Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Profit Share

+3
fairyfox
Perry Noia
zeebee
7 posters

Go down

Profit Share Empty Profit Share

Post by zeebee Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:09 am

I really did try to search but didn't come up with much. I was wondering if anyone has experience with profit share. I am negotiating right now. It is a new event and I am not sure how it will go, so I would rather just give them a portion of what I make. I am sure some of you have experience with this, can you tell me...what kind of arrangement have you worked out? If it's a flat amount per face, who keeps track and if it's you the face painter, then how? I don't usually count how many I paint if I am busy, I just go, go go. Any ideas? Thank you!!
zeebee
zeebee

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2010-05-21

Back to top Go down

Profit Share Empty Re: Profit Share

Post by Perry Noia Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:40 am

I have done several events where I have given a percentage instead of a flat fee. Count your starting cash, count your ending cash, find the difference and multiply by the percent. You don't need to go per face, just a percentage of your money.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:04 pm

Yes that is another option, what do you think is fair/typical to offer them? They keep 20% maybe?
zeebee
zeebee

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:31 pm

anywhere between 15% and 25% I think is typical... I'd not go higher than 25% unless it is a charity that you really love.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:50 pm

Ok I proposed 20%, I hope the agree!! Thank you Perry
zeebee
zeebee

Back to top Go down

Post by fairyfox Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:18 pm

Remember you only need to share the charged amount. Tips are all yours! (you can double check that with them, but that is usually my arrangement)
fairyfox
fairyfox

Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2011-04-22

http://jacanaparties.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:23 pm

Ditto what Fairyfox said about tips being separate. And I deduct my expenses first. Paying my helper(s), an estimated bit of product usage, gas, etc... And if I had to buy something to eat while there, I consider it an expense.
I have done 15% for a regular business which lets me set up and charge, and 30% for a major event that was a fundraiser. (for the fundraiser, I put out a sign that 30% of my proceeds benefitted the charity.)
My agreement for profit sharing states that I pay X% of my proceeds.
rthling
rthling

Number of posts : 1830
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:05 pm

Okay help again please!

this is a new gig and they want a percent of SALES. That sounds like they want a percentage of everything right? Not me deduct my expenses and then give them a percentage of the rest?

Tips are separate and that would be mine.

It is a charity that I love--they suggested 20-25% I was thinking that maybe for 20% I could offer to come 30 min early and paint the cast for free. (Last year I painted the cast anyway, but didn't come early, it was just whoever was there). I am afraid I might get inundated if I do that though.
zeebee
zeebee

Back to top Go down

Post by PerfectlyPaintedFaces Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:39 pm

If you want to keep track of how many faces you're painting at a big event, this is what I've done in the past:

At a Zombie Walk, I had one of my friends be the cashier, and then there were 3 other people face painting with me. When my cashier took the money and gave them change, he'd also hand them a ticket - they sell these rolls of tickets at the dollar store. Then the person would take their ticket to the face painter they chose and put it in their jar. At the end of it all, I just had to count up the tickets everyone earned and pay them accordingly. So the people who worked the fastest got paid the most. It worked out really well!
PerfectlyPaintedFaces
PerfectlyPaintedFaces

Number of posts : 882
Registration date : 2011-11-03

http://www.perfectlypaintedfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:06 pm

percent of sales means everything and it is easier for you... you don't need to keep track of the number of customers, you don't need to do multiple calculations... just count your change at the beginning, you total cash at the end, subtract your starting cash and multiply by the percentage to see how much to give them.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Back to top Go down

Post by contrachapado Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:07 am

If it were me, I'd make sure to stipulate that you get at least $XX. Otherwise, if the event is a bust you'll go home with a pittance that won't even cover your costs. (Speaking from experience here.) If you know you'll be busy, though, that precaution may not be necessary.
contrachapado
contrachapado

Number of posts : 751
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by MelodyFPL Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:08 pm

20% is high in my opinion. I give 10 - 15%
MelodyFPL
MelodyFPL

Number of posts : 943
Registration date : 2011-07-02