Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mom to Mom Sales

4 posters

Go down

Mom to Mom Sales Empty Mom to Mom Sales

Post by kingsmeadmama Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:11 pm

Has anyone ever been to a mom to mom sale? I'd love to hear about your experience.

for those of you who have no idea what the heck I'm talking about...

In my area, we have what are called mom to mom sales. Basically, moms pay to have a table and sell their gently used children's gear to other moms who pay a small fee to get into the sale.

Some of these sales offer tables to businesses, and I am toying with the idea of renting a table. The table at a M2M sale would not allow for actual painting, it would be strictly for promotion.

I know that when I personally attend an M2M sale, I skip the businesses because I am there to shop for cheap kids' clothes. That said, I have NEVER seen a face painter at a sale, and might have stopped to check it out. If

I'm wondering if anyone has ever attended a sale like this, and if it was worthwhile. The table rental fee is not much, so that isn't the concern. I'm more concerned with wasting my time. My family is very active, and time together is at a premium, so I have to choose activities very wisely. I'd love your thoughts.
kingsmeadmama
kingsmeadmama

Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Mom to Mom Sales Empty Re: Mom to Mom Sales

Post by veelux Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:29 pm

I went to some in small towns when my daughter was pregnant and everyone seemed to do quite well. If your prices are decent, people will buy good quality items. There are always the "Junkie" tables that get passed over, but we bought all kinds of stuff including lamps and dishes. There was lots of good stuff at thrift store prices. You could always take a photo album with your cards so the Moms and Grammas could see your work too.
veelux
veelux

Number of posts : 1464
Registration date : 2012-02-11

http://www.glitznglowz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Face Painting by Jessica Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:44 am

Oh dear Christina... I would not suggest you rent a table without being able to paint. As you know, I actually did the painting there last year and was paid to be there.

I would say you should take your family there to shop, and discreetly hand your cards to the vendor tables. Go with a painted face and give a card to every kid who asks where the face painting is.

Even better, rent a "mom" table and sell some old stuff with your face painted!
Face Painting by Jessica
Face Painting by Jessica

Number of posts : 644
Registration date : 2012-04-12

http://www.facepaintingbyjessica.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kingsmeadmama Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:04 pm

Thanks Jessica! The mompreneur showcase was this past weekend - it was CRAZY!!! - but that's a whole other thread Wink

I'm talking about the sales that are held, usually in churches. Where moms get tables to sell their baby gear/clothes. Usually, there are a few Avon /pampered chef/Tupperware etc.. reps at these sales. I was thinking of getting a table just to promote my business. I'd ideally like to get a display board, and hand out cards etc...
kingsmeadmama
kingsmeadmama

Back to top Go down

Post by Face Painting by Jessica Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:14 am

Oh, I actually painted at one of those too lol

I charged per face and made about $60, and handed out a bunch of cards. Let me tell you, I have not received a single referral from there.

HOWEVER, the last season's sale I refused, but offered to give them 100 coupons to put in their door prize bags. The coupons were for $10 off 1 hour booking or $25 off 2 hour booking. I did have one person out of 100 redeem.
Face Painting by Jessica
Face Painting by Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post by PrairiePainter Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:53 am

Maybe these sales aren't the best way to reach your target audience. Think about it, these women are out looking for a bargain possibly because they just like a good deal and prefer to buy second-hand or because they are lower income and can't afford to buy first-hand. Either way, neither group is likely to shell out the money required to hire a good face painter. Just a thought on why you might be striking out here.

You might have better luck with vendor fairs.
PrairiePainter
PrairiePainter

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2013-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Face Painting by Jessica Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:06 am

I think it's important to make your mark in your community, 70% of my current bookings are in town now and I worked my butt off to get that kind of exposure. I got in with the local golf course for their family events and I helped raise money for local families in distress.

I know Hamilton is much bigger than Georgetown, so it would probably be even harder to make your mark... I am literally the only face painter in Georgetown (with the exception of an art camp who puts soap in acrylic paint so it washes off the face easier).

You should market yourself to businesses who host staff holiday parties, and to clients who have the moula lol

Face Painting by Jessica
Face Painting by Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post by PrairiePainter Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:13 am

I'm not sure about other areas but one of the bigger towns nearby hosts a "Girls Night Out" event. For the price of admission attendees get a mini manicure, make-up and entry into prize drawings. Local vendors can rent booths to hawk their wares or services. THESE women have disposable income and IMO are a face painter target market.
PrairiePainter
PrairiePainter

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2013-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by kingsmeadmama Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:27 am

Lots to think about. For me, it's all about exposure, and getting my name out there. In my case, I have the money to spend on things like face painting BECAUSE I shop mom to mom sales. That said, the money we save pays for competitive hockey, not b-day parties for my kids.

I was also thinking that some of the vendors who are selling their $300 strollers might be good people to connect with.

In any case, I've missed the boat for the spring season. the sales are all happening this weekend, and next. I didn't really think of it for me until I saw all the signs on church lawns. I might give it a go in the fall, just to see Smile
kingsmeadmama
kingsmeadmama

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down