Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

had a go at henna

5 posters

Go down

had a go at henna Empty had a go at henna

Post by elantaura Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:14 pm

This is my first try on my daughter who is a fidget. she tried her best but sort of ruined the fingers as she is a child and just cant do one hour let alone 4 to 12
had a go at henna IMG_1644
we went with this type as there is a significant amout of arabic ethnicity at her school. so it was very interesting for her and her friends. also about 3 of the mothers really don't aprove. alot do and have been telling me what they like and in about 15 years I have bookings from a pile of little girls. this was soposed to be fun but also turned into an interesting social experiment. (as I am a westerner)
and due to her movement thie finger ones didn't go good so we painted over them.But you cant just paint the fingers looked odd
had a go at henna IMG_1647
I am getting more tips from the 9 year olds on what they see there sisters and mothers have.
and next year as I have alot of hindu friends going to try more what I have seen them do.
but again had it not been for kim and FABATV I probebly wouldn't have tried this for a while.
elantaura
elantaura

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://suejuddfacepaintingandbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

had a go at henna Empty Re: had a go at henna

Post by clowngirl Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:03 am

That's really cool!

clowngirl

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2011-10-26

https://www.facebook.com/Lulu.Clown?ref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post by martha Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:38 am

That's awesome. Only thing that struck me was it seemed as if your design got really sparse as you went to fingers. Maybe needed something to fill in between the flowers?
martha
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:45 am

FANTASTIC for a first try out! And don't get discouraged! Keep it up and you will be shocked at where you are in a month! Much like how we wowed ourselves when we first started painting..then we look back and wince, you keep this pic and file it away. Keep playing and look again at where you have come in a month and I think that is all you will need to toss yourself right over the henna cliff with a big smile! Welcome to the HENNA SIDE!! LOL

And thank you for the kindness! You have no idea how much joy it gives me to know if even one person was moved to give this fantastic artform a whirl!

My sister now lives in Australia and I'm hoping that in order to be able to afford to see her, I may actually teach a 1 or 2 day immersive in Australia to augment the ouchie that that trip would do to our household income! SO perhaps someday I'll get to give you a henna hug in person!!!

Keep up the good work!

PS. Do not be discouraged by the wrinkled noses you may encounter in some communities. It is mostly shock and (unfortunately) jelousy and in some cases, the worry about compitition that causes this. Most are actually quite happy that someone has taken and interest in something that they percieve as from thier culture and embraced it. It is like saying 'I accept henna, and therefore 'see' you and accept you...we now have something in common!'. Remember that henna is an artform and it crosses many religions, cultures and spaces and really belongs to no one so 'claiming' it is bogus!
Mehndi Masala
Mehndi Masala

Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2010-12-04

http://www.winnipeghenna.com

Back to top Go down

Post by elantaura Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:23 pm

If you do come to Australia, don't just do Henna do henna and face and/or body painting too. the reason being is that. You will be able to fill the classes alot easyer, to recover you trip cost. also If you are coming PM me a few months ahead as I have too many kids and need time to save-LOL
and I will come if you do a Sydney one.
there arn't a great deal of people doing Henna in Sydney right now,(on google) so I don't know how it would be recieved. I know there are Henna artists within there ethnic groups (the little girls told me that) but they very much keep to there own communitys. I assume they are word of mouth.
Thanks for you encouragement !!!!

and martha we wen't with the sparce design i.e. space as that is the main trend with the mothers/sisters and aunts in the community, that we are in.
I know that my hindu friends have a different more dense designs. I have been to alot of Hindu weddings.
Fijian indians if you ever go to one bring alot of coconuts - seriously.

Fijian indians are not the same as the indians from india they again have a diffrent culture and style with things. (I don't know any indians) i and from what i seen the fijians prefer the dense type - there may be a word I dont know- to new to henna.

And It also deepends on which god they follow as too there traditions. There are basically five deities: Shiva, Vishnu, Devi, Surya and Ganesha.
I know alot of Ganesha followers - the elephant god one. and a few Shivas. we have conversations. although I am not hindu I know a little bit about it.

elantaura
elantaura

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://suejuddfacepaintingandbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by martha Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:02 pm

Wow, thanks for the insight. Didn't know there were actually different hennna cultures. Just shows that the deeper you get into something, the more you find to learn.
martha
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:34 pm

I have wondered about the cultural aspects too Kim. You have certainly inspired me to add henna to my business. How much do you think we should we know about the henna cultures? I am just looking at henna as art, and I would never want to offend anyone.

My daughter and I both have henna on right now, and while we were shopping yesterday, I must have been asked 4 times where we got it, and I handed them my card! That was cool. Better than painting yourself, for sure, and I can get my teenaged kids to wear it! Here is hers...had a go at henna Henna11
a face painting mom
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:16 am

Henna is a growing and learning experience and it really never stops! Between family henna traditions, regional traditions, and new traditions, it helps to connect both with clients who are interested (don't want to sound like a dork knowing nothing or worse...misinformation) and with those who come from cultures who traditionally use henna. It's good for biz, and good for your heart and confidence in the artform!

If you know your stuff, then you can develop trust and rapport with your present and future clients. It is an art, but knowing some background only helps. Too many people stop at just barely scratching the surface and then they can run the risk of not being taken seriously in a conversation. As long as you know how to mix properly, you get good stain every time and you are ensuring that you are 'up to snuff' with line control and being able to do a small (and hopefully growing) batch of patterns successfully, (practice practice practice) you understand the dangers of the black henna (does not exist, evil chemical) , you are good to start adding to your biz!

You are in the HEART of henna science...or at least close to it being in Ohio! http://www.empirekent.com/ Here is the home of THE hennapage. Find out when they are open, find out when thier henna day is, spring for a henna for yourself and ask a million and one questions! If you get CCJ, well consider yourself in the company of greatness! (bowing is not required tho)
Mehndi Masala
Mehndi Masala

Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2010-12-04

http://www.winnipeghenna.com

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:29 pm

That would be quite a road trip, but I just may have to make it. So many beatiful things to learn, and that looks like a shop to just get lost in for hours at a time.

I hear your voice in my head all the time...henna is brown, or brown, or brown! and "you already have these skills" you are very encouraging! FABA TV is great, cant wait to watch the advanced class and see your rose.

Martha
a face painting mom
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down