Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ben Nye Lumierre Palette

5 posters

Go down

Ben Nye Lumierre Palette Empty Ben Nye Lumierre Palette

Post by tamarielpaints Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:17 pm

I'm debating making this my next big purchase, but I'd LOVE some feedback first.

1) Do you use one smoothie blender per color, or do you use one eyeshadow applicator per kid?
2) Are these LOOSE powders? Or are they more pressed?
3) Has anyone tried SF CREAM BN Lumierre palette? If yes, what did you think of it?
4) I'm mostly interested in using these for super fast eye designs. How many eye designs can you get out of the palette?
5) How simple is removal? Baby oil? Soap and water? Just water?
6) How 'sweatproof' are they?
7) Anything else I should know?
tamarielpaints
tamarielpaints

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2010-12-07

http://www.tamarielpaints.com

Back to top Go down

Ben Nye Lumierre Palette Empty Re: Ben Nye Lumierre Palette

Post by barbb919 Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:21 pm

I have the ben nye lux powders they are separate I only have 3 colors, i love them...the white is amazing i have red and blue also..got them for the 4th oh july cause its hot and humid here in the summer and they really give a shimmer over the paint...marcella had a vid on the 4th of july designs and she uses the powders..
barbb919
barbb919

Number of posts : 2109
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://tappysfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:36 pm

I have one of the cream Ben Nye Lumiere wheels... it is cream make-up, just nice shimmery colours. The green and blue linger and are hard to wash off. I would not use it for face painting. It needs to be set with powder to hold without smearing, same as any cream (oil based) make-up. Remove with make-up remover.

The powders are pretty much pressed powder eyeshadows - very lush and heavily pigmented ones. They last a long time - no idea how many applications you could get out of a palette... I've got eye shadows I've been using for years, but some colours I go through one a season at the theatre. Clean up like any powder off the skin - soap and water.

Neither is any more sweatproof than any similar product. The powders hold pretty well, the creams if set with powder will hold very well.

Whether you want to us one applicator per colour, one for each colour family or one for the whole lot is up to you... it is dry application.

And it is not a Silly Farm brand. They just carry Ben Nye products like thousands of other retailers (shop around a bit - you may find it cheaper somewhere else). http://www.bennye.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by contrachapado Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:58 pm

tamarielpaints wrote:I'm debating making this my next big purchase, but I'd LOVE some feedback first.

1) Do you use one smoothie blender per color, or do you use one eyeshadow applicator per kid?
2) Are these LOOSE powders? Or are they more pressed?
3) Has anyone tried SF CREAM BN Lumierre palette? If yes, what did you think of it?
4) I'm mostly interested in using these for super fast eye designs. How many eye designs can you get out of the palette?
5) How simple is removal? Baby oil? Soap and water? Just water?
6) How 'sweatproof' are they?
7) Anything else I should know?

I would definitely buy the Lumiere palette again! It's one of my favorite kit doodads. I had been using the smoothie blenders, and continue to if I'm just painting myself, but on kids I use one lollipop per kid. Denise directed me to a place where you can get them fairly cheap and they're reusable. They are a pressed powder. The palette will last you a loooong time. Some colors I use more than others, so there are some that pretty much just sit there. I've swapped them out for some others (refill size) that I actually use. You can use just soap and water to remove them, but I've found they have more sticking power than regular paint. It takes a little more work to get it off. Haven't tried baby oil, but I'm sure that would work great. The powders are quite sweatproof. Once it's on, you can't even tell it's there. I think that answered all your questions. I give the palette a big thumbs-up!!
contrachapado
contrachapado

Number of posts : 751
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by 1HappyNut Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:34 am

I have the Ben Nye Lumiere Luxe loose powder. It's the same product as the palette, but loose.
It is easier to get a wet application that stays on longer and is a smoother look. I have about 6 of them, which comes to the near the same cost as the kit or more, but I believe I get more out of each container, and I can pick the colours I want. Plus, I believe they are like Star Blends in that once you use the pressed powder palette wet, you can't really go back.
They are very highly pigmented, and blend into one another seamlessly. If you want to make purple, you mix the magenta and blue. Depending on how much blue, or how much magenta you use, it will make one of the purples sold in the line, etc. I've seen that in action. It's really neat to see them blended together and become completely another colour.
The Iced Gold is one of my favorites. Imagine fairy dust glitter as an eyeshadow! My daughter went as the goddess, Athena, for Halloween, and we painted it on her skin all over. She had an ethereal glow.

I think they sell refills for the pressed palette, so you could refill as you finish off the most popular colours. Or swap them out for others you like better. I am considering the palette in the future, to save kit space and for outdoor events where loose powder would be an issue.

I wore the iced gold on my eyelids today as part of a Valentine's Day design, and it stayed on great, despite my forgetful touching... mind you, that was a wet application.

Good luck on your decision.

It would be an awesome base behind teen/adult eye designs.
1HappyNut
1HappyNut

Number of posts : 632
Registration date : 2011-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:17 am

I feel like I should work for Ben Nye because I've been talking about them so much lately...but I think they are a great tool for the following reasons:

They feel better on the face than face paint (to be fair, I haven't had paradise or other softer paints on my face) you don't get that cracking/pulling/itching feeling like you do with solid paints. That makes them particularly nice for eye designs...however, they are not quicker except that you can apply wet paint over them a little sooner than you can with a base paint. These aren't like Starblends where you can do a whole face in a few seconds.

They can be used to set paint on the lids so your clients can blink much easier and the paint won't crease as much.

You can use them to enhance or shade other colors. I've used them on top of other paints to smooth out and deepen the shade underneath like I did on my "photo shoot" pictures. They also blend easily with each other with no overlap lines.

You can use them as eyeshadow on girls to enhance crown designs with no flinching or seeping accidents you might get with wet paint.

I've used them on young children who would normally be sponge and brush adverse. Like I made a small butterfly shape on a little girl eyes and then used a soft colored one-stroke to make the wings on the outside away from her eyes. Much easier than trying to sponge a rainbow on her.

Teens and ladies who might think that face paint is for kids don't mind putting pretty eye shadow on.

I like the sheer nature of it under delicate designs like flowers and black swirls.

It's more heat/sweat resistant than paint.

As far as applicators, I think it would be nice to have a lollipop blender (.60 cents) for each color because they clean up so well and they fit well in the eye socket. The velour Smoothie Blender is nice texture but too expensive ($5.00) to have for each color.

They do flake a bit especially being taken in and out of my kit but I've been able to just crush the flakes a bit with the applicator and still use them. There is a little sponge cover in the kit that I would keep that will help protect it.

I've gotten a lot of use from them. They go a long way. I'll load the applicator and then start where I want it darkest and then feather it out. One load is enough for a whole eye design.

The biggest drawback is the cost. I paid $60 but I really think this one kit will last me a whole season. Like others have said, I can get refills ($8.00) if I run out.

I don't know if you've see this, but this is a video that we put together make two different styles of eye designs with the Ben Nye Powders:

https://youtu.be/yVcikEg9EBw
Denise Cold
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down