Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

best way to clean brushes? what's your system?

+47
SarahKReece
Jobena1
a face painting mom
Shiranshoku
spacerwoman
Tineke
ashovoxo
anniel
02Skeith
Miss Ronnie
Faces by Ainslie
1HappyNut
fesspenter
acarreon
elantaura
bee
martha
courtneybarker4
Lynnie
Psalmbook
artsyality
TheSparklingLady
EerinArts
Metzpah
len sherrard
modernmagik
Dawny
CreateFaces
TheKillerBurrito
Clayton
melisadill
LillyW
Sweet Loretta
Fanie
katyabbott
Rosenberg-Cox
Winger1200
WyndyO
Just Jenny
SuzySparkles
JBax
Lady Jayde
Judy
Ashley Pickin
Criss
LoneWolf
aprilmoonflower
51 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

best way to clean brushes? what's your system? Empty best way to clean brushes? what's your system?

Post by aprilmoonflower Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:26 pm

I am not sure I am cleaning my brushes correctly. I am using soap and water obviously but it seems like it takes FOREVER! What's the best way to clean and sanitize them? Also, does anyone use barbicide to disinfect? I am pretty sure I am going to get some..(former hairstylist in me!)
aprilmoonflower
aprilmoonflower

Number of posts : 713
Registration date : 2009-08-28

Back to top Go down

best way to clean brushes? what's your system? Empty Re: best way to clean brushes? what's your system?

Post by LoneWolf Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:38 pm

Normally just rinse them and letting them air dry. My makeup brushes get washed with a soap or dish wash and sometimes they all get covered in balsam and left for half an hour before rinsing.
If on set, a alcohol wipe.
LoneWolf
LoneWolf

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2008-10-04

http://www.lone-wolf.dk

Back to top Go down

best way to clean brushes? what's your system? Empty Re: best way to clean brushes? what's your system?

Post by Guest Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:59 pm

I wash them with Ivory soap, then rinse, and saturate in 70% isopropyl alcohol...and let them dry completely before using again, while I am working. At home, I wash them all with shampoo, and let air dry before putting back in the kit.

When doing "make-up" I use Parian Spirit for cleaning my brushes. It is too expensive for FP and doesn't work very well to get the water based pigments out of the brushes, but great for oil based stuff. Again, I wash all brushes with shampoo when I get home (and the natural hairs get a little conditioner too!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Criss Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:50 am

Have you guys heard of a new product that's just been demo'd in the states for cleaning brushes? I can't remember the name of it, I have a sample and will get the name tomorrow. Apparently it comes in wipes, or a spray and you can use it to clean your brushes (sanitizes them as well,) even your paints if you wish. It's being marketed to makeup artists but would work really well for us i think.

Anyone heard of it? Or how effective it is? I will get the name tom like i said, but i'm to tired tonight Sleep
Criss
Criss

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:05 pm

They were demo'ing that (or practically the same thing! cause it came in spray and wipes) at the last Make-Up Artist Trade Show I attended in Pasadena... I wasn't impressed.

It did not actually get the brush CLEAN... there was still crud in the base of the loofe and while it may have been "santized" it was not clean.

I think it is more marketing than "cleaning" IYKWIM?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Pickin Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:29 pm

I use the davinci soap... and alcohol...
Ashley Pickin
Ashley Pickin

Number of posts : 838
Registration date : 2009-06-27

http://www.picnpaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Judy Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:08 am

Anyone use the 'flushable' type of of brush cleaner. Fresh water comes out, you swirl the brush around and push button and the dirty water disappears in a holding container. I think it's battery operated.
Judy
Judy

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-08-01

http://www.facefx.info

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:14 am

I know people who have tried those Judy...generally, they ended up switching back to what they used before. The reservoir is not very big and the water doesn't stay clear when flushed as black paint for instance clings to the plastic of the container...

Back to top Go down

Post by Judy Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:17 am

Thanks for the insight Shannon..... just another gadget that I don't REALLY need! lol
Judy
Judy

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-08-01

http://www.facefx.info

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:20 am

And there are SOOOO many!!! best way to clean brushes? what's your system? Icon_lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:08 am

I've recently started washing them on a soap bar (not ivory, but I can't remember...Lever 2000?) and they come out soooo much cleaner that when I used the so called brush cleaners on the market. The soap even got the staining out of the bristles! Then I rinse twice. I don't use alcohol while I paint mainly because the smell of it makes me nauseaus but I do use it at the end of gig cleanup.
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilmoonflower Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:21 am

I am going to try the bar of soap trick! thanks!
aprilmoonflower
aprilmoonflower

Number of posts : 713
Registration date : 2009-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:15 pm

I've heard about using baby shampoo. Any thoughts?
JBax
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:13 pm

I've tried it and it gets the paint out...but it doesn't do too hot a job on getting the staining out, kwim? I figure it's made mild for tender heads, so maybe my paint is tougher that the shampoo?
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:57 am

So the Ivory Soap takes care of the staining?

What about the staining on my sponges??? Anything for that? I just figured it was a fact of life.
JBax
JBax

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:02 am

Ok... nevermind... just found the sponge thread. Ivory soap is what I need. Rolling Eyes
JBax
JBax

Back to top Go down

Post by SuzySparkles Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:21 pm

I use Brush bath from Sillyfarm, works great.
SuzySparkles
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Just Jenny Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:26 pm

I love Ivory. remember to condition your brushes afterwards with something like Masters.

My 2 favorite cleaners are Ivory bar soap and the best house hold disinfectant is white vinegar.

Jenny

Just Jenny

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2008-10-16

http://www.JustJennyFaceArt.Com

Back to top Go down

Post by WyndyO Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:40 pm

I am a flip flopper trying to find my favorite. I like the pink soap and have also done the liquid Ivory. I have used the SillyFarm brush bath too - but was concerned about the lavendar and tea tree oil - my red headed daughter always gets irritated by lavendar products.
WyndyO
WyndyO

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://www.wowfactorypaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:48 pm

Ivory bar soap to wash brushes and sponges.

70% isopropyl alcohol to sanitize while working.

NOTHING in the rinse water.

Back to top Go down

Post by Winger1200 Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:51 am

I use old Masters brush cleaner & conditioner on my sponges & brushes with lots of rinse water to make sure no residue is left in them.
Susan
Winger1200
Winger1200

Number of posts : 670
Registration date : 2008-11-15

http://www.SusanLeeBillings,com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosenberg-Cox Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:35 pm

I use baby shampoo on site then wash with ivory at home.

I have to wash my brushes between each child. I drop my brushes in a tray with the baby shampoo and water. (All my brushes are plastic handled as wood would fall apart after awhile). When I get a break or my helper will clean them and set them aside to dry. I do not resue my sponges. Once used on one child, they are thrown away. As you can guess, I go through a lot of sponges.

I have hand sanitizer for the picky parents but I am not required to use an alcohol product. I am happy about that because all my new brushes (another impulse buy) were expensive and alcohol did dry out my former brushes. Little bits started falling out. I do not want a repeat.
Rosenberg-Cox
Rosenberg-Cox

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-08-27

http://www.facepainting.coxmanor.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:58 pm

Are using cosmetic wedges since you have to throw out the sponges?

Back to top Go down

Post by katyabbott Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:12 pm

ok this will seem like a silly question - do you pour the isopropyl alcohol over the brushes to sanitize or swish the brush in a cup with the alcohol?
Thanks!

katyabbott

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2009-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Just Jenny Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:27 pm

Rosenberg-Cox wrote:I use baby shampoo on site then wash with ivory at home.

I have to wash my brushes between each child. I drop my brushes in a tray with the baby shampoo and water. (All my brushes are plastic handled as wood would fall apart after awhile). When I get a break or my helper will clean them and set them aside to dry. I do not resue my sponges. Once used on one child, they are thrown away. As you can guess, I go through a lot of sponges.

I have hand sanitizer for the picky parents but I am not required to use an alcohol product. I am happy about that because all my new brushes (another impulse buy) were expensive and alcohol did dry out my former brushes. Little bits started falling out. I do not want a repeat.

OMG, you throw away your sponges!!!!! I want to work behind you, I'd be taking them home with me and washing 'em to reuse. This must bring up your cost per face a lot.

Of course, I guess that's a really nice thing knowing that your face is being painted with a new sponge. I can see where parents would really like that.

Jenny

Just Jenny

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2008-10-16

http://www.JustJennyFaceArt.Com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next