Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ugh! Being asked for personal information, what do I do?

+7
rthling
nikkili26
fesspenter
novice tammy
leapinglizards
Chuck Stark
DannyB
11 posters

Go down

Ugh! Being asked for personal information, what do I do? Empty Ugh! Being asked for personal information, what do I do?

Post by DannyB Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:55 pm

Hi guys

I have been asked to do a family Christmas party at a military base and in order to secure funding they say they need my SIN and birthdate

OR my business number - GST

I don't want to register for my GST number because I will never make enough to have to charge taxes, and I am just NOT comfortable giving out my Social Insurance Number

Has anyone else come across this?
What did you do?

Thanks
DannyB
DannyB

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2013-07-26

Back to top Go down

Ugh! Being asked for personal information, what do I do? Empty Re: Ugh! Being asked for personal information, what do I do?

Post by Chuck Stark Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:58 pm

Many corporate gigs will require a W-9.
Chuck Stark
Chuck Stark

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2013-11-11

http://knoxvillefacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Ugh! Being asked for personal information, what do I do? Empty Re: Ugh! Being asked for personal information, what do I do?

Post by leapinglizards Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:47 pm

Yes it's common wth big companies or government clients. If you're uncomfortable with it, decline the job.

leapinglizards

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2009-10-31

http://www.livecanvasart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:06 pm

I have run into two clients who require my SIN... the local college and the regional teacher's convention. If I want the job I have to provide it. A military base is a government operation - I wouldn't worry about providing the SIN, but ask if it is essential. If I had a GST number I could provide that instead, but I don't.

But they don't get my birthdate.

Back to top Go down

Post by novice tammy Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:51 pm

I just ran into that with a local library. I see you're in Canada... In US, as they were saying, many large corps and government (because they treat paying you for your services as hiring a sub-contractor, which I hate, which means you have to wait until accounts payable cuts you a check to get paid) require our tax ID number or if we are sole-proprietor, then our social security number, but our W-9 has nothing on it asking for a birthdate. So, I don't know if that's a requirement in Canada.
novice tammy
novice tammy

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2013-05-19

http://www.clowningaroundasheville.net

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:28 pm

Maybe they want to mail you a birthday present!!!

xoxo
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:10 pm

how much are you going to make from the gig?

if it's worth your while, give them the number.

I had a gig I was offering a discount to, and they wanted MY info...so I passed.

but if it was full rate, for more than a few hours, I'd hand over the data, sure.
nikkili26
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:35 am

It's a military base. National security and all.
Your birthdate is on your drivers license, which they will be looking at.
If you want the job, hand over the info.
rthling
rthling

Number of posts : 1830
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:56 am

p.s....even if you don't think you'll make enough to pay taxes, you should still be tracking all income as if you have to pay taxes....

when i first started, i honestly didn't think i'd make more than $500 my first year...

laughable how wrong i was and how quickly that has taken place.
nikkili26
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Magick Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:42 pm

here in the usa vendors MUST be w9 for anything over $600 paid to them from a company in a years time. a lot of companies are now demanding a w9 be filled out for all vendors they cut a check for. I just had one last night want to w9 me. I told them no as the amount they are paying me is under $600 and I am not required by the irs to provide one. they stated it was company policy. so i said well if this is a deal breaker then I understand but I will not be giving out personal information that can be used in identity theft. they quickly paid on a credit card. anything paid on a company card does not need to be w9.

long and short of it? i will give up the job instead of giving up my personal info. I can always get many more that do not need it. it is a choice you will need to make for your self.
Michael Magick
Michael Magick

Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2013-02-24

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyond-Belief-Magic/1166254450630

Back to top Go down

Post by DannyB Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:45 pm

Thanks everyone!
And Lisa, they better send me a present after everything I went through for this.

I decided to hand over the information, although it isn't a big gig on Saturday I live in a military city, we have a Navy base, Air base and Army, so... if I might be getting a call for every major holiday then it could totally be worth my while to be in their books.

Nikki, I am keeping track of everything and plan to file at the end of the year, but I still am not going to make enough to have to pay taxes Smile

Thanks!
DannyB
DannyB

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelley Bellefontaine Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:47 pm

As a military spouse , i regularly work at events on base. As part of the contract I give my SIN # . I have no issue with that. I also get direct deposit to my bank account. It is just another section of the government Smile Are you working at Greenwood or Shearwater? You have NOTHING to worry about.
Shelley Bellefontaine
Shelley Bellefontaine

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-05-05

http://www.you-name-it.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by DannyB Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:31 am

It was Stadacona, I did Shearwater a few weeks ago but they didn't need me to give up any info, I think it might have just been Military family's with funding putting on a party. Not really sure...

Everything went well, and now I am on the books haha

Thanks Smile
DannyB
DannyB

Back to top Go down

Post by saloner Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:34 pm

Shelly, you are a very good face painter. As far as the question at hand....you just have to decide if you want to claim it or not.
saloner
saloner

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2010-04-18

https://www.facebook.com/facepaintnmama1

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelley Bellefontaine Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:30 am

Um , I am not the original poster. I in fact work many events at my local military base( they issue T-4 slips at the end of the fiscal year), and i DO declare my income and pay taxes on what I earn . I DO NOT take money under the table Smile Thank you for the compliment though, very kind of you Smile
Shelley Bellefontaine
Shelley Bellefontaine

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-05-05

http://www.you-name-it.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by artyfacesbyluz Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:03 am

I have been a vendor at the military malls I had a booth at the army exchange in Germany and now I apply for one here in Florida (not enough traffic though) I had to fill out a w-9 form that is good for 1 year.
artyfacesbyluz
artyfacesbyluz

Number of posts : 956
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.artyfacesbyluz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down