Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Henna itchying (NATURAL HENNA)

2 posters

Go down

Henna itchying (NATURAL HENNA) Empty Henna itchying (NATURAL HENNA)

Post by Kittyswish Sat May 04, 2013 10:27 pm

I just got into henna, and went to a wonderful henna class, and I was using some great Jamila henna mixed with only lemon juice and neroli and cajput oils, that was given to me, (it was frozen for a few months) I applied it late in the afternoon around 6 and wanted to leave it on overnight, as it dried and tightened up it got a little itchy, my skin is not red or inflamed in any way, its just a slight itch from the henna drying and tightening. It is just irritating enough that I may have trouble sleeping. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for something I could spray on it or wrap it in before I go to bed that may settle the slight itch.

Henna itchying (NATURAL HENNA) Hennam10
Kittyswish
Kittyswish

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2011-05-24

http://www.Callicocrafts.com

Back to top Go down

Henna itchying (NATURAL HENNA) Empty Re: Henna itchying (NATURAL HENNA)

Post by tamarielpaints Sat May 04, 2013 11:56 pm

I adore henna - but it should not be itchy nor a source of misery that keeps you up at night. Some thoughts -
- Would you define yourself as typically having dry or sensitive skin?

- Cajeput can be a little strong. Maybe you had some mild dermatitis from it...next time you can try try lavender.

- Did you sugar seal? I like to use sugar/lemon juice or a scented henna caravan sugar seal spray. I once tried a scented spray that apparently bothered my allergies b/c I itched like mad afterwards.

- Do you have any allergies? I'm assuming you wouldn't knowingly put something that you are allergic to onto your skin, but you might ahve a neroli allergy. Or a cajeput allergy. Also, remember that henna made in someone's kitchen could conceivably have trace amounts of something that you are allergic too. If a bowl to make henna was used two hours prior to make cashew brownies, someone with a nut/egg/wheat/dairy allergy might have a problem.

- You didn't make it, are you sure you know what's in it? I mean that both in terms of black henna (a BIG NO-NO!) and in terms of expiration date, too much essential oil (can make you itchy and be overpowering), some people have been known to add yucky stuff to henna, and what I mentioned above regarding random food allergies.

- Lastly, it's rare, but there are some very unlucky individuals that are allergic to henna. It's not common, but it happens every once a blue moon.

It goes without saying, but if you are really itchy - scrape off the paste early and report in to your doctor for your correct dose of anti-histamine.
tamarielpaints
tamarielpaints

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2010-12-07

http://www.tamarielpaints.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittyswish Sun May 05, 2013 12:07 am

I think it may just be some strong essential oils, In general I usually don't like to use too many in other things I use them for. I think I may go with lavender next time,
I do have moderately sensitive skin. I did not seal it this time. I am thinking about making some seal for next time. and in the class she taught us how to mix and showed us what she used, she tends to put a lot of essential oils in. Thank you so much for the helpful advice though! I just took the paste off, and everything looks fine, i was just hoping to leave it on for a darker stain. but no more slight un-comfort.
Thanks!
Kittyswish
Kittyswish

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2011-05-24

http://www.Callicocrafts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down