Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello & Help from South Carolina

3 posters

Go down

Hello & Help from South Carolina  Empty Hello & Help from South Carolina

Post by N2boykins Sat May 04, 2013 1:33 pm

Hello, I am from SC and needing much help! Here's the deal....In July, I am going with our church team to Peru on a mission trip. Last year one of the crafts stations set up was face painting. There are two ( a floater) of us this year at that station who will be new to Peru and face painting. The takeaway's from last years group are :
limited number of choice to maybe 6 or 7, 2 girls/2 boys/3 unisex (animals, etc)
stencils need to have sticky backing used a couple of times before using new one
one to two paint colors per sticky
use sponges
only have an hour to do maybe 50 to 75 kids x 4 days

We will be outside, temps are high 60's to 70's, very limited (almost none) water in a field. We will have to transport supplies from US to Peru and then daily by bus (hr's drive) via a backpack. I went to Hobby Lobby to look for supplies -had nothing, so I started searching web and got very overwhelmed as to what and who to buy from. Shocked

It is apparent that this site is full of users of every level that I am hoping that ya'll will be able to point me in the right direction on how to proceed with ordering supplies and general tips.

Oh, the last thing that you should know is I have never been on a mission trip (let alone to Peru), have no kids and not craftie! I would have signed up for games- duck, duck, goose but that team was already full. Very Happy

I welcome all help,
Cyndi

N2boykins

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-05-04

Back to top Go down

Hello & Help from South Carolina  Empty Re: Hello & Help from South Carolina

Post by Kris5115 Mon May 06, 2013 9:02 am

Hi and welcome!

What a great opportunity to go to Peru! Our family is planning on going on a missions trip with our church to Honduras in January. :-)

Sounds like you need some supplies and a bunch of practice before you go. I'd recommend checking out the Face Paint Forum Shop (see the colorful rectangle near the top of the page for a link). I'd recommend starting with a few rainbow cakes (like neon rainbow, carnival, orange/yellow colors, green/yellow colors, and pink/purple colors). This would allow you to do flowers, rainbows, snakes, flames, monsters, etc. and to quickly sponge on several colors at a time. I'd also recommend Wolfe white and Wolfe black for line work (outlining and such).

In the mean time, check out some youtube videos of face painting - Lisa Joy Young and Painted Party are a couple of good resources. And read and practice! There is a section here at the forum for newbies which is a great place to post photos and learn basic skills.
Kris5115
Kris5115

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by PaolaSunglow Tue May 07, 2013 5:54 am

Welcome N2boyskin.

If you have no much water i would suggest looking into starblend they are highly pigmented powders, fast to use and comfortable on the skin. I just found out you can use them with stencils.
Stencils do not stick. They are washable and reusable. See all these products in the forum shop above, they also have cheap lollipop swabs to apply these powder with. You will need some regular water activated black and white for lines.
Be aware i hand carry my paint when i travel oversea you might encounter difficulties at the customs specially if you say these are paints!!! Please use the word make up colors. They are not wet.
Most of all read a lot and research you tube see what most fit your experience and situation. I know a lot of artists that never draw before and they are excellent!
Ah one more thing if the weather gets too hot i would not suggest you take split cakes with you, i was told they turn into a dirty mush!
Good luck!!

cheers
PaolaSunglow
PaolaSunglow

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://www.sunglowfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 Tue May 07, 2013 8:27 am

Starblends do sound like a good option for use without much water. I wouldn't be worried about split cakes turning to mush when the expected temperatures are 60's and 70's. (Though I'm a little concerned about mine because when we go to Honduras we are expected the temps to be upper 90's.) The stencils are a flexible plastic like material that is just held in place with one hand while sponging (or brushing) on the color with the other hand. They are endlessly reusable. Glitter tattoo stencils are the ones with sticky backs.
Kris5115
Kris5115

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down