Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone Members of the "FACE" Face Paint Association?

4 posters

Go down

Anyone Members of the "FACE" Face Paint Association? Empty Anyone Members of the "FACE" Face Paint Association?

Post by Gretchen Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:07 am

I just came across the website for "FACE," the Face Paint Association. http://www.facepaint.co.uk/ I'm just curious if anyone else out there has joined and is it worth it? I just was looking for another face paint magazine (since I liked American Facepainter but it's on hiatus now) and subscribed to a year of theirs, but am wondering if I should join. Just downloaded their 14 page application which seems daunting but do-able. Any members out there have any opinions? I know they're UK based too and I'm in the US, if that matters. But it would be cool to have some more "cred" to put on my website! ;-)
Gretchen
Gretchen

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Anyone Members of the "FACE" Face Paint Association? Empty Re: Anyone Members of the "FACE" Face Paint Association?

Post by Lady Jayde Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:53 am

Shannon Fennell is a high tier member of FACE and if I'm not mistaken, Gary Cole and Roberta Mandella are members who can actually administer the test. I was supposed to do my testing this past January, but chickened out because I know that I still have areas that I need to work on. Good luck!
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Anyone Members of the "FACE" Face Paint Association? Empty Re: Anyone Members of the "FACE" Face Paint Association?

Post by Guest Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:09 am

There are several US members. Any member in good standing can supervise the test so you just have to locate one that is close enough to arrange it. Gary Cole is the US Rep for FACE so he is the one to talk to in the US about applying and he can help with arranging it.

I'm certified as an Advanced (Level 2) Face Painter and was the Rep for Canada until the last AGM when Katie Hunt took over.

I like having the "creds" and the magazine is nice - it is quarterly, and you can subscribe without joining - it is on the website.

And LJ... buck, buck, buck, buuuuuck albino (no chickens so accept this rabbit instead!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretchen Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:46 pm

Oh, okay...wow! Didn't realize it was an actual in-person test or that there were so few US members. As you can see I haven't had a chance to read every page of the application yet! Hmm...I'll have to see if there's anyone here in MN as I wouldn't be able to apply if I have to travel for a test! I did subscribe to their magazine though. Can't wait to see it!
Gretchen
Gretchen

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:29 pm

Shannon Fennell wrote:
And LJ... buck, buck, buck, buuuuuck albino (no chickens so accept this rabbit instead!)

Well...if you'd come on across the border and sit with me for my test... I get performance anxiety...
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:08 pm

Do you need another kick in the pants?

If you come here I can do it...

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:42 pm

Hmmmmm I wonder if there is anyone near my area??? I'd like to test as well. Shannon do you know of anyone on the upper east coast?
ChangingFaceDesigns
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:46 pm

http://www.facepaint.co.uk/

Check on the membership list. There might be one.

Back to top Go down

Post by jennvangogh Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:26 pm

what kind of test is it? I am curious it is exactly that you guys are chickening out of.
jennvangogh
jennvangogh

Number of posts : 225
Registration date : 2011-07-13

https://www.facebook.com/jennthefacepainter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:39 pm

Go to the website... the application is there in a PDF.

Basically a long form to fill out, and then you have to paint three basic faces. You have 10 minutes for each face, all full faces... one white base, one tiger (two colour blend) and one examiners choice which is a three colour blend (usually a sunset or something like it).

It isn't HARD just can be stressful. All they want is to see demonstration of basic techniques and ability to work to a basic standard.

Back to top Go down

Post by jennvangogh Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:27 am

So you are told what you have to paint? I choke on tests in person as well.. probably avoid that I guess. Cant they just watch you at an event chances are you demonstrate your skills faster and mroe relaxed there then knowing when you are being judged and second guessing every stroke then. What about submitting a video of you painting at an event or something or at home. Does it have to be in person?
jennvangogh
jennvangogh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:48 am

A member in good standing has to administer the test...they watch, time you and take photos, fill in their report and submit it to the committee. That's how it is done. They also want observe you working, see your kit and how you handle your models.

They aren't judging your work per se, the faces don't have to be original, or complicated, just done well enough to pass. They aren't unfair or super picky normally.

You know in advance what you need to paint - a white base which can be a clown, geisha, mime, etc. ; a tiger of at least two colours blended which demonstrates blending and ability to do good brush work; and a three colour blend.

Yes, it was surprizingly stressful... I mean 10 minutes is plenty of time for those faces but I was taking SOOOO long trying to make a perfect white base that I used up 8 minutes!! But I got through it.

Back to top Go down

Post by jennvangogh Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:54 am

What are the benefits to doing this test? Just to be apart of their club then? Magazine subscription?
jennvangogh
jennvangogh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:01 am

In the UK there are more benefits than there are for international members. They have insurance in the UK as part of the member benefits.

It is a professional association... being a member means that your work is of a certain level and guarantees clients that they will be getting artist that have been tested, have insurance and work to a code of conduct, etc. There is the quarterly magazine, jams, newsletters, annual conference, online directory, referrals, etc.

In the UK there are agencies and companies that will only hire FACE members.

It is up to you to decide the benefit to yourself as an international member. For me I look on it as a professional accreditation, recognition of my level of painting, a marketing tool, and a way to set myself apart from my competition.

Back to top Go down

Post by jennvangogh Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:07 am

Thanks for the info. I think I have maxed out my memberships for this year... might be starting a new job in Sept that will suck up all my free face painting time... but a part of me still wants to continue getting better and bigger as a company. Maybe this is something I will consider next year. Good luck to those who are going for it!!!
jennvangogh
jennvangogh

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:14 pm

Shannon Fennell wrote:Do you need another kick in the pants?

If you come here I can do it...

I welcome the Fennell kick in the pants...
It's just nerve wracking and I know I'll mess up by trying to get my bases "just right". If I could get up to Canada, I would...at least I know that there'd be a drink waiting for me when I got finished screwing up my test... Embarassed
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:06 pm

Hey... my first test was horrible. Really.

I had to do the white face first... the examiner was using her watch to time me. I started working on the base... the examiner said... that's 8 minutes, you've got two left... AND I WAS STILL DOING MY WHITE BASE! Ack! So I stopped and really quickly made it into a clown!

Then I started to paint my tiger... was just, JUST, starting to do the black and my model started to tear, badly... so I stopped painting and that was what was submitted as my tiger. The examiner made notes about the model tearing up... Sad

Then I had to so a sunset... that went better.

But even though there was 10 minutes per face and I could paint all of the above in about 5, I still was working on them when time was called!

And my first two models were, "mature" women, not kids, so getting the bases nice around the eyes was, ahem, a bit more work.

I was pretty sure I'd blown it. But I was passsed.

The annual MOT (renewal) requirement is just photos of the same designs done within the preceding 12 months - so any whiteface, tiger and three colour blend, just the photos, no test. That's for Advanced painters, I think the Level 1 painters only need to submit two of the three.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down