Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Longest lasting Face Paint

+3
MeeMee
TheGildedCat
razmatattz
7 posters

Go down

Longest lasting Face Paint Empty Longest lasting Face Paint

Post by razmatattz Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:24 pm

Hey all, for those of you who have tried many different face paints, which ones lasted the longest?

I use Snazaroo and it seems to last pretty good, until the kids hit a bounce house or water something or other. Not sure if any of the other paints wear off quicker or last longer around water besides airbrush face painting, which I don't do at this time, but may add in the future, though I will always do face painting with a brush as I love the creativity and look with using brushes over airbrushing.

I would love to use wolfe white and black for my line work, but I never seem to find the white in stock. I would hate to start using a paint and then not be able to get a hold of it.

Anyway, thanks for your replies. I love hearing from you all.
razmatattz
razmatattz

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2011-05-17

http://razmatattz.jimdo.com

Back to top Go down

Longest lasting Face Paint Empty Re: Longest lasting Face Paint

Post by TheGildedCat Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:19 pm

Honestly, I find they all last about the same amount of time for the water-based products. None of them are sweat-proof. Sometimes powders like Starblends can hold up better at sweaty events but if a kid has an especially oily skin to begin with - forget it.

TAG/Wolfe/DFx/Chameleon/PartyXPlosion and a few others are all from the same factory. While there are minor differences in available shades and texture, they all pretty much wear off at the same rate. Some people will swear allegiance to one brand over another for longevity, but I cannot say I can demonstrate a consistent difference in wear times.

Paradise and FAB and Kryolan are creamier and while I use them blending, I think they tend to flake less over time. Overall, I use pretty much all brands in every face and let each client know that if they sweat - don't touch it. It can often handle sweat alone but sweat + touching = goodbye.

Face paint is a temporal art and it doesn't mix well with bouncy houses!

If you're looking for a legitimate water-resistant product, some of the hybrid airbrush paints are great for this: Graftobian, ProAir, etc. With those, you can also sponge them on and ProAir makes a looser product that you can use with brushes called Dips. The hybrid products are great because they do come off with soap and water and aren't particularly harsh on little kids like some of the alcohol-based, waterproof inks are.
TheGildedCat
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:45 pm

Face paints are temporary - water reactivates them so eating, sweating, etc. will make them smear and rub off. They are not meant to be long lasting.

If you want something that is going to last and be somewhat smudge proof you have two options:

1) theatrical make-up (oil based) set with powder; or

2) airbrush make-up - there are water based, alcohol based and hybrids - all hold better than face paint.

(meaning, I agree with what Julie says! Wink 

Back to top Go down

Post by MeeMee Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:06 am

I agree with the others.  Starblend and ben nye powders with hybrid facepaint for linework. Although, liquid set doesn't seam to help with regular facepaints, it does quite well with powders. Spraying liquid set on the sponge and then loading the powder gives it extra staying power.  If you have the patience, you can mix liquidset with Starblend that has been sifted (Denise has a video on this) to make a longer lasting paint. Like the hybrids I've tried, it will also dry out quickly but it is an option.
MeeMee
MeeMee

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.specialtimesentertainment.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Party Picassos Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:08 am

Another option for lasting power...a fixative. I purchase a dozen bottle of Mehron and it works well. It's like hair spray for face painting. I painted runners in a Day of the Dead marathon with star blends, outlined with Wolfe and then sprayed them with the fixative. I saw photos after the running and sweating...my artwork was perfect!
Party Picassos
Party Picassos

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2010-11-18

http://www.partypicassos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by funela Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:08 pm

Diamond FX white and black last the longest.
Short live has neon colors - because I need to load a lot on a brush to actually see it.
funela
funela

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2011-05-17

http://funela.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:38 pm

besides going with an hybrid paint, alcohol base or PAX paint (PAX is hardcore stuff, i don't recommend it for face painting), your options for paint are limited.

However you options for sealers are many.
Final Seal
Colorless Makeup Powder
Green Marble SeLr
Aqua Seal
Blue Marble SeLr

BUT there is only one that works best, is cost effective, and is safer for face painting in my opinion and that is Blue Marble SeLr.

Final Seal by Ben Nye is more of a catch all sealer for makeups grease, cream, and water based etc. Pretty much anything. But it has alcohol in it and not recommended for those with sensitive skin.

Colorless Powder is great stuff, and makes a great sealer and anti-shine product but not as long lasting as a spray sealer. It also had to be puff or brush applied which takes time.

Green Marble SeLr is really tough stuff. Like Final seal it goes over just about anything, but has better durability then final seal imo. Problem though with that toughness comes issues. This is not made for people with sensitive skin, most of all if applied to the face because of it's alcohol content. Also the more you use the harder the makeup is to come off with regular soap and water.

Aqua Seal is alcohol free, but being made by Makeup Forever this stuff is NOT cheap by any means, at $25 for a 0.4oz bottle. Ouch!

Finally there is Blue Marble SeLr, which is FAR better for those with sensitive skin, and is gentler for applying on the face. PERFECT for kids who often have sensitive skin. It will keep your face painting in place, but still come off with soap.

I carry Final Seal, and Green and Blue Marble in my makeup FX kit, and i take Green and Blue with me when face painting. I use green for adults and older kids over 12, and blue for face designs for younger kids over 5yo, and I also use it for any non face art, like hands and arms on any age. because of the risk of it getting in the eyes, i don't use it on kids who i think can't keep their eyes closed AND get a mist spray to the face. :p

I use it when ever i do a design i like and want to see last (birthday girls/boys), or at PPF i charge $1 for it to be added. Very Happy

As with all spray sealers they work best when given 5min to fully dry, and touching the makeup before then can make it smudge. Also hold them at a distance to avoid concentrating the spray, which increases risk of seepage into the eyes, and drips that will ruin your art.
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by PixiePaintrix Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:50 pm

Do you order blue Marble SeLr online or do you have a local supplier?
PixiePaintrix
PixiePaintrix

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2014-01-13

http://www.pixiedustpirates.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:20 pm

Here in Vancouver i buy it at a local makeup FX store called Studio FX. But you can get it online too.
Link
Great stuff, and not that costly.
If you have never used a makeup spray sealer be sure to practice on some one you know well enough that they won't sue you if it gets in their eyes. Won't do any damage but man does it burn! I was on a movie set once and another makeup artist sprayed green marble too close to an actor and it got in his eye. Painful to watch, AND we had to touch up his makeup after the tears did their job. For a kid it would be like getting soap in the eyes. Again why i only use it on the ones i trust to keep their eyes closed.
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by PixiePaintrix Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:28 pm

I only have Final Seal and I used it on myself and it was totally to harsh for my face and eyes. I need something more gentle, never mind the kids LOL!

(sorry for the thread highjack)
PixiePaintrix
PixiePaintrix

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2014-01-13

http://www.pixiedustpirates.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:03 pm

codegirl wrote:I only have Final Seal and I used it on myself and it was totally to harsh for my face and eyes.  I need something more gentle, never mind the kids LOL!

(sorry for the thread highjack)

Yeah i can't do green marble of final seal either because i'm such a wuss. But blue marble i never have a problem.
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down