Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Snaz really that bad???

+21
ArtStylez
monelle
jlirie
Remex Wu
fantasiefacies
Gisrus
martha
Katurah
vegas mom
JBM
ambodyart
shadowdrawing
Tineke
PaintedFaces
contrachapado
ParTIA
mamakatrien
Perry Noia
artyfacesbyluz
debranewmanart
Kammy
25 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Is Snaz really that bad??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Snaz really that bad???

Post by ambodyart Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:09 pm

I might have to try the Snaz "electrics". I have been searching for neon colors with good coverage. Was starting to think it was fruitless. Anyone else use the "electric" Snaz colors?

Kammy- Is it not awful? I feel so guilty when I order new paints I do not really need or new products I will not use on clients but simply use for fun. My wish list is so long! In my opinion there is nothing better than tearing(or neatly cutting) open a shipment of new body art supplies. I completely regress into a child and have to "play with my new toys" immediately. I feel every mother is entitled to one(at least) hobby and if it is something she can do with her children all the better. I recently snapped the single best photo ever of my 5 year old daughter . I had just painted a kitty muzzle on her and it just ended up being adorable. I take my paints to all of our family events and paint anyone who wants it, simply because I love doing it. Enjoy your art and exploring the different paints available. Each brand is different to work with and like any other product everyone has their favorites.

To me face painting is fun. My kids will beg me to get out my paints and sometimes i really want to say "no" , but one day they will stop asking to be painted and be too "grown up" for it. So I say don't feel guilty. If everyone is fed and cared for and you can afford to buy supplies enjoy it. Be grateful for it. Have fun with it. sunny
ambodyart
ambodyart

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2012-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by martha Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:35 pm

The "Electric" Snaz are metallics not neons. Don't want t steer you wrong.
martha
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:44 pm

Electric and Sparkle Snaz colours are VERY pretty, but they are relatively transluscent. Unless that is the look you are going for, I like to mix them with a similar regular colour to get the shine plus more opacity. The thing to remember with Snazaroo compared to many of the other paints is that even when it is dry, you cannot layer on top of it, the moisture of the wet paint will reactivate it and it will be wet paint all over again. The waxier paints let you keep going over it, but Snaz will keep mixing with whatever you add. It is why it is so much easier to blend, but it really throws some painters for a loop when they are used to the other kinds. It also means that since I use nothing but Snaz, some of the techniques taught in classes are completely unusable for me because they won't work with Snaz.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by ambodyart Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:35 pm

@ Perry- Thanks for the insight. I have VERY limited experience with Snaz. I used to paint for an amusement park and we ran out of white(they use Wolfe) so they replaced it with Snaz. It was AWFUL! I now understand it was not necessarily that I did not like working with the Snaz as it was the Snaz with the Wolfe.
ambodyart
ambodyart

Registration date : 2012-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Gisrus Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:18 am

Here in Ireland hot weather is NEVER an issue, so no melting paints.

I like SNAZ for sponging bases, except any of the greens. I made a rainbow cake using SNAZ sparkle white, sparkle pink and sparkle red for sponging butterfly bases and it's definitely a favourite. Sparkle white/sparkle sky blue as a split cake sponges on nicely as a base for snowflakes or a rainbow cake of sparkle white, sparkle sky blue and electric blue for a butterfly base.

I always use SNAZ white for zombies and skeletons, it goes on so easily, and SNAZ black for skeleton/zombie eyes. What mum wants to try getting any other black off eyes at the end of the day. Sad

My all time favourite is a split cake of sparkle yellow/sparkle orange. This makes the most gorgeous base for tigers.

Basically, for me, SNAZ is great for bases but I'd rather use Wolfe or DFX for line work and TAG for one stroke. At the moment I'm using a lot of DFX metallic purple for line work as Irish kids tend to be paler than pale pale and black can sometimes look a little harsh.

To save yourself some money check out face painting tutorials on youtube and get yourself a practice head and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

sunny

Gisrus

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2010-07-26

http://www.facepainting-ireland.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:56 am

That's the conclusion I've already come to, Gisrus. I like Snaz for bases and blending, but prefer Superstar or Wolfe for line work. Smile I don't have a practice head, but I'm practising every day despite that. My poor visitors get the brushes brandished at them on a fairly regular basis. Laughing Warm weather not an issue here, either, as I'm just across the water from you in Scotland.

I need to learn how to make split cakes. Time to watch some more tutorials, methinks!

That sparkle white/pink/red sounds lovely...might have to try that out.
Kammy
Kammy

Number of posts : 1408
Registration date : 2012-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Gisrus Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:52 am

Split cakes are a piece of cake. Very Happy Pardon the pun.

Check this:

http://www.facepaintforum.com/t569-2-methods-of-making-rai

I haven't read this thread all the way through so I may be repeating something that someone has said but I always work on a tray so that I don't have bits of face paint everywhere.

Also, if you are using SNAZ and you want to get the inner tray out (the part that actually holds the disc of paint) to put into a pallette just pop the paint into the freezer for about 15 mins and you should be able to prise it out from the blue holder with a knife fairly easily.

http://www.facepaintingireland.com/cart/index.php?route=product/category&path=63

Happy cutting.

sunny

Gisrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:47 am

I just wish there was someone who sold Snaz rainbow cakes... I hate having to buy full size colours of everything to put into them and because of the way that Snaz dries after repeated use, you can't make splits with an old cake (it's too crumbly). I have a small rainbow that I make with the little sparkle palette that you get from Michael's and a larger rainbow from regular pink, yellow, teal, purple.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:53 am

Perry - funny you should say that, because I had a 4-colour Snaz rainbow cake arrive through the post two days ago! There's someone intermittently selling them on eBay. Smile

Gisrus - thanks for the info, that thread makes it look so easy! Hmm. Might have to experiment, methinks.... I did just treat myself to 4 of the Cameleon Colourblock one-stroke cakes, however, so I'm going to have some fun with those!

I need to stop ordering face painting kit. Can someone tell me how, please?
Kammy
Kammy

Number of posts : 1408
Registration date : 2012-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Gisrus Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:44 am

I've managed to revive some of my old Snaz paints for rainbow cakes.

Just crumble the paint up and then spray with a small amount of water, enough to make a very thick paste and then add it to your rainbow cake containers. I use a pen knife to press and smooth it in. I then leave it uncovered over night to dry out a little.

sunny

Gisrus

Back to top Go down

Post by fantasiefacies Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:01 am

the only problems that I have with snaz. is the paint is not good in humid weather like where I paint. It melts and gets gooey-unworkable. also the colors are not bright, so when I am doing a photo shoot, sometimes they can look shear with the lighting...unless that is the look I am going for.
fantasiefacies
fantasiefacies

Registration date : 2012-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Remex Wu Thu May 30, 2013 1:34 am

JBM wrote:I traded out all my Snaz - for me it was about melting issues to start with but then when I branched out and started trying other brands there was no way I could go back. I hear it is safer but then I wonder - I mean different people will react to different things and there are still reactions to Snaz. As far as staining, I just warn people with pale skins that certain colours may stain and give them clear removal instructions - also if a fair child wanted for example a full face hulk I would check with the parent and warn of possible staining.
I started with 100% Snaz but now I have none and I would only use it if I was given it.

Hi i have the same problem of using Snaz, melting... do u ever find out how to slove / prevent the problem, some of my paints like mud, hard to use...
Remex Wu
Remex Wu

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-05-30

http://marcotomato.wix.com/fxstudio

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:25 am

had a chance to try out some fresh snaz cakes recently, including some sparkle colors i hadn't used since several years ago.

regular white was still a pain to get solid coverage with a large brush, too streaky. the regular colors seemed pretty bright.

i was pleasantly surprised by the sparkle lilac, it seemed richer in color and easier to load and paint with than i remember. and sparkle pink was practically neon in color, and made a pretty clean small heart.

wondering if they've improved the formula?
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by monelle Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:02 pm

My very first time trying face painting, I used Snazaroo white from a local art supply store. The coverage was so awful, and the experience such a disappointment, that I swore I would never buy Snazaroo paint again (and I haven't), and almost gave up face paiting altogether. That said, however, Snazaroo has an excellent reputation for product safety. Also, I just watched Ashlea Henson on youtube doing a clown face exclusively with Snazaroo paints, and it's fabulous. Not sure if she is painting everything over again, or if it's just the white that is questionable ... sorry I'm answering this 3 years late Smile
monelle
monelle

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2013-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:41 pm

yes, she does a great job with snaz, even her linework is impressive. her mardi gras mask with electric purple, green and gold is beautiful.
jlirie
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by monelle Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:34 pm

Jlirie, I will check it out ... I love her designs. Thanks! Smile
monelle
monelle

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2013-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post by ArtStylez Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:17 pm

Sorry for the bump but I am glad to have found this thread.  I was getting nervous that Snaz was not a brand to get but I researched and went for it.  I did start getting other brands for other colors, like Tag, Global, and FX.  I don't know how the formula was for snz back then but for 2016, I like it, I haven't done anything bad with it.  

Here is one I did on friday with snaz.

Is Snaz really that bad??? - Page 2 13439122_583992908438759_7616380314121370092_n
ArtStylez
ArtStylez

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2016-05-27

http://www.art-stylez.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:19 pm

that's great line work, is that snaz black?

the one issue with snaz that i find is kind of a deal breaker is that it flakes off after awhile.

if you want a design to last longer you'll need to go with another brand for the base like paradise, or even ruby red.
jlirie
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by ArtStylez Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:02 pm

Thanks. Yep, Snaz black. I do have Tag for black but I didn't want to open it yet til the snaz was running out lol

I am going to build my kit with better brands slowly as I run out of snaz, I figure, I am starting out and I don't have many events/gigs, so might as well run it out on the smaller gigs. It was a small birthday of about 8 girls from 6:30p-9pm, so I'm guessing the parents will wash it off right away after getting home from the party. From that time period, it didn't flake off, dunno if it was cause the girls moving around so much and sweat activating it to keep it moist looking.

Ill look into the paradise and ruby red. I did read tag has vibrant colors too, so was looking towards that brand too.
ArtStylez
ArtStylez

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2016-05-27

http://www.art-stylez.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:25 am

yes, tag and several other paraffin based face paints like cameleon and kryvaline have vibrant colors, more so than paradise. paradise has a nice smooth feel on the skin which i like, though.

i have some of the ruby red pearl colors, and surprisingly, they are not as bright as snaz sparkle colors, not sure how their regular colors look.

with so many brands, and opinions as to how they work, it's probably good to get a few cakes from different brands to see which textures you like, and how they perform.
jlirie
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by CreativeBoundless Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:17 pm

I feel that snaz isn't THAT bad, but it's not greatest either.

Snazaroo is a great paint to start off with. They're a way better choice then the facepainting pencils. Also, they are actually good for bases and that's it.

However, I feel they are WAYY over priced for their not so great quality paint, colours aren't that vibrant NOR have the capability to show the best detail.

It's like painting a picture, it doesn't matter if you are the best artist in the world; quality determines the end result.

If you are looking for paints and you want to your further your skill set, DON'T USE THEM. If you are practicing or your kids wanted to try them, then that's the best use for them!

Jenn
www.creativeboundless.com
Painter from Canada <3

CreativeBoundless

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2016-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post by saloner Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:41 am

They have a great brush that I buy. but that is all. The colors seem to be dull and dry. So I don't have any snaz colors for the paint Love Snazaroo name. They have been around for a long time, I believe they are approved by the F.D. A. and for me that is very important.(food and drug administration: may be in the U.S.?????) You will have to check on that tho.
She DOES sound to be a bit of a snob. Quality is what is important, and if you like Snazaroo paints then they are PERFECT for you.
saloner
saloner

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2010-04-18

https://www.facebook.com/facepaintnmama1

Back to top Go down

Post by LucciPucci Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:03 pm

I admit to not having read through this thread, but thought you'd like to see this article on what they found from testing 10 children's face paint kits (Snaz was on the list). I hate to think what they'd find in other "professional" face paint, but toxicity would be my reason for not using it.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2015/10/does-your-halloween-facepaint-have-toxic-chemicals-it

LucciPucci

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2015-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:46 pm

Everything on our planet is contaminated to some degree with something.
While I do not use Snaz, I understand they are the ONLY face paint with FDA approval. All the face paints I use are FDA compliant; Global, MAC, TAG, Kryolan, Cameleon, Superstar, FAB, DFX.
The reason I do not use a lot of Snaz in my kit, is that it slowly flakes off, and the colours are not as vibrant 20 minutes after I paint. They are glycerin based, so they are excellent for bases, not so great for line work. There is a face painter in Grand Prairie, Alberta who successfully uses Snaz for everything, and she is wonderful.
xoxo
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by saloner Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:47 am

I couldn't find the product list.....of which ones have the highest levels? Where did you find it...that also means Snazaroos name.
saloner
saloner

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2010-04-18

https://www.facebook.com/facepaintnmama1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next