Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ml versus grams---so confused

+2
Perry Noia
martha
6 posters

Go down

ml versus grams---so confused Empty ml versus grams---so confused

Post by martha Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:30 pm

How on earth do you know how much paint you are getting? Been trying out different brands and I swear that 18 ml snaz looks like more paint than 40 gm paradise. Using a ml to gm converter said 1 ml equals 1 gm. Is it wrong? Question
martha
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

ml versus grams---so confused Empty Re: ml versus grams---so confused

Post by Perry Noia Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:33 pm

ml is a measure of volume, grams are a measure of weight... you can't really convert them. Also, different brands will wear differently with use because they don't dissolve in the water the same way.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:33 am

And to add to the confusion... I have a collection of Kryolan Aquacolours (regular, metalic and interferenze) all containers are the same size (the white Professional size with the clear centre) and they are a variety of volume/weights there is a 1 ounce, 2 ounce, 2.5 ounce, 3 ounce.... 30 gm, 60 gm, 70 gm, 90 gm... someone want to explain that? scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by elantaura Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:44 am

The kryolan confussed the hell out of me ... I recently bought some to try... but spent days trying to guess/figure out what size it would be.
To give an idea of what I went through as never having had this befoe and was new to it

the inteferenz 60gm was the same size, as caramine red 70gm
then If that wasn't enough
Interferenze and metalics say 2.0oz on the back of the same sise pot of caramine red says 2.5oz - WTF!!!

I agree with Shannon on that It is a very confussing paint.
elantaura
elantaura

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://suejuddfacepaintingandbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:36 am

In the end it doesn't matter really BUT when you are trying to figure out a cost per (insert measurement here) to do a comparison.... oy!

Kryolan is a good product that lasts a long time in comparison to the same volume of other brands but it does give one a headache!

Back to top Go down

Post by Who B What E Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:06 pm

I know from working at a Mineral Makeup company that some of the ingredients weighed more than others, even though we packaged them in the same size containers. Each formula had a different weight and label. So maybe it's the same with the different colors of paint, maybe the darker pigments use more of an ingredient that weighs more, and the different paint formulas(metallic, pearl) could weigh more due to the ingredients in them. We got questioned all the time about it!
Who B What E
Who B What E

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2011-10-23

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Smiley-Faces-by-Jo/27768237893

Back to top Go down

Post by KaraMundy Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:30 pm

whobwhate wrote:I know from working at a Mineral Makeup company that some of the ingredients weighed more than others, even though we packaged them in the same size containers. Each formula had a different weight and label. So maybe it's the same with the different colors of paint, maybe the darker pigments use more of an ingredient that weighs more, and the different paint formulas(metallic, pearl) could weigh more due to the ingredients in them. We got questioned all the time about it!

I was thinking the same thing.
KaraMundy
KaraMundy

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2009-11-16

http://www.KaraMundy.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by martha Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:30 pm

Thanks for the responses. Perry the gram to ml thing is supposed to work in water weight. I'm just confused cause there is really no standardization of product. Love your example Shannon...30, 60, 70 (where did your extra 5 gms go?) Guess I'll just have to wait till I get enough product experience under my belt to know what's the best bang for my buck.
martha
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by elantaura Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:47 am

it has to do with the actual weight of what ever is in it, and if you say pick up the red and for example the yellow you can feel the difference.

but It would be so much better if they said for example sample pot then, small, medium and large? and put the gm, oz in the description.
as I remember - when I first started .trying to figure out what to buy. looking at the 18ml of snaz and then looking at the say 32gm Tag and thinking man that snazaroo is expensive - LOL.
elantaura
elantaura

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://suejuddfacepaintingandbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Misha Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:57 am

Cost of pigments probably, ahem, weighs in on it all too.
Misha
Misha

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down