Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Body and Face Paint at Burning Man Help!

5 posters

Go down

Body and Face Paint at Burning Man Help! Empty Body and Face Paint at Burning Man Help!

Post by tattoogoddess Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:23 pm

So I am tackling the job of doing body painting and face paint at Burning Man Festival in Nevada.

I have a air brush machine but was told it will dry up way to quick out there so that is out of the question.

So Here is the deal I need a paint that will-
Hold up under the elements, It is about 100 or so during the day
Last through sweating
Easy to work with
Great color pay off ( I have hear Chromacakes are not very strong)
UV or glow in the dark paints also awesome

Any suggestions?

tattoogoddess

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Body and Face Paint at Burning Man Help! Empty Re: Body and Face Paint at Burning Man Help!

Post by TheGildedCat Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:31 pm

Sounds like a lot of fun. Unfortunately, I've seen lots of pics of BM body painting using regular household spray paint and stencils. I think airbrush using an alcohol-based airbrush makeup would be best, but I've never worked with alcohol based makeup in 100F+ heat before.
TheGildedCat
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Body and Face Paint at Burning Man Help! Empty Re: Body and Face Paint at Burning Man Help!

Post by tattoogoddess Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:30 pm

oh my cany say I have ever seen that before.

tattoogoddess

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:20 am

TempTu alcohol based body paint applied with paintbrushes. Will last the day and maybe even up to seven, can't really be sweated off, and the black platinum would look killer in a tribal design. Perhaps glitter glue, paint brush and neon glitter woud be a bonus as well. As for 'durable' paints, theatrical paints may work best (graftoban) but remmeber the skin needs to breathe so safe super durable paints other than those two I mentioned are hard simply because skin sheds and needs to breathe AND if you use household chemicals and spray paints, that is beyond unhealthy for the skin and lungs and some of the chemicals can be absorbed through the skin (liver ends up being non-too pleased with that!). Just sayin'. Good luck and happy experimenting! Maybe someone else has had experience with this and has better news!
Mehndi Masala
Mehndi Masala

Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2010-12-04

http://www.winnipeghenna.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tattoogoddess Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:17 am

I can't use anything with glitter. Glitter is "Moop" matter out of place. Meaning someone at the end has to go and pick up EVERY piece of that glitter before the land contract can be renuined for the next year. So yea no or minimal flaky paint to I guess I should say.

I will check into temtu. Are you talking the air brush makeup or do they have a actuall body paint line?

tattoogoddess

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:04 am

Just to be clear - I was NOT advocating using spray paint. Seeing the pics shocked me just as much as anyone on this forum would be!! I meant it as a contrast that anything you use - lasting all day or not, would be better.
TheGildedCat
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by leapinglizards Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:58 am

Temptu Dura or Dura Platinum inks (temptupro.com) or EBA's Endura paints. Both cheaper in quantity. If painting large areas, I would get a spray gun as well (Paint OUTSIDE and NO FLAMES where you are working) for the bases, Get a gallon or two of 99% alcohol for cleaning and thinning as needed. Have an ultrasonic cleaner to drop nozzles etc in as needed, and spare nozzles to swap out on air brushes if you need to do many rapidly. Temptu alcohol pallets are great for hand detail work.

If they don't RUB them, they can last days.

leapinglizards

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2009-10-31

http://www.livecanvasart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:26 pm

Having been to Burning Man and having lots of friends who go - some very experienced with makeup most go with Wolfe FX. The Alcohol Activated aka hand painted tattoo paint makeups are good but expensive for Burning Man's need of painting very large areas, and you have to use 99% alcohol so another thing to haul when compared with more available water. So most go with good durable water based Wolfe Face Art and FX makeup.

There is an airbrush body paint camp. I am pretty sure they have a group on Tribe. I'll check I know one group I am a member of discuss Burning Man body painting.

For those who don't realize one can not haul in lots of extras, this is a sleep on the ground, tolerate sand in the wind, blazing sun and carrying all your supplies in your backpack event.
Sweet Loretta
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down