dinosaur on her face and got in and out quickly. It was their time as a family to record their son's part in their family. The mother was quite emotionless as I'm sure she's working on protecting herself. I can't think of a worse thing to go through than losing a child.

Love the guardian angel Lone! I've got two living bellies to paint in the next few weeks. I put up an advertisement on my facebook page that I'd paint a belly for free to get one in my portfolio and I got two offers at the same time! So I'll be doing that sometime soon. I'm thinking of a baby surrounded in angel wings or flowers, or a watermelon, or a fishbowl, or some kind of yin yang symbol made from light and dark items like puppies or kittens or flowers. I'm looking forward to that as it's been awhile (about 20 years) since I've taken time to really paint anything detailed. I think there's a real 'spiritual' element to painting on a pregnant belly. The hope and promise of a new life and the love of a mother is I think the strongest emotion out there.
CATZ
CATZ

Number of posts : 887
Registration date : 2009-10-04

http://www.CATZfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:08 pm

Thank you so much for sharing that. It will mean so much to that family who will have so little to remember that small life.

It's something I've never thought about, but it makes so much sense. I got certified as a bereavement support worker about 7 years ago to help out families who have suffered a loss through miscarriage, stillbirth, or neonatal death. The hospital I work through has a wonderful support program that takes care of pictures and momentos, but being able to commemorate the pregnancy before the birth is something special.

You think about a family that loses a child, and it's just awful. But all the memories of one's little boy or girl with a stillbirth or neonatal death often are left behind in a hospital. Your mom was probably like that because in times of emotional overload, we power down, so to speak, or go crazy. She won't remember what you said exactly, but she will remember this kindess and how you made her feel special.

You go home, hug your family, and be thankful for what you can.
JBax
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilmoonflower Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:34 am

I'm a doula (a sort of childbirth assistant who helps moms & families during pg and labor and post partum). I think this is an AWESOME thing to do!
aprilmoonflower
aprilmoonflower

Number of posts : 713
Registration date : 2009-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Magic Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:38 pm

I am a jewelry designer as well and built a special bracelet for a friend that lost a baby in utero - I used swarofsky crystals in clear and blue opal to represent the mother Mary in one decant of the rosary with a crucifix and a heart with 2 tiny feet on it. Very moving for me to create and very moving for the mom.
Magic
Magic

Number of posts : 556
Registration date : 2008-10-01

http://www.makingfacesparties.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down