Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Expiry date for paint?

+6
Lady Jayde
Metina
glendaoneill
aprilmoonflower
Ashley Pickin
Judy
10 posters

Go down

Expiry date for paint? Empty Expiry date for paint?

Post by Judy Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:27 pm

Speaking of marketing tools I'm not sure if this is just another one or not. Some FP companies suggest that you use the paint within 1 year- 18 months. Is there an expiry date on paint? Most of you probably do so much painting that your paint never gets that old anyway.

Thanks

Judy
Judy
Judy

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-08-01

http://www.facefx.info

Back to top Go down

Expiry date for paint? Empty Re: Expiry date for paint?

Post by Ashley Pickin Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:32 pm

hmmm... I've had a thing of black that I know I've had at least two years... and it seems the same to me... but I'll probly throw it out if I don't use it up this year... I'm pretty sure that most things have a shelf life, that's just the nature of products.
Ashley Pickin
Ashley Pickin

Number of posts : 838
Registration date : 2009-06-27

http://www.picnpaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilmoonflower Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:15 pm

I don't see how it would go bad if it's water based? (oils go rancid)
aprilmoonflower
aprilmoonflower

Number of posts : 713
Registration date : 2009-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by glendaoneill Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:49 pm

I was under the impression that opened paint can lose anti-bacterial properties if used after the manufacturer's recommended expiry. Can't remember where I read this.
Some paints are more than others.

Glenda
glendaoneill
glendaoneill

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2009-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilmoonflower Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:33 pm

what is anti bacterial about paint? (just curious, I really know nothing about paint!)
aprilmoonflower
aprilmoonflower

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:24 pm

I can't say for sure about all these questions posed but do know that Snaz will loose its pop after a while. You can add a bit of glycerin(and really just a bit) that you get at a pharmacy will give it a bit of life.

I would say if you have some colors that lie around a lot, trade them or use them for your practice. You'll be amazed what you'll discover. I had some complexion pink of Snaz(peach skin color) that I NEVER used and started using it up when teaching spiderman instead of my precious white. It really looked quite nice as Spiderman's eyes.

If you have colors that you want to use up, list them and ask for suggestions.
Metina
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:55 pm

April, Snazaroo paints have antibacterial agents built into them.
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilmoonflower Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:19 pm

ah, I see. what is the ingredient that makes it anti bacterial though? (I will have to check into it and if they have an ingredient list too for those with allergies..) I'll post back if I find out! Or if anyone knows post it here!
aprilmoonflower
aprilmoonflower

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:22 pm

Definitely! Check the Snazaroo site. Gary is just about as prolific a writer as any out there, you're bound to find the answers to all of you questions on the site!
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by glendaoneill Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:52 am

I think maybe Heather Timmons said something in a past thread about parabenes in the paint. I'll try and find it.

Glenda

EDIT:
Here is the thread I was looking for. Lone wolf and Heather both mention it.

http://www.facepaintforum.com/general-face-painting-f1/face-paint-recall-t588.htm

Last edited by glendaoneill on Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : found the thread!)
glendaoneill
glendaoneill

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:23 am

I try to avoid parabenes!

Smell and look at your paint. If it smells and look/fell different than usual, it has gone bad. Else it is fine. I don't think I have ever thrown a facepaint away because it has gone bad. (and some I have for many years). I just let them dry out between use.
LoneWolf
LoneWolf

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2008-10-04

http://www.lone-wolf.dk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:29 pm

I've got 12 year old Kryolan and 9 year old Snaz... and that doesn't make me a bad person does it??? The Kryolan is in my little split cakes now (except for the yellow that crumbled into a useless mess) and the Snaz are the yucky colours that are in my workshop/theatre use palettes...

The anti-bacterial in the paints is just to stop mould from growing - it does nothing to stop the paints being contaminated by other things like viruses, irritants, chemicals....

Back to top Go down

Post by glendaoneill Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:45 am

Thanks, Shannon for that info.

Glenda
glendaoneill
glendaoneill

Back to top Go down

Post by Dynamike Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:38 pm

I would not consider paint expiring. If it did, the manufactures would notify a date to prevent any mishaps.
Dynamike
Dynamike

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2009-09-28

http://www.dynamikemagic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by leapinglizards Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:42 pm

I was a theatrical makeup artist for years and pretty much all makeup, water, cream, oil or fat based will go bad.

As someone said, Smell is a bit indicator, but dating your paint when you put it into use would be a good idea for your own purposes.

Dry makeup, as in dry pancake, will probably last longer than anything.

The makeups that are dry-ish, Wolfe for instance, should last a long time depending on how it is treated. Ie- do you paint with zero contamination, or do you allow a brush to go back to the paint after it has touched someone's face. Do you keep it cool. Do you make sure it is dry before covering it up. Do you clean and sterilize the inside of the lids etc.

Wet cake makeups Ie Kryolan aquacolor, is next.

Liquid makeups will have the shortest shelf lives of water based products. (I really would toss em after a year if they have been opened and/or contaminated in any way.)

Theatrical cream makeups can hang around for a couple years if A- sterilized, B- kept cool, C- kept dry and sealed. Again smell will give you a good idea what's going on.

Rubber mask grease paint if not refrigerated should be made fresh when needed, (Mix dry cake ground up with castor oil) or tossed if not used up within a year or less. Because it has castor oil in it and can go rancid fast.

Regular Grease Paint is similar, but has longer shelf life depending on what the base really is. I doubt you'll find the old old old fashioned kind with bacon fat in it any more. LOL!

Pencils are handy as they are sterilized when sharpened (Again as long as you clean the sharpener as well)

I am not OCD honestly, but I usually worked with LARGE casts of make-up intense shows, and keeping everything sanitary was an absolute must. Kind of one of the reasons I am attracted to the idea of airbrush for face painting.

That said- the air brush makeups are either water or alcohol based. Water based will last a year - 2 1/2 years since the makeup only goes in one directions... Ie never from face to bottle. The Alcohol based could last as long or longer as they are alcohol based. Now, no clue how long before the PIGMENT deteriorates, which while it might not create a health concern, it certainly could make the product behave wrong.

Alcohol based paints of course create tons of other health and safety issues and are better not used on face or children.

Graftobian makes a hybred makeup half water half alcohol that I HAVE been using on adult faces with good results. Again should last a long time due to the partial alcohol base.

Dean

leapinglizards

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2009-10-31

http://www.livecanvasart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:05 pm

Wow.... Everyone watch Dean lay down some wicked knowledge!!!!! cheers Cool!
JBax
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down